PDA

View Full Version : Lens Specs: 24" Apo Artar

David R Munson
20-Feb-2002, 16:46
I already searched the archives and the internet in general, but have not been able to find much technical info on the Goerz 24" f/ 11 Apo Artar. I just picked one up in barrel pretty cheap and would like to know a bit more about this lens specifically. Most info I've found has been on Artars in general, very little on specific Artars. Any info on image circle and that sort of thing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

N Dhananjay
20-Feb-2002, 17:17
Not sure I understand your question exactly - if you're looking for help dating the artar, you might have better luck by providing a serial number.

Artars are probably the most commonly available process lens. The design is a dialyte type. Zschokke of Goerz came up with the design of a symmetrical process lens for graphic arts - the first design was called the Alethar - a subsequent simpler design was called the Artar. The aberrations of a dialyte design are surprisingly constant over a wide range of object distances. The Artar consists of 4 elements in 4 groups. Artar were corrected for 1:1 - red dot artars were corrected for distances other than 1:1, the most common figure I've heard is 1:10. Coverage of artars is limited, supposedly about 45 degrees (i.e., a 12" might just cover 8x10) but in reality probably a little less. What this means is that you will need an Artar of focal length slightly longer than the film diagonal to cover a format and yield some movement. Your 24" Artar will offer bags of coverage - it should cover even a 12X20, but without much movements.

Hope this helps. Cheers, DJ.

David R Munson
20-Feb-2002, 17:48
Actually, this is exactly the info I was looking for. About the only thing I had figured out for sure was the age of the lens, so this is great. Thanks much.

Chuck_1686
21-Feb-2002, 07:51
Some info on an old catalog page I scanned at: http://members.aol.com/jcpere/Goerz.jpg

Robert A. Zeichner
21-Feb-2002, 08:14
A 24" Red Dot Apo Artar (and I don't know if a non-Red Dot is any different in this respect) has a plate diagonal of 20.4" at infinity. At 1:1 that diagonal is 40.7". Hope this is of some help.

Jim Galli
21-Feb-2002, 11:02
The catalog page is the picture that's worth a thousand words. THANKS Chuck!

Steve Grimes.
22-Feb-2002, 09:05
Note to avoid confusion: the lens diagrams on the catalogue page at http://members.aol.com/jcpere/Goerz.jpg

are reversed in what looks like an original typo. the diagram of the Artar and the Dagor are switched. The three elements of the Dagor are cemented together and the two elements of the Artar are air spaced, with no cement. SKG