PDA

View Full Version : kODAK 2-D back

L Jim Moore
8-Apr-2010, 14:03
I have just aquired a Kodak 2-D in fairly good condition, and am in the process of giving it a good clean & face lift, there is some play fore & aft between the camera back and the main body, can anybody tell me if there should be a felt gasket/light seal in the back of the body?

Jon Shiu
8-Apr-2010, 14:29
There is no felt on my 2d

Jon

Mark Sawyer
8-Apr-2010, 14:53
Not on mine, either, nor have I ever seen one with felt on the back.

johnschlicher
8-Apr-2010, 15:26
I have just aquired a Kodak 2-D in fairly good condition, and am in the process of giving it a good clean & face lift, there is some play fore & aft between the camera back and the main body, can anybody tell me if there should be a felt gasket/light seal in the back of the body?

There should be a light trap built into the wood, My Burke & James has a little hook latch on top. Which I really like, keeps the back from coming off when you not paying attention and slamming a 8 x 10 holder in too fast

Regards John

Glenn Thoreson
8-Apr-2010, 16:27
No felt involved. It doesn't have to be real tight, but shouldn't flop around too much either. You can do some minor adjusting by tweaking the springs that hold it on. If it does prove to be a problem in use, it would be easy enough to glue some black ribbon on one side or t'other to take up some play.

Curt
8-Apr-2010, 17:02
No felt on mine, it's baffled by the design in the wood as to prevent light from leaking in. And what Glenn says to do if it's a problem. Putting felt in where it doesn't need it just attracts dust it seems to me. What size camera is it? I have a 5x7 and 8x10 Kodak 2D, they are hard to get rid of because they are so usable, simple and stout. I have extensions for both, if you can get the rear extension you will make it a super camera.

Curt

Steve Hamley
8-Apr-2010, 18:04
If the holes in the springs that the pins in the back get "egged" out with use, that can do it. Are the holes round or oval?

Cheers, Steve

Mark Sawyer
8-Apr-2010, 19:24
Whatever solution you come up with, I'd be sure to check very carefully afterwards that the holder's film plane matches the plane of the ground glass.

Glenn Thoreson
9-Apr-2010, 11:19
I've found it's often the top spring clips that cause the problem. The bottom doesn't seem to do it as much, in my experience. To re-align the top clips, remove them and fill the screw holes with a round tooth pick and wood glue. Place the clips on top and over the back pins. Hold in the position you need and mark the screw holes with a pencil point through the holes, or use an awl to punch center points. You can then drill new holes in the top, or just punch them with the awl or ice pick. When the clips are mounted, they should hold the back snug again. Good luck.