PDA

View Full Version : u.v lighting

ret wisner
11-Apr-2010, 03:35

i was hoping that someone has some experience in using uv lights for alt process

ive found this and was hoping it could be useful for the purpose

ret wisner
12-Apr-2010, 03:26
anybody

Jim Noel
12-Apr-2010, 07:52
This box appears to have one tube above another on each side. This will likely cause more exposure along the edges than in the middle. Perhaps you can take the upper tube mounts and move them to the middle at the same height as the lower tubes. It should then be an effective UV source.
By the way, I am speaking of orienting the box with the tubes on top and hte negative/paper sandwich resting on the bottom.

ret wisner
12-Apr-2010, 14:40
i think its a reflector not a double tube

well i will have it in the post tomorow

if its no good i think i will work on my tan

Sevo
12-Apr-2010, 16:04
This rather looks like a home-etch PCB exposure box - home made PCBs are rather crude with resolutions below a line per mm, and that light might match these specs. It would be sort of ok for line work, but for quality continuous or half tone work you need either a UV point light source or a vacuum frame, and many alternative processes need rather more power than a ca. 20W tube.

D. Bryant
12-Apr-2010, 17:56
i think its a reflector not a double tube

well i will have it in the post tomorow

if its no good i think i will work on my tan

I think it may work better than people think. Mix up some cyanotype solution and print a step tablet.

Don Bryant

Brian Stein
12-Apr-2010, 22:13
Im with Don. Give it a try.
After all, in theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is ;-)

ret wisner
13-Apr-2010, 02:16
so should i expose directly on the glass plate or use it as a overhead light source?

D. Bryant
14-Apr-2010, 11:23
so should i expose directly on the glass plate or use it as a overhead light source?
No it's not a projection light source, for now just expose directly on the glass plate as an initial test.

Don

Vlad Soare
15-Apr-2010, 03:59
Ultraviolet (UV) light is electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength shorter than that of visible light, but longer than x-rays, in the range 10 nm to 400 nm, and energies from 3 eV to 124 eV. It is so named because the spectrum consists of electromagnetic waves with frequencies higher than those that humans identify as the color violet.
You've made three posts on this forum, all of which are direct copy/pastes from other sites and don't even have anything to do with the original posters' questions.
What's the point? What are you trying to prove? :confused:

Jim Michael
15-Apr-2010, 04:53
It's a bot preparing to leave some spam.

cdholden
24-Apr-2010, 08:35
Wow. That's cool.
I have similar abilities of precognition.
When my dog's tail is turned up, she's about to leave a surprise in the field. Watch where you walk!

Jim Michael
24-Apr-2010, 10:18
topologically equivalent :)

When my dog's tail is turned up, she's about to leave a surprise in the field.

ret wisner
24-Apr-2010, 13:22
tested the uv light tonight and it exposes a 4x5 inch salt print evenly and in 15min,got a shot exposing as i type.