PDA

View Full Version : Developing tank for taco method

Duane Polcou
12-Apr-2010, 16:58
Greetings.

I want an inexpensive tank for developing on the road (i.e, not a Jobo or an HP) using the taco method. Can anyone recommend a brand/size for 4 4x5 sheets at a time. I am considering a Paterson Super System 4 but I am not sure if there is enough vertical room.

Thanks
Duane

awldune
13-Apr-2010, 07:07
The Paterson that holds 2 120 reels (950ml?) has plenty of vertical space, but to me four "tacos" is a tight fit and I would worry about the corners scratching each other. Three is more comfortable.

Wallace_Billingham
13-Apr-2010, 12:14
The System 4 is the one that holds two 35mm or one 120 reel. I use it a lot for my 4x5 but I only ever do 2 sheets at a time.

They are small enough however that having two would be no problem and quite handy.

If you are going to buy them just for this use I would go with the Generic "AP" brand made in Spain. Freestyle sells them as "Arista"

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5031-Arista-Classic-Plastic-Developing-Tank-with-2-reels?cat_id=1603

The reels are much more finicky than the Patterson Reels for roll film but the tank is just as good and far cheaper. I have two of them and a Patterson tank

Duane Polcou
14-Apr-2010, 00:11
Thank you awldune and Wallace.

Rick A
15-Apr-2010, 04:47
I have a Super System 4 tank that I regurlarly process four 4x5's at a time in. It is a snug fit but works well for me.

domaz
16-Apr-2010, 08:15
Consider getting a Jobo Print Drum as well- they are not that expensive and can hold a good number of sheets. Not as easy as the Jobo 4x5 Reels but much much cheaper too.

Kevin Convery
19-May-2010, 07:58
Could one of the Super System 4 4x5 developers explain their methods to me? I'm sitting here with my tank and some scrap sheets trying to figure out how you fit four sheets in there and I'm just not getting it. Do you lay them along the side like you would with a unicolor tank(in which case, how more than two?) or am I just dense?

Wallace_Billingham
19-May-2010, 08:56
I bend the sheets over emolsion side in and use a rubber band to hold them in the taco shape then I just stand them up in the tank.

Make sure you use the center post as that keeps it light tight.

J Ney
19-May-2010, 09:22
Greetings.

I want an inexpensive tank for developing on the road (i.e, not a Jobo or an HP) using the taco method.

I've got to ask... what the heck is the "taco method?" I develop my 4x5 in bread pans so the film bends slightly in the way of a taco, but I think that is just my naivete.

SamReeves
20-May-2010, 08:19
The taco method is where you mix hot sauce with a shot of D-76 for faster development.

Michael Cienfuegos
20-May-2010, 12:49
The taco method is where you mix hot sauce with a shot of D-76 for faster development.

Yum!:p

Dave Jeffery
20-May-2010, 13:30
This is the link for the Taco method
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=30099

Gem Singer
20-May-2010, 14:34
Last fall, Ed Brock gave a demonstration of his film developing technique to the DFW Large Format group.

He calls it "The Soft Tube Method".

The method is described on the link that Dave referred to.

Very simple, convenient, and inexpensive. Especially if you already own a Paterson daylight rollfilm tank. Well worth a try.

The amazing thing about Ed is that he is visually impaired and uses a guide dog to get around. Yet he's still able to photograph with a 5x7 camera.

stevebrot
20-May-2010, 16:36
This is the link for the Taco method
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=30099

Similar, but not the same.

I have never used it, but the taco method uses a daylight roll film tank. You bend the sheet film, emulsion-side in, into a "taco" shape and slip a rubber band over the top to hold it in that position. Stand the taco-bent film in the tank and continue until available space is filled. Put the lid on the tank and process in the same manner as roll film.

Steve

Gem Singer
20-May-2010, 16:58
Steve,

Ed Brock's method is based the same principle as the, so called, "taco" method.

Instead of using a rubber band, or hair braid elastic to hold the film in a folded over (taco) shape, he places the folded piece of film in a tube made of soft plastic window screen material.

Then he stands these tubes in a daylight roll film tank, closes the top on the tank, and develops the film as if it were roll film.