PDA

View Full Version : Is such a PETZVAL lens?

renes
15-Apr-2010, 04:11
I try to find 6" or 6 ½" (even 7 inch) petzval lens but with about fastest f/6 that would fit to my 6x9 camera. It has to be shuttered or could go into #1 shutter (or old 1.R.3 Compur)with 40mm front thread.

Were such small petzvals made for 6x9 by Darlot, Hermagis, Emil Busch or other famous petzval makers?

Or I have to look for non-name projection petzval?

Thanks.

goamules
15-Apr-2010, 07:14
Hi,
They come in all sizes and speeds. I have 5" petzvals and 20" petzvals. F3 to F10. As far as which one fits a particular shutter, that's more difficult. I don't think there was much standardization back then, it's sometimes trial and error.

Jon Wilson
15-Apr-2010, 19:05
Your best bet would be have a shutter mounted on the front of your petzval. You can use some mole skin or other suitable material to attach the shutter to the lens or could have it threaded. I picked up a meniscus lens which an alphax shutter front mounted which Jim Galli had machined. It is a true gem.

renes
16-Apr-2010, 03:37
Thanks.
I need shutter not only for exposure setting but also to fit the lens to my 6x9 Bergheil. Lensboard is fixed, the lens can be fited by special bayonet flange srewed to shutter, therefore petzval lens has to be put to the front shutter.

eddie
16-Apr-2010, 04:16
seems like everyone wants to put a 6 inch petzval into a shutter. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=61297)

basically the short answer in no. you can not do this. no 6 inch petzval lens will fit a #1 shutter. you may be able to find a real small one about 50mm or less that may go....(maybe you can find a super super slow one that may go, but i doubt it)

you are better off using those heliars you just sold.....:)

renes
16-Apr-2010, 13:28
I still have a few of them :)

And still hope to find slow f/6 petzval with 40mm thread.

Jim Galli
28-Apr-2010, 15:13
I still have a few of them :)

And still hope to find slow f/6 petzval with 40mm thread.

I may have one for you. From memory I think it's about 141mm f6, so very tiny. You would have to macine a thread. Chances of finding what you want with the thread you want are slim. I'll get better measurements on Friday when I return home.

eddie
28-Apr-2010, 15:15
ha. i just saw the smallest petzval ever the other day....the ones that look like "regular" lenses not the cine ones.

i thought of rene as soon as i saw it. it was like 2 inches tall.

goamules
28-Apr-2010, 16:00
This one is 5" FL, and I just sold a 4" FL. I'd say if Jim get's you close to what you want, you better jump on it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/3518834444_e7e47db11d_o.jpg