PDA

View Full Version : Expensive Lenses and Soul Searching

Richard K.
14-Apr-2010, 17:33
OK after spending almost $10,000 (but that's unusual!) on lenses this past year (12 months, not since January!!) and that discussion on the 550 XXL, I've decided to not buy any more lenses (not even at that Brassie seminar next week in NYC) or order any cameras from Hugo, for quite a while!:)

Hmmm there is that a la George Harrison Rickenbacker 12 string Fire-Glo on eBay... I mean how else is one to get that CHANG in the opening chord of A Hard Day's Night?!?:rolleyes: Woah! Sorry, OK OK, I've snapped out of it...no lenses, no guitars!!

OK, while I'm becalming myself in this self-imposed moratorium on spending, how many lenses have YOU bought the past 12 months? Plan to? Is it a regular expense? Do tell all, some of us need guilt assuagement! :)

ic-racer
14-Apr-2010, 18:20
Actually I have not bought ANY guitars lately. But I capped it off when I hit 28. By not getting any more guitars I am allowed to get up to 28 LF lenses of equal value :) (Or so I told my wife).

lilmsmaggie
14-Apr-2010, 18:31
Let's see ... last time I bought a guitar was in 1976. Now lenses, that's a horse of a different color. In the past year, I've bought 4 lenses:

50mm 1.8 for my Canon ELAN 7

And Three used LF lenses:

90mm 6.8 Grandagon-N
135mm 5.6 APO-Sironar-S
210mm 5.6 APO-Sironar-S

I'm toying with the idea of maybe a 65mm Grandagon-N, or a Schenider Tele-Xenar Compact 350mm. Or maybe the idea is toying with me :D

Is this a regular expense? Nope. I'm new to LF, so I have acquired a case of GAS.
Hopefully, the symptoms will pass quickly; otherwise this may become habit forming.

Morca
14-Apr-2010, 18:36
None that didn't come with the cameras they're mounted on.

lilmsmaggie
14-Apr-2010, 18:48
or order any cameras from Hugo, for quite a while!:)

Is that anything like a Hugoectomy?

jp
14-Apr-2010, 19:03
I don't have it that bad.. Let see...

Kodak ektar 203 mm (for my speed graphic) <$200
Fuji 150w 5.6 (for a gowland aerial) <$200
Schneider symmar-s 300 5.6 (for my 8x10 B&J) $200
Voigtlander ultron 40 sl-2 (for my f4s/d300/d50/d100-ir) <$400
nikon 18-55 AFS (for my d100-ir) $100ish
el-nikkor 135 (for my cb7 enlarger) $150ish?
schneider componon-s 80/4 (for my chromega-b enlarger) $150ish

Chris Strobel
14-Apr-2010, 19:26
I'm planning on some new lenses for my eyeglasses soon, does that count? :D

jnantz
14-Apr-2010, 20:05
i bought a cyclone #5 box camera that had a lens attached to it ..
other than that ... i haven't bought a LF lens in a few years ...

Richard K.
14-Apr-2010, 20:14
Actually I have not bought ANY guitars lately. But I capped it off when I hit 28. By not getting any more guitars I am allowed to get up to 28 LF lenses of equal value :) (Or so I told my wife).

28 guitars!?!?!? WOW! Which 5 or so do you like best?

urs0polar
14-Apr-2010, 21:39
OK after spending almost $10,000 (but that's unusual!) on lenses this past year (12 months, not since January!!) and that discussion on the 550 XXL, I've decided to not buy any more lenses (not even at that Brassie seminar next week in NYC) or order any cameras from Hugo, for quite a while!:)

What Brassie seminar in NYC next week? Not that I need anything (haha), but it might be cool to stop by... where does one find out about these things?

rdenney
15-Apr-2010, 05:37
Lessee, already had the 47SA, 90SA, 121SA, and 8-1/2"Paragon. So, for my return to large-format work, I have bought a 65/5.6SA, a 180 Symmar Convertible, a 210 Sinaron (I don't always want that Paragon look), a 240 Caltar Type Y, and a 12"/6.3 Ilex-Caltar.

It might have been in the last year that I bought the Arsat 55mm PCS lens, too. Put it on a tilting adapter, and have a tilt-shift normal with huge coverage on my 5D. And there was also the Nikkor 180/2.8 ED that was priced too good to pass up.

I don't think I paid over $300 for any of them, or over $200 for more than one or two, for that matter. It certainly doesn't add up to $10K, so I can't help you with your guilt.

It was only slightly more than a year ago that I bought a B&S six-valve F tuba, but I sold an older five-valve version of the same instrument to pay for it. But those were my first tubas in about five years. I have eight of those, and each one exceeds the total cost (to me, at least) of my large-format equipment. So, maybe I can help you vis a vis your guitars.

Story: About 10 years ago, I was involved in triathlon, reviving my interest in bicycles from my college bike-racing days. My wife thought my eight bicycles were excessive. We were perusing a bike shop in Houston during a visit to family, and my wife, seeking to build a case against me, asked the guy behind the counter how many bikes he owned. Without hesitation, he responded, "Twelve. But I'm just getting started." And my wife has also met a major collector of historically important tubas, who keeps the bulk of them in a storage facility and only 75 or so of the most interesting ones in his (large) house. As long as the bills get paid and as long as her Christmas and birthday presents have the appropriate amount of sparkle, she doesn't fret.

I know this seems like conspicuous consumption to the starving artists. I would just say that we make choices--the starving artists have time to pursue the art because they buy that time from themselves rather than spending that time making money. That time is far more expensive than the equipment.

Rick "whose art is an act of completion more than self-definition" Denney

Richard K.
15-Apr-2010, 05:52
What Brassie seminar in NYC next week? Not that I need anything (haha), but it might be cool to stop by... where does one find out about these things?
Give ne a minute and I'll post something...

Paul Ewins
15-Apr-2010, 06:01
Hmm, I think the most I have paid for a single LF lens is $500 for a 12 3/4 Cooke knuckler. Fortunately Schneider doesn't seem to be a collectable brand so my (nearly) complete collection of Symmars and Symmar Ss wasn't nearly as expensive as it sounds (that and the fact that I don't mind buying from the scratch and dent end of the spectrum). Even the 150 Xenotar was one of the $300 proving ground specials.

Ironically I have resisted buying a new prime for my Pentax K7 digital because I hate paying more for a 35mm lens than the LF lenses.

Diane Maher
15-Apr-2010, 06:20
Richard, you know what LF lenses I bought last year, so I won't go into it here and now. :D I too am done buying lenses for a long time. Probably the only thing I will need to get is a whole plate reducing back for my Canham 8x10. I'm waiting for some holders from Hugo as we speak. I won't have an excuse that I need a certain lens for a certain camera. In fact, maybe I will be willing to pare down the herd a bit. :eek: :D :cool:

Richard K.
15-Apr-2010, 06:26
Richard, you know what LF lenses I bought last year, so I won't go into it here and now. :D I too am done buying lenses for a long time. Probably the only thing I will need to get is a whole plate reducing back for my Canham 8x10. I'm waiting for some holders from Hugo as we speak. I won't have an excuse that I need a certain lens for a certain camera. In fact, maybe I will be willing to pare down the herd a bit. :eek: :D :cool:

I'm still jealous of at least two of the lenses you bought!!

Ken Lee
15-Apr-2010, 06:42
Lenses can be beautiful. Cameras can be beautiful. Subjects can be beautiful. Photos can be beautiful.

Enjoy them all. It's cheaper than a psychiatrist, and safer than a motorcycle.

goamules
15-Apr-2010, 07:09
I've often been amazed by gear acquisition syndrome, or what I call collectoritous. I've noticed throughout my life that men especially become avid collectors (maybe women too, but they usually aren't involved in my hobbies). I half seriously think there is something instinctive in us, coming from our thousands of years as hunter-gatherers.

I've been into cars, guns, artifacts, motorcycles, guitars, lenses.... In each of those hobbies there is usually a collector group or nowadays a forum. It never ceases to amaze me that when someone poses the question, "I'm thinking of getting either an xyz or an abc...." The most common answer is "You need both!" I almost fell for this a couple years ago when I'd bought a Larrivee guitar that I loved. I was about to buy another one, slightly different, when I stood back and said "why?" Every signature line on this particular guitar forum had The List of every guitar owned. It was like medals on a soldier or something - the more the better.

I think collecting is an addiction. You try to regain that feeling you first had when you entered the hobbie, and actually each new purchase does feel good and sate you for a while. Until you realize there are other sizes, models, colors that you don't have. I'm as guilty as what I'm describing, but I think it's fascinating.

It doesn't matter if it's fishing lures, mandolins, coins, lenses - I've never heard of a newbie coming into the arena and saying "I just want one" and stopping. I think it's human nature.

Dan Fromm
15-Apr-2010, 07:27
Gee. I guess I don't belong in this club. In the last 12 months I've bought a handful of lenses, all but two for less than $50 and only two of them not "to see what it is/can do." All used. Can't imagine buying a new LF lens.

The two that matter were a 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon, plus a center filter for it several months later, and a 60/5.6 Hexanon as was sold for the Koni-Omega. I paid for the Apo-Grandy by selling a collectible lens that I was never going to use. There was an element of satisfying curiosity in the Hexanon; I wasn't sure it covered 2x3, now I know that it does.

The other (relatively) expensive lens was a 210/9 dagor type G-Claron bought as a speculation that I may keep. Not that I need another 210, so I'll probably sell it.

If the deal holds I'll buy an SMK 120 from a friend's estate. Not to use as intended, but for its two 55/5.6 Lamegons. If the deal doesn't hold, no problem, I already have more lenses than I need.

On second thought, I know I don't belong in this club. I still have two spin rods and reels that I bought in the late '50s. Conolon rods, Mitchell 300 and 308. All very unfashionable. They still work, I still catch fish with them, and they're all I have. NJ has changed the rules, now allows three poles/angler, but I'm not sure I need a third rig ...

Cheers,

Dan

Yes, I have on occasion eaten just one potato chip. It can be done.

Richard K.
15-Apr-2010, 07:52

Yes, I have on occasion eaten just one potato chip. It can be done.

I was believing you up to this point....:D

I'm just glad I'm not as fanatical in my guitar collecting (I have only 3, a Martin, a Yamaha 12 string and a '52 reissue Tele Hot Rod but I am thinking about a Ric 12 string and there is that incredible sounding Guild Blue grass special D50...:rolleyes: ..just kidding)

I was also into first edition books for quite a while. At least with these I was able to sell some off at a nice profit. I'm mad at myself for selling the Stiegg Larrson trilogy too early...

As I realize more and more that you can't take it with you and my kids wil ljust have a bigger headache to clean up, I'm tending to become more like you Dan in most things but lenses I still haven't evolved enough yet, and am afflicted the way goamules decribes...

Oh well as long as nobody gets an eye poked out...

rdenney
15-Apr-2010, 08:27
I have always maintained moral purity by asking the following questions:

1. Do I want it? (For hobbyists, need has nothing to do with it.)

2. Do I have the money? (That can be a complicated question.)

Beyond that, I doubt that I'm keeping real artists from making real art by buying the stuff that I do. I don't have kids and who ever has to deal with what my wife and I leave behind can just shovel it into a dumpster. The stuff that has real value (which includes very little of the photography equipment) will already has name tags hanging off of it.

Rick "a lot of whose stuff would already have been in some landfill somewhere were it not 'collected'" Denney

Richard K.
15-Apr-2010, 08:36
... It's cheaper than a psychiatrist, and safer than a motorcycle.

Cheaper than a psychiatrist, safer than a motorcycle. That will be my motto/justification from now on! :D Thank you Ken.

evan clarke
15-Apr-2010, 09:05
Bought one Monday, a Nikkor W 360mm for my 11x14. I thought I was done too until I got this camera and have bought 5 lenses in the last year. It's not a collection for me that I don't use. I grew up in and live in the world of tools and making things (high end pool cues) and see all my cmares and lenses as individual tools. Most of the time I use my 4x5 but I carry all my other formats with me 24/7, you just never know when the old 8x10 or 5x7 might be the right thing...Evan Clarke

jp
15-Apr-2010, 11:05
If you want to feel good about your collecting habit, just want "American Pickers" some evening on TV and learn about some of the fascinating collectors they buy from.

Michael Graves
15-Apr-2010, 11:32
I can't answer that accurately. It depends on what pops up on these pages! I love trying new lenses, but that usually forces me to decide which of the lesser-used lenses have to go. Right now, I'm playing with a 10" Commercial Ektar I recently acquired and comparing it to a 10" Ilex Paragon I've had for three years. One of them has to go, but I just can't decide which. Decisions are so HARD!!

lilmsmaggie
15-Apr-2010, 11:53
I think collecting is an addiction. You try to regain that feeling you first had when you entered the hobbie, and actually each new purchase does feel good and sate you for a while. Until you realize there are other sizes, models, colors that you don't have. I'm as guilty as what I'm describing, but I think it's fascinating.

It doesn't matter if it's fishing lures, mandolins, coins, lenses - I've never heard of a newbie coming into the arena and saying "I just want one" and stopping. I think it's human nature.

Guilty as charged your honor!

Actually, all my purchases with the exception of the Chamonix I recently purchased, have been used gear, all financed from the partial sale of a coin collection.

Yeah, coins! I collect 'em! -- But with all collections, sooner or later, you lose interest. Photography for me is a hobby. I don't really collect cameras or lenses. I've pretty much settled on three formats per se; digital, 35mm film and now 4x5.

Cameras, I consider them as tools, not collectibles. It's like the Microsoft Ad question:

"Where would you like to go today?"

I ask my self: "How do I want to express my photographic vision today?"

And I still have a pretty decent coin collection left to admire :) The only part of my collection that I will miss are the large currency (educational, silver certificates, a gold certificate and legal tender) notes I sold. Those were in themselves pieces of art.

Brian Ellis
15-Apr-2010, 12:02
One, a 17-40 f4 lens for my Canon 5D Mark II. But I sold a 300mm Canon f4 lens to pay for it so that shouldn't count since I was left with the same number of lenses (3) for that camera as before. I've never owned more than 4 lenses for the same format at the same time in my life. Money has nothing to do with it, I've peed away a small fortune on other things (cars, stereo gear, for example). But it's a matter of photographic principle. It seems to me that four lenses are enough so that I should be able to make any photographs I want to make, more than four for me and it's just buying another toy. Not knocking anyone who has more, that's fine for them. Four is just the number I've settled on as the number that should allow me to make every photograph I want to make.

sanking
15-Apr-2010, 12:04
I am going in the direction of eliminating rather than adding to my lens collection and decided to keep only what I have used more than five times over the course of the past three years. Not really that great a hurdle, you say. Well, over the past 9-12 months I have netted more than $10,000 USD by selling items that did not meet the hurdle.

Using the Schneider 550 XXL always left me a bit intimidated as I worried a lot about damaging it. It is such a pristine thing the thought of knocking the big camera over and watching the glass crash against a rock was constantly on my mind in field work. I read somewhere that an artist needs to be transparent to his/her tools but whenever I used that big boy it was always as much on my mind as what I was photographing.

Sandy King

Richard K.
15-Apr-2010, 12:07
If you want to feel good about your collecting habit, just want "American Pickers" some evening on TV and learn about some of the fascinating collectors they buy from.

Dare I? :rolleyes: :D

Richard K.
15-Apr-2010, 12:41
I am going in the direction of eliminating rather than adding to my lens collection ......
Sandy King

I'm doing that with everything BUT lenses. I think that as we get a certain age, there comes a summing up and we realize that what made us us won't cut it for our kids except maybe for a few universal worthy objects of art and family heirlooms and I don't want to stick anybody with cleaning up my mess. OTOH, lenses are still an attraction to me since there are examples of classic lenses I'd like to at least try - you know Port-Land et al. BUT, even there I'm reaching saturation point. For example, no more cameras, I have all the formats I want including a couple waiting for my old age (in a few months, sigh). The ONLY change I envision there, and this depends on what a friend manages to do, is to sell the 8x20 and 14x17 for his Mammoth (18x22). The rest, especially WP are not going anywhere. Lenses, well I have a list of "look fors" but I'm feeling less inclined to actually filling the whole thing. Books, guitars, I'm done (except for the odd amazing photo book). Growing old is an unbelievable drag but it's better than not...one of my younger son's favorite songs ("Parting of the Sensory" by Modest Mouse - quite profound- give it a listen) has the line "some day you will die somehow and something's gonna steal your carbon". Carbon, books, lenses..In light of that cheerful note, the only thing that really matters is to make the most of time left. :) :D

And, they can steal your photographs but not (the making of) your images, not even your carbon ones, Sandy!

Wow! Sorry about that left turn!!! :eek:

Dan Fromm
15-Apr-2010, 13:00
Richard, I accumulated entirely too many macro lenses when I was setting up to do without our local museum's Wild Photomakroscope. A lot because I had no idea which were good and affordable and which were bad and affordable. Well, now I know and now I have a better idea of what's affordable. Most of them are gone, what's left are the ones that are too good to part with or that are worth little and hard to sell.

I went through a similar process with lenses for shooting at distance. I've just finally settled on the set of lenses that travel with me. Most because taking them makes good sense, a few others because, need the focal lengths or not, I like 'em and they're small and light and I like 'em. Again, I have some to unload when I get around to it.

The ones that hurt a little were unknowns that needed expensive mounting/adapting before I could try them. But I was willing to pay the cost of learning how good they are so I don't complain about the, um, scars. I mean, they're honorable scars.

Incidentally, that's expensive by my standards. not by yours. If you go by Rolyn Optic's 1982 price list, I have > $10k worth of Boyer lenses, but they were all bought used for pennies on the dollar, delivery included. And I mean pennies, not dimes.

Cheers,

Dan

GPS
15-Apr-2010, 13:14

BUT, even there I'm reaching saturation point. For example, no more cameras, I have all the formats I want including a couple waiting for my old age (in a few months, sigh). The ONLY change I envision there, and this depends on what a friend manages to do, is to sell the 8x20 and 14x17 for his Mammoth (18x22). The rest, especially WP are not going anywhere.

Oh boy, you don't see it yet...? It's much more serious with you than if you only collected lenses...
Yesterday you had this format, today that one... Tomorrow?? How about 20x24? Aren't you salivating for one already?? Just imagine... being like Sandy... 20x24! After all, you already have the lens for it...

When I started to construct my own cameras I thought I would build a few of them, for different formats. Once built, I realized I wanted to make even the more specialized ones, one task cameras... When even them were built I suddenly invented a much better, lighter, steadier constructions, able to replace many cameras in one only... so I built them too, using the lenses from the older cameras. But then, what do you do with the older cameras? Toss them out? So much work on them... No, they rest in their cases (built specifically for them too...) Now, when the new generation of cameras has been built, is there any rest for me? NO! Constructions even more peculiar are already in my mind, seen the success of this new generation...
It's worse than motorcycles, hopeless for psychiatrists even if I don't buy new lenses anymore. Thank goodness, I only shoot chromes, forget about collecting older lenses.

So, you only want the Mammoth 18x22, don't you? ;) Did you know Sandy has 20x24 and is happy with it...?;) ;)

Richard K.
15-Apr-2010, 14:36
Oh boy, you don't see it yet...? It's much more serious with you than if you only collected lenses........
So, you only want the Mammoth 18x22, don't you? ;) Did you know Sandy has 20x24 and is happy with it...?;) ;)

OMIGOSH!!! Everyone can see it but me!!! I won't stop until I have Doug Busch's 40x60...N-O-O-O-O-O-O!!!!!!! I blame the Canadian winters!! Too much time to think and stare out the window!!!

Dan Fromm
15-Apr-2010, 15:10
OMIGOSH!!! Everyone can see it but me!!! I won't stop until I have Doug Busch's 40x60...N-O-O-O-O-O-O!!!!!!! I blame the Canadian winters!! Too much time to think and stare out the window!!!

$10K on cult lenses in a year? More money than sense.

Richard K.
15-Apr-2010, 15:22
$10K on cult lenses in a year? More money than sense.

But that was a bad year. Over the past 20 years I've averaged maybe $585/year. I don't smoke, drink , drug or sex :rolleyes: so I have to spend money on something!
Also, I don't think I've ever bought a cult lens unless you consider the XXL one.

benrains
15-Apr-2010, 18:03
I've picked up more lenses in the past 12 months than I should've; my excuse is that there have been a lot of good deals out there. :-) I suspect mainly that's because people are paring down their collections to pay their bills, and there are fewer folks out there with (or willing to part with) their expendable income.

Thankfully, with few exceptions, my preferences are for overlooked and ordinary lenses! I really like the quality of images produced with rapid rectilinears and tessars, so most of my purchases end up in the 100-200$US range. I did recently splurge on a 12" Wollensak Velostigmat because I wanted a proper soft-focus lens for 5x7 portrait work. Only occasionally have I seen these in a barrel aperture, which this lens had (I don't like the Wollensak studio shutters), so I didn't want to pass this one up. At 300$ it wasn't a bargain for a Velostigmat, but it was at least reasonable.

gnuyork
15-Apr-2010, 21:11
I just got the sironar S 210, and about a month ago the Grandagon 90. Sometime last year I bought a Summicron 50 for my M6, all used and EX+ condiotion from KEH. I am good for a while, but I would like to round it out with a 150 at some point. Will be a while. I've spent enough money lately.

Now guitars is another story. I must say I am proud of myself this year. No Les pauls or strats or teles or P basses or vintage drums... but in the past few years I have acquired a few.

Right now I really want a tele or that new cabrontia especial (1 pickup version). Luckily my friend has left 2 teles at my house for the past year. I'll probably buy one from him eventually - a CS custom tele relic. I'd really like the Marshall 1974x as well. I need a 2nd job:rolleyes:

benrains
16-Apr-2010, 07:56

Don't forget the Polaroid 40x80 camera (although it wasn't especially portable.)--
http://wikiprophoto.blogspot.com/2009/06/inside-polaroid-instant-40-x-80-camera.html

But there are ways to solve that problem :-)
http://www.cameratruck.net/Site/Landing.html

Mark Sawyer
16-Apr-2010, 09:32
I don't smoke, drink , drug or sex :rolleyes:

Dan's right, more money than sense! :D

Hugo Zhang
16-Apr-2010, 09:50
But that was a bad year. Over the past 20 years I've averaged maybe $585/year. I don't smoke, drink , drug or sex :rolleyes: so I have to spend money on something!
Also, I don't think I've ever bought a cult lens unless you consider the XXL one.

I know a fictional character whose twofold hobby was collecting old masters and young mistresses. Imagine that expenses and headaches!

I admire your great self control, Richard. :)

Kerik Kouklis
16-Apr-2010, 10:06
OK, no more cameras or lenses until you use up $10,000 worth of film and paper. :)

goamules
16-Apr-2010, 10:59
Oh yeah, that's the other aspect of GAS; we believe that if I just get a new _____, my _____ will be better.

GPS
16-Apr-2010, 11:38
You see Richard, as soon as you say "I bought a lens for $$$$" you will have a bunch of people saying - I wonder if it's worth it... Better to buy film... What a silly waste of money... one can also take good pictures with cheap lenses... etc.
You bought a lens that none other can replace for your purpose - let the bunch without it sing their songs, you take your pictures...

Richard K.
16-Apr-2010, 11:57
OK, no more cameras or lenses until you use up $10,000 worth of film and paper. :)

What's f-f-f i l m?!?

Richard K.
16-Apr-2010, 12:05
You see Richard, as soon as you say "I bought a lens for $$$$" you will have a bunch of people saying - I wonder if it's worth it... Better to buy film... What a silly waste of money... one can also take good pictures with cheap lenses... etc.
You bought a lens that none other can replace for your purpose - let the bunch without it sing their songs, you take your pictures...

I REALLY like the way you think, GPS!!! :D

And in a funny way I think the lens in question has rejuvenated me. I've been *out every day the past few days...:) People do seem to stop and stare when one whips out the big one! Yesterday must have been the 10th time I've been asked - is that a Hasselblad? Ans. Not for me and my name is not Blad! :rolleyes:

*yes with camera, yes taking pictures...

bobwysiwyg
16-Apr-2010, 12:09
is that a Hasselblad? Ans. Not for me and my name is not Blad!
:D

GPS
16-Apr-2010, 12:18

And in a funny way I think the lens in question has rejuvenated me. ...

How true! I know that, I still remember (each time I take that lens) when I bought my Nikon 800mm - the whole landscape around me was suddenly asking for a picture, here and there, and I felt like Alice in wonderland...:)

Monty McCutchen
16-Apr-2010, 14:28
Over the last four years I have bought two lenses that are somewhat unique for the 20 x 24 format. The 550 XXL that has been mentioned by Richard/Sandy and a Dallmeyer 8D Petzval that will cover a plate much bigger than even the 20 x 24. I'm happy to own both and for me they have been great tools to use with the format. I still don't know the Dallmeyer that well as it was a christmas purchase this year. I sold/will sell this summer quite a few of the 300-900 dollar lenses I had for other formats to help pay for the two special (at least to me) lenses as neither was in the same zip code as cheap. It will leave me with four lenses (the other two being much cheaper lenses) for the 20 x 24 and three lenses combined for the 10 x 12 and 7 x 17. By selling off the less expensive lenses, at least in comparison, that I had accumulated over a long period of time and wasn't using made the prices of the two special lenses more acceptable and what I am left with is a group of lenses that I enjoy working with that have different characteristics and give markedly different results.

Now if I could just purchase vision, talent, and time to practice I might one day make a single solitary dime off this crazy pursuit.

never say whoa in a boghole,

Monty

Don7x17
16-Apr-2010, 15:08
Over the last four years I have bought two lenses that are somewhat unique for the 20 x 24 format. The 550 XXL that has been mentioned by Richard/Sandy and a Dallmeyer 8D Petzval that will cover a plate much bigger than even the 20 x 24. I'm happy to own both and for me they have been great tools to use with the format. I still don't know the Dallmeyer that well as it was a christmas purchase this year. I sold/will sell this summer quite a few of the 300-900 dollar lenses I had for other formats to help pay for the two special (at least to me) lenses as neither was in the same zip code as cheap. It will leave me with four lenses (the other two being much cheaper lenses) for the 20 x 24 and three lenses combined for the 10 x 12 and 7 x 17. By selling off the less expensive lenses, at least in comparison, that I had accumulated over a long period of time and wasn't using made the prices of the two special lenses more acceptable and what I am left with is a group of lenses that I enjoy working with that have different characteristics and give markedly different results.

Now if I could just purchase vision, talent, and time to practice I might one day make a single solitary dime off this crazy pursuit.

never say whoa in a boghole,

Monty

Monty
Don't quit now -- if your camera has the bellows, take a look at the 1100 XXL. It's just what you need to round out the collection ;-)
Congrats on the 8D -that's a nice one. I wondered who had ponied up on this one.
Don

Armin Seeholzer
16-Apr-2010, 15:17
It's cheaper than a psychiatrist,

Thad one ist very good Ken

I'm just completed find the magic bullet syndrom without any psychiatrist and I'm doing fine now!
I only buyed two lenses around the last year booth for my digital DSLR!
A Nikon 70-300 VR II and Nikon 24-70 f 2.8 zoomlenses!
I have already to much LF lenses and I'm only selling some of them, but can't deside which one;--))))

Cheers Armin

Armin Seeholzer
16-Apr-2010, 15:17
It's cheaper than a psychiatrist,

Thad one ist very good Ken

I'm just completed find the magic bullet syndrom without any psychiatrist and I'm doing fine now!
I only buyed two lenses around the last year booth for my digital DSLR!
A Nikon 70-300 VR II and Nikon 24-70 f 2.8 zoomlenses!
I have already to much LF lenses and I'm only selling some of them, but can't deside which one;--))))

Cheers Armin

Jack Dahlgren
16-Apr-2010, 15:18
I was gonna say . . . I could burn through $10,000 worth of consumables while using just one lens. :eek:

. . . and still not have a decent picture to show for it. :(

By "consumables" do you mean beer?

John Kasaian
16-Apr-2010, 17:39
I haven't bought any lenses in years and I've even sold off the ones I don't really utilize, and I can play my first guitar every bit as badly as I ever did so I certainly don't need another one.

Jim Galli
16-Apr-2010, 21:05
Guilty!

But here's the rub. My beloved buys shoes, books on tape, CD's, glue, wax, plants, doggies, doggie food, more plants, clothes, more clothes, ad infinitum ad nauseum.

My point if I have one, is that if I have shopped wisely, the lenses that I have bought, enjoyed, appreciated, (made art with-----OK, this may be a stretch).......will be worth at least what I paid for them and usually more than I paid at a better rate than the current market. The stuff she bought ends up at the thrift store best case, and at the city dump, worst.

Ken Lee said it better, but, if you're having fun............for Pete sakes, have it! Life is short. Film expires. So do we.

Dirk Rösler
17-Apr-2010, 06:49
Perhaps Jim does not have the moral authority to comment on this topic ;)

Seriously, enjoy while you can but bear in mind that every new lens, or every other new to you piece of equipment will delay or distract you a little bit and might throw you off course creatively. Not always a bad thing, but you need to manage acquisitions carefully. In the old (young) days we didn't have the disposable income and had to make do with minimal resources, which is good for creativity. All of this is very personal of course.

Richard K.
17-Apr-2010, 06:50
..... Film expires. So do we.

That's an eloquent way of putting it, Jim!

Almost as good as "someday you will die somehow and something's gonna steal your carbon"

Your rationalization, not that one is needed, vis a vis the relative value of lenses and other consumer items is actually not only persuasive but mostly true. I have found that my lenses depreciate very little if at all (books can be good too, good photo books nearly always, and some 1st edition mysteries (Hint: buy 1st edition BRITISH mysteries - very low print runs)). Unlike lenses, you can't just sell an old pair of shoes to finance a new pair that you'd like to try on!

Dan Fromm
17-Apr-2010, 07:13
Richard, all teasing aside you're using your resources to please yourself. As far as I know you're not obligated to please any of us, with well-founded advice about which lenses to use (or not) or with appealing images.

Do what you will and be happy.

Richard K.
17-Apr-2010, 07:32
Richard, all teasing aside you're using your resources to please yourself. As far as I know you're not obligated to please any of us, with well-founded advice about which lenses to use (or not) or with appealing images.

Do what you will and be happy.

Thanks Dan. Seriously speaking, the old lenses have sparked renewed interest for me and my photography. I do, of course, enjoy the sense of communion with Watkins et al but the lenses themselves have subtle (or not so) characteristics that add to the enjoyment! As Jim has noted so eloquently, we have an expiry date, and that is usually enough justification for the occasional impulsive expense...:D

neil poulsen
17-Apr-2010, 09:02
I've been consolidating, selling a ton of stuff I didn't need. So, I've had a little extra cash on hand.

150mm Super Symmar. ($697)

16 1/2 Factory Coated f7.7 Dagor in original shutter. ($900)

150mm G-Claron lens cells. (About $60.)

50mm, 90mm, 127mm, 180mm, 360mm RB lenses. 80mm 645 lens. (Plus 4 bodies, accessories, all for $750.)

240mm Apo Rodagon. ($385.)

Unused 105mm Apo-Rodagon N. ($150.)

150mm El Nikkor A. ($60.)

58mm S. Angulon XL.

Yep. I think that's it. Rather more than I realized. I quote prices not so much to show how much I paid for them, but how little.

sanking
17-Apr-2010, 12:31
I've been consolidating, selling a ton of stuff I didn't need. So, I've had a little extra cash on hand.

150mm Super Symmar. ($697)

16 1/2 Factory Coated f7.7 Dagor in original shutter. ($900)

150mm G-Claron lens cells. (About $60.)

50mm, 90mm, 127mm, 180mm, 360mm RB lenses. 80mm 645 lens. (Plus 4 bodies, accessories, all for $750.)

240mm Apo Rodagon. ($385.)

Unused 105mm Apo-Rodagon N. ($150.)

150mm El Nikkor A. ($60.)

58mm S. Angulon XL.

Yep. I think that's it. Rather more than I realized. I quote prices not so much to show how much I paid for them, but how little.

Not sure I understand. Are you offering these items for sale? If so that is a real good price on the 16.5" coated Dagor.

Sandy King

carverlux
17-Apr-2010, 12:31
As I read this thread with great interest, I cannot help but wonder why so many are justifying their love of lenses with vows of fiscal and personal sanity. It is as if we have to limit our yearn for broader knowledge and vocabulary so everyone will understand us all the time or stop making new friends because they may be different from us.

Every time I get a new-to-me lens, I discover something very special. From some, it is their physical attributes: the quality of construction, their coating perfection, the flawless engravings. From others, it is their performance: sharpness, resolution, coverage, lack of flare. But to me, the most memorable are the ones beyond technical perfection and mastery, but ones that come with their own story.

Lenses tell stories. But each of them have stories of their own, and the most special ones are the ones born of passion and drive for delivering a special point of view, not just to reach a commercial goal. I can only imagine the exchange between Gillies and Smith when the Visual Quality was being conceived and the same for Perscheid and Busch. These stories form the bedrock of our intrigue and enthusiasm so why the denial?

In the hands of every new owner, these lenses continue to tell stories with a new bend and a new language. All of them bring the spirit of exploration and excitement, and perhaps most importantly, tidings of good that counter so many worrisome things in our daily lives, wherever we live. I feel this good in pictures I see posted on this forum everyday made by new owners of lenses from every corner of the world regardless of price and pedigree. For me, the story that comes with every lens makes me appreciate the work of the glorious artisans who built them, and allows me to speak ever more eloquently about my newfound glee in a special way.

Therefore, if this mini-treatise is a reasonable counterpoint to your unjustifiable guilt (or simply lust) for even more lenses, perhaps it is a good sign that you are alive, willing and able to tell more stories of your own, that you still have "it" and have not submitted to a mediocrity that you know is not you.

Enjoy!

Carver

Richard K.
17-Apr-2010, 15:18
Carverlux - well said, well said indeed!! I read your post several times, it made me feel that good. Thank you for that!

jeroldharter
17-Apr-2010, 15:23
I picked up:

210 Apo Sironar W
210 G-Claron
240 G-Claron
305 G-Claron
360 Schneider Symmar
450 Fujinon C
600 Fujinon C

I am done for awhile. Almost time to fish anyway.

Jim Galli
17-Apr-2010, 15:26
Carverlux - well said, well said indeed!! I read your post several times, it made me feel that good. Thank you for that!

Oh, Richard! You're certifiable and you know it. :D:D

Richard K.
17-Apr-2010, 15:37
Oh, Richard! You're certifiable and you know it. :D:D

I guess we'll know for sure after that auction tonight and tomorrow and the NYC Brassie seminar next Saturday....:D

Jim Galli
17-Apr-2010, 15:39
I guess we'll know for sure after that auction tonight and tomorrow and the NYC Brassie seminar next Saturday....:D

What auction?? What auction??? Did I miss something???? :eek:

Richard K.
17-Apr-2010, 15:43
What auction?? What auction??? Did I miss something???? :eek:

Yes you did, too late...don't even bother looking tonight ....:D :rolleyes:

Armin Seeholzer
18-Apr-2010, 02:38
I picked up:

210 Apo Sironar W
210 G-Claron
240 G-Claron
305 G-Claron
360 Schneider Symmar
450 Fujinon C
600 Fujinon C

I am done for awhile. Almost time to fish anyway.

Hi Jerold a very fine set but what is still missing is a really wide one at around 150-165mm, then you need some old glass for portraits with the swirly effect und a real SF lens and then you can say I am done.
:) :confused: :o :D

mrladewig
18-Apr-2010, 04:29
I don't think I've bought any lenses in 12 months. My last was a Nikkor 300M and I think that's been just at 12 months. My entire LF kit didn't cost 10K and I don't think all of my photo gear added up cost that much. I have been planning to pick up a longer lens at some point, but am still deciding whether I want a 400T (longest lens my tachihara will allow) or a long monorail and longer lens like 600 or 800T. I'm still undecided on this.

I've been trying to focus on taking better photographs with the gear I've got.

GPS
18-Apr-2010, 04:57
I have been planning to pick up a longer lens at some point, but am still deciding whether I want a 400T (longest lens my tachihara will allow) or a long monorail and longer lens like 600 or 800T. I'm still undecided on this.

I've been trying to focus on taking better photographs with the gear I've got.

A longer monorail with the longer lenses would save your from many frustrations. Vibrations from wind would ruin a lot of pictures if not your enthusiasm while using the Tachihara. On the contrary,a second cheap tripod under a long monorail will guarantee you peace of mind.

8x10 user
18-Apr-2010, 04:59
What auction!

Who got that great lens up in Minneapolis? Wish I saw it.

Yes you did, too late...don't even bother looking tonight ....:D :rolleyes:

Richard K.
18-Apr-2010, 06:17
What auction!

Who got that great lens up in Minneapolis? Wish I saw it.

What great lens in Minneapolis?

Allen in Montreal
18-Apr-2010, 06:25
.........OK after spending almost $10,000 (but that's unusual!) on lenses this past year (12 months........... Do tell all, some of us need guilt assuagement! :)

I was perfectly happy with a trimmed down, basic 4x5/5x7 kit after years of tinkering.

Then I met this lot!!

I have been tinkering ever since!
Changed my 5x7, picked up 2 4x5 cameras, got back in to 8x10, picked up a few Dursts....and it is all LFPF's Fault!

I don't need guilt assuagement, I feel better just pinning it all on your guys! :D :D

Richard K.
18-Apr-2010, 09:54
I don't need guilt assuagement, I feel better just pinning it all on your guys!:D

I blame us too!!! :D

Damn I'm mad that I was too cheap to win that Hermagis Petzval on eBay last night!!
Did one of you win it? :eek: Tell us! :)

Richard K.
18-Apr-2010, 09:56
I was perfectly happy
Then I met this lot!!

I have been tinkering ever since! :D

And you haven't even gotten into the whole Brass thing!!:D
You know you want to!!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Dan Fromm
18-Apr-2010, 10:00
Richard, why should any of us want crappy old lenses? Especially those of us who are short of money.

Richard K.
18-Apr-2010, 11:04
Richard, why should any of us want crappy old lenses? Especially those of us who are short of money.

Um...right ...good point...Allen (in Montreal), you DON'T want Brass lenses. They're expensive and crappy!!:p

8x10 user
18-Apr-2010, 12:34
8x10 Century Studio Camera
Apr 16, 2010 ... 14" Pinkham B1 Quality Lens (Rochester NY) and No. 1A Semi-Continental Stand made by Folmer Graflex Corp., Rochester NY. ...
minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pho/1695496349.html

What great lens in Minneapolis?

Jim Galli
18-Apr-2010, 12:48
Apr 16, 2010 ... 14" Pinkham B1 Quality Lens (Rochester NY) and No. 1A Semi-Continental Stand made by Folmer Graflex Corp., Rochester NY. ...

MAJOR crappy old camera and crappy old lens :D:D

Nope, it wasn't me..........

Richard K.
18-Apr-2010, 13:03

As I've intimated before, there's Craigslist and then there's C R A I G S L I S T !!!!
We don't ever get anything like that in Toronto!!!

8x10 user
18-Apr-2010, 16:32
Yeah, I don't normally look for things on Craigslist because I haven't had much success there. First time I find something really cool and I am two days too late. At least it is a lens that i already own :D

Andre Noble
18-Apr-2010, 18:47
Over Last year (12 Months):

A) (9) factory brand new Mamiya RB KL lenses from 65mm to 250mm (2 Apo's, 7 KL's). Most expensive a brand new 250 Apo for $899 from B&H, least expensive $200 127 KL.

B) 72 XL in Mint condition Calumet

C) Apo Rodagon 105 enlarging lens.

I will be stopping soon.