PDA

View Full Version : Bellows repair question

Iga
7-Apr-2010, 03:17
Hi !
This is a question to all people of good will who repaired their camera bellows ( pin holes at the corners ) using black tape :
Which kind / brand of tape is the best ?
Basic technique to stick the tape to bellows ?
It's for 8x10 Agfa, generally bellows is in fine condition, but has a very tiny pin hole at every corner.
Thanks in advance,
Igor.

cdholden
7-Apr-2010, 05:23
I like Permacel gaffers tape (now known as Shurtape P-665). It is available in many widths and colors.
It doesn't leave that nasty goo behind that duct tape is notorious for.

Peter De Smidt
7-Apr-2010, 06:18
I've heard that people use the stuff for patching neoprene wetsuits. But the problem is, once corners start to go, other corners could go at any time. I'd strongly recommend looking into getting a new bellows.

Bob McCarthy
7-Apr-2010, 06:27
I repaired a sinar 8x10 bellows recently,

I bought a tube of gasket material from the auto supply store.

Pressed a little of the material into each light leak. Used just a little and went over the bellows three times, each a day apart.

Tape over the worse ones, primarily to protect the soft gasket material.

As light tite as a new one. Still looks like crap, but it will do until I buy a new one.

bob

Bob McCarthy
7-Apr-2010, 06:32
It's for 8x10 Agfa, generally bellows is in fine condition, but has a very tiny pin hole at every corner.
Thanks in advance,
Igor.

Is it lined? If not, it can be done from the inside and is much neater in appearance after repair.

Rack bellows to limit to find all the holes. Recognize than many leaks are not visable to film if using wides/normals. Teles and close up can be where the light comes shining through. Always good to throw your darkcloth over bellows when taking the exposure if you don't trust the bellows.

bob

Louis Pacilla
7-Apr-2010, 07:08
I have used liquid electric tape . Comes in different colors black & red being the two I have used. It can be bought at just about any hardware store .Apply THIN layers on the corners reapply several THIN layers. Make sure to let dry before reapplying . It's flexible, light tight & inexpensive.

Robert Hughes
7-Apr-2010, 07:14
I like Permacel gaffers tape (now known as Shurtape P-665). It is available in many widths and colors.
It doesn't leave that nasty goo behind that duct tape is notorious for.
Nope. I use Permacel/Shurtape by the case at work, and it has nasty goo just like the rest of the gaffer/duck tape offerings.

Gaffers tape is used (by gaffers!) because it doesn't leave residue on surfaces - the first day. But if you leave it in place for days or weeks on end, the adhesive migrates to anything it touches. You need some strong solvents to get it off of carpeting/wallpaper/cables.

photographs42
7-Apr-2010, 09:03
I used Black photographers tape. It’s like paper masking tape but is black and light proof. Put it on the inside and carefully re-crease the bellows. I repaired a Linhof bellows this way about 25 years ago and it’s still fixed.
Jerome

Chuck Pere
7-Apr-2010, 09:12
I also used the black photographers tape and it seems to work fine for me. The only problem I found was that my Ikea camera wouldn't quite close. But close enough that packing it isn't a problem. I've had it on for about 7 years now.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/46448-REG/Scotch_23534X_Photographic_Tape_Black.html

kub
7-Apr-2010, 12:59
I have used black silicon gels. It'll do the job. So much so that I kept the old one as spare after I got a new bellows.

Jon Shiu
7-Apr-2010, 13:07
I use black E6000 glue available in craft or auto stores. Very strong adhesive to fill pinholes and reinforce the creases.

Jon

Steven Tribe
7-Apr-2010, 14:03
Why not adapt your bellows to the European full tape corners model? This used to be an economy bellows using 4 pieces of leather rather than one. . The problem is not the present holes (that you can identify!) but the holes that appear in a year or so.

I enclose some photos (tomorrow as the files are too large) of how it looks in a freshly made bellows (by myself) for an 8x10 poco cycle

Maris Rusis
7-Apr-2010, 16:54
3M #850 Black polyester tape; very black, very thin, very strong, with a powerful no-bleed, no-creep, permanent adhesive. I have covered an entire bellows with this stuff without bulking up or reducing flexibility. Expensive at $100 a roll in Australia but that's a lifetime's supply.

anthony marsh
7-Apr-2010, 16:58
I had this same problem regarding fixing bellows.I was advised to use PLASTIDIP cut with 15% naptha in several light coats leaving the bellows extended until dry.The products are available at HOME DEPOT and similar stores.PLASTIDIP is available in many colors.

Steven Tribe
8-Apr-2010, 02:08
Here is the promised illustration. This should remove your corner problem for many many years!