PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Panorama Repairs: Who ya gonna call?

rguinter
13-Apr-2010, 09:28
Greetings:

I have a second-hand Sinar Panorama 6x12 back which I acquired a number of years ago. Put away and never tried to use until recently.

Looks like the unit needs a professional CLA and some minor repairs/maintenance before I try to give it any serious use.

Anyone have suggestions for a professional repair technician who is proficient with the Sinar backs?

Much appreciated.

Cheers. Bob G.

R Miller
14-Apr-2010, 10:17
Bob,

The only 6x12 version I recall them making in that size are the variable format versions, which seem to be fairly sophisticated from a mechanical perspective. IF you are in the US, I would suggest Sinar Bron (or whatever they just changed their name to). You can google for their phone and they may be able to give you an estimate. Depending on the apparent condition, it may be worth it to run a roll or two of film through it first.

Regards,

Frank Petronio
14-Apr-2010, 10:23
Bob Watkins used to work for Sinar:

http://precisioncameraworks.com/

Oren Grad
14-Apr-2010, 10:45
The only 6x12 version I recall them making in that size are the variable format versions, which seem to be fairly sophisticated from a mechanical perspective.

They made a fixed-format 6x12 version, too, called the "Sinar Panorama" - IOW, the one Bob says he has. I had one for a while too. When I bought it second-hand, it was missing a small knob. I called Sinar Bron (now Bron Imaging) to ask if they could sell me the part, and they sent it to me for free. I'd try them first for a CLA and repairs.

Ken Lee
14-Apr-2010, 12:05
Another Sinar repair person is George Brown. He helped me adjust the diaphragm (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=60567) of my Sinar-mounted lens, pointing out that there was more than meets the eye.

George is also an eBay Seller of Sinar equipment at this location (http://shop.ebay.com/apogeebee/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=100&_sop=1&_rdc=1).

rdenney
14-Apr-2010, 13:08
It is very dangerous posting the ebay store of a guy who specializes in Sinar stuff. Very dangerous, indeed.

Rick "who just spent money he didn't need to spend" Denney

rguinter
14-Apr-2010, 18:23
Frank, Oren, Ken: Hey many thanks for the suggestions. Yes mine is the Sinar Panorama which is a fixed 6x12-cm version... the only reason I bought it. It was a steal of a price if I recall. And yes one of the little slide switch (knobs) is missing. Just the screw sticking out. I did run a roll of film through it and there is a light leak at that point which ruined all but the last shot on the roll. A low resolution of my scan is attached. The light leak is visible above the cabin roof.

I'll try Sinar first to see if they will still provide the part. Maybe one of their techs has a junk box full and can spare it. Inside it looks pretty clean but the felt is a bit worn upstream of the takeoff spool. Again thanks for the suggestions. Cheers. Bob G.

P.S. The film here is Ektar 100. Colors I've noticed are coming pretty close to that old Kodachrome-25 that I've been trying so hard to match with current films. At least the way my Epson 4990 sees it. Looking good.