PDA

View Full Version : Grrr, cats!

bobwysiwyg
16-Apr-2010, 15:11
I shot some 4x5's over the past few days. Went to process them and stepped out of the room for about two minutes before starting. Our loving cat slipped in, my fault, and he loves to paw things off tables, etc. to watch them bounce onto the floor. This time, it was my Combi Plan tank. :mad: and two corners were cracked. I went ahead, but had to modify my agitation maneuvers a bit, but the sheets turned out fine. Good thing we love the little bugger. :)

Drew Wiley
16-Apr-2010, 16:15
I was setting up a studio shoot once with a brand-new big roll of blue studio backgrnd
paper suspended from a rod on the ceiling and draped to the floor. My particularly rambunctious cat of the era got ahold of it and started unravelling it as fast as he could, then rerolled the whole thing around himself on the floor at the same time,
all while flailing his claws like crazy until he turned the entire new roll into confetti.
My portrait clients arrived just in time to witness the incredible mess.

bobwysiwyg
16-Apr-2010, 16:36
YOu beat me. :D

Jim Graves
16-Apr-2010, 18:13
Yes ... I have Rumsford the Photography Cat ... one that T.S. Eliot surely overlooked in his set of cat poems ... he likes the whir of the Beseler motor turning the Jobo 3005 ... but he is very careful about stepping around everything and settling into the most inconvenient work area during my developing. As you can tell from the picture, he's also into classic 35mm:

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Rums%20Photographer.jpg

Michael Cienfuegos
16-Apr-2010, 20:20
My girlfriend's Persian was asleep in the closet I use to load my film holders. I didn't see her until it was too late. I was loading a 5x7 holder and suddenly there was this "thud" as she landed on my little work table on top of a film holder. It is amazing how much fur they can leave on a sheet of film. She is a silver gray kitty, same color as my carpet, She really blends in. I am much more careful now to be sure the cat is out of the closet before loading or unloading film holders.

Ari
16-Apr-2010, 23:31
I have a dog.
The only problem is that he's too awesome.:)
http://i42.tinypic.com/28l6rnm.jpg

dsphotog
16-Apr-2010, 23:38
We have 2 cats, mine is the best cat ever.
OTOH, my wifes cat is rotten, & pisses and/or barfs on anything of mine thats important .
(especially camera bags)

ki6mf
17-Apr-2010, 04:40
We have two cats and they do occasionally allow me to shoot them. They were our children's cats. Then the children went away to university, we cant have cats at school. after graduation they got their own apartments, we cant have cats at the apartment. then they move to another state and got married, Alex doesn't like cats. One day they said guess what we rescued a lost kitty and Alex likes him too. Now these are my cats.

The difference between cats and dogs is the dog says they feed me and give me water they must be god. The cat says they feed me and give me water I must be god.

Once in a while i see where a a cat hair got on a negative and that print is ruined. The cat looks at me and says Yea So?

Drew Wiley
17-Apr-2010, 10:05
My darkrooms are in a different building from my house, with pets not allowed,
although cats have sometimes formally objected to this rule by spraying on my
air intake vent. The biggest risk is cat hair on myself or clothing as I enter the lab
area. So I use the compressor to blow everything off and then put on a cleanroom
smock if necessary. Working with film or color printing is the most fussy time of
course. But right now I've got to chase the cats off the camera pack in the back
of my truck so I can go shoot!

Preston
17-Apr-2010, 10:37
We can't have cats at my place, but the fallout from my aging scalp makes up for it!

btw: Cats don't have 'owners'. They have 'staff'.

--P

bobwysiwyg
17-Apr-2010, 12:15
btw: Cats don't have 'owners'. They have 'staff'.

--P

How true, and we are not always commensurately rewarded for our efforts. :D

Nathan Potter
17-Apr-2010, 16:57
Ahh, those pesky cats. Perhaps it's time for a trip to the local Vietnamese restaurant - with cat. ;)

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Ari
17-Apr-2010, 17:37
Nate, I'd say you just lost the "I Love Cats" crowd, not to mention the "I Love Pho" people.

Diane Maher
17-Apr-2010, 21:05
I have six cats and do LF photography. :D

Drew Wiley
18-Apr-2010, 14:12
Watch out, Nathan - one of my cats is right here sitting on top my Mac and potentially reading what you wrote. You probably already know that cats are finicky,
and mine will only eat the fresh meat of photographers who switch from LF to digital. Hopefully you do not fall under that category.

Nathan Potter
19-Apr-2010, 11:24
Well gee. Don't get me wrong; I like cats. I've had some wonderful cats. But occasionally I have to give cat fanatics a bit of perspective. When I moved to TX from MA. I drove my daughters cat "pumpkin" along with 30 cases of wine in a van to Austin. I had made a stop at a gas station in north TX. when a local rancher pulled in and spying my cat peering out the van window drawled, "cat huh, they're good for target practice". That was my introduction to TX. Fortunately Austin turned out to be more civilized.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Tom Monego
19-Apr-2010, 11:34
Almost lost a Rollei Wide (55 Zeiss Distagon on a Rollei TLR) to a cat pulling it off a table. Got a note back from Rollei when they returned the camera. They tried to explain that this camera was now a collector's item and should be treated better. I had bought the camera for $500 and sold it for almost $2K 3 years later. Bought a Horseman 980 with the money, realized I had gone from the sharpest lens I have ever used, to a set of the softest, sold that for an 8x10, that for a Mamyia RB, then a Linhof Technika 4. So all my camera trace back to the Rollei Wide.

Tom

GPS
19-Apr-2010, 11:55
Good thing we love the little bugger. :)

That's the correct perspective. What's some Combi Plan tank whatever in comparison with your cat?? You know cats can feel your feelings... This one is already interested in the LF!

paulr
19-Apr-2010, 12:44
When I had a darkroom I always printed at night so I could leave the door open. Printing was much more enjoyable when my cat could wander in and out.

He also helped with editing ...

http://paulraphaelson.com/eli/images/10eli%20editing.jpg

GPS
19-Apr-2010, 12:55
When I had a darkroom I always printed at night so I could leave the door open. Printing was much more enjoyable when my cat could wander in and out.

He also helped with editing ...

http://paulraphaelson.com/eli/images/10eli%20editing.jpg

If you love him, why is he so obese?:(

Michael Cienfuegos
19-Apr-2010, 13:14

He probably suffers from an overactive can opener.

My cat is sitting on my keyboard as I type. I shoved her off so that I can finish this message. She follows me around the house like a little dog.

GPS
19-Apr-2010, 13:16
He probably suffers from an overactive can opener.

My cat is sitting on my keyboard as I type. I shoved her off so that I can finish this message. She follows me around the house like a little dog.

Fortunately we don't write anymore on the old typewriters - remember how our cats wanted to interfere...? :)

paulr
19-Apr-2010, 13:36

He's no longer around, sadly. died a few weeks shy of his 19th birthday from mouth cancer.

You're right that he looks like a total blimp in that pic, but in truth he was never more than a little plump. At his peak he weighed 22 lbs, and vet said "i'd like to see him get down to 20." Which he did :)

Just a big, long, fluffy cat.

cdholden
19-Apr-2010, 19:16
My daughter always reminds me how much she loves her cats.
For some reason, she gets angry when I ask if she wants to try my favorite recipe.