PDA

View Full Version : 8 x 20 First shot!!!

johnschlicher
8-Apr-2010, 20:44
I got my hands on an old argyle 20 x 24 process camera and stand. I made a 8 x 20 film holder out of two old 8 x 10 film holders, and the dark slide out of 26 ga. sheet metal.

I had to make a complete back to hold the film holder, because these have the vacuum backs on them, and to tell the truth I really don't know how they work?

I've been shooting 8 x 10 for a couple of years now, But the image I saw on the ground glass was truly awesome, this was before I put my substitute 8 x 20 back in.

I starting shooting with a 4 x5 speed graflex which I still have, it's amazing how far this addiction will take you.

I'm ready to go make a pin hole camera out of semi-trailer

Who's with me?

8x20_Pano_Shooter
8-Apr-2010, 21:18
Welcome to the world of 8x20. My favorite size for shooting close by the van. The preferred backpacking format is 4x10.
Susan

argos33
8-Apr-2010, 23:27
Count me in! I started out borrowing a 4x5 for a project a few year back, now I have a 4x5, 8x10, and am building a 16x20. I have way too many projects and ideas than I can sanely handle! It is all great fun!

cdholden
9-Apr-2010, 13:49
I'm ready to go make a pin hole camera out of semi-trailer

Who's with me?

John,
Semi-trailer is the way to go! It's certainly bigger than a panel wagon.
Kick it up a notch over this guy:
http://www.cameratruck.net/Site/About%201.html

Chris

sanking
9-Apr-2010, 17:48
Welcome to the world of 8x20. My favorite size for shooting close by the van. The preferred backpacking format is 4x10.
Susan

I have a 20X24 and it has proven difficult to backpack more than a mile or so because of the weight of the holders. So I have decided to have a 10X24" reducing back made for the camera to cut down on weight and space. Or I could carry twice as many of the small holders.

However, the preferred backpacking camera for me is a 6X12 cm Noblex.

Sandy King

Chris Strobel
9-Apr-2010, 21:17

Sandy King

My preferred backpacking camera :D

http://www.warehouse123.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Minox-Digitale-Classic-Camera-DCC-5.0-Gold-0011.jpg

John Bowen
10-Apr-2010, 04:20
I have a 20X24 and it has proven difficult to backpack more than a mile or so because of the weight of the holders. So I have decided to have a 10X24" reducing back made for the camera to cut down on weight and space. Or I could carry twice as many of the small holders.

Sandy King

Sandy,
Sounds like you and Sam need to "figger out" a way to make carbon fiber/titanium film holders ;)

sanking
10-Apr-2010, 11:12
Sandy,
Sounds like you and Sam need to "figger out" a way to make carbon fiber/titanium film holders ;)

I am betting that the market for 20X24" holders that cost about $4000 each is prettty small!

Sandy