PDA

View Full Version : Rattled By Heliar; Need Opinion

Richard K.
7-Apr-2010, 14:26
Hi All;

Bought a very nice Universal Heliar 36 cm from a fine gentleman, which I got today. It's all fine and beautiful and hefty and impressive etc. but there emanates a rattle from the rear group where the cemented pair of lens elements sit a bit loosely in their enclosure. It was speculated that perhaps this is intentional to combat stress caused by the differential thermal expansion between glass and brass but I haven't seen this done deliberately in any other lens. I took the lens in to be fitted for flange by my flange man and he promply tightened something to eliminate the rattle. But now I'm wondering if that expansion latitude should be there else dire consequences might prevail? :confused: Any thoughts? Thank you. :)

Vick Vickery
7-Apr-2010, 14:31
I've never heard of a lens being purposely made so loose that it rattled. I'd use it as tightened by your repairman and see how it does...a Heliar should do pretty well!

8x10 user
7-Apr-2010, 15:26
I had one that did the same thing. The rear group can be tightened but its not easy. I was able to use friction to tighten mine down. You want to turn the inner ring.

Richard K.
7-Apr-2010, 15:58
I had one that did the same thing. The rear group can be tightened but its not easy. I was able to use friction to tighten mine down. You want to turn the inner ring.

YES! The inner ring - it is knurled for SOME reason! Funnily (or maybe not) if you just try to force a turn by grasping diametrically opposite, it jams and won't turn; you need to pinch an edge to get it turning. That's what Kevin of KHB did and it stopped the rattle.

Jim Galli
7-Apr-2010, 16:34
My Model A rattles. None of my lenses are allowed to rattle. I suppose if any of them go far enough in the Model A they will though.

Glenn Thoreson
7-Apr-2010, 17:44
Ha! Good one, Jim! :D