PDA

View Full Version : Toyo G experience?

stephen lomas
7-Apr-2010, 02:48
Seeking opinions on two points:
(a) Any of you with experience with a Toyo G (4x5)? A commercial photo friend of mine has offered his now unused one to get me started in LF. The price is right (just the freight) so I am quite excited at the prospect.

I understand it is a monorail camera & thus will be relatively heavy. I intend to use it for landscapes & realize this could lead to some very short walks. As it is I'm not into long hikes like when I was much younger.

Anyone out there using this model or similar outdoors?

(b) I will need a lens or two. I anticipate a 90mm & maybe a 135mm for landscape work. Seeking referrals for lenses & very importantly - sources for used ones. US is okay but if there are any other Australians here, the name of your favourite store would be appreciated.

bdkphoto
7-Apr-2010, 06:49
Seeking opinions on two points:
(a) Any of you with experience with a Toyo G (4x5)? A commercial photo friend of mine has offered his now unused one to get me started in LF. The price is right (just the freight) so I am quite excited at the prospect.

I understand it is a monorail camera & thus will be relatively heavy. I intend to use it for landscapes & realize this could lead to some very short walks. As it is I'm not into long hikes like when I was much younger.

Anyone out there using this model or similar outdoors?

(b) I will need a lens or two. I anticipate a 90mm & maybe a 135mm for landscape work. Seeking referrals for lenses & very importantly - sources for used ones. US is okay but if there are any other Australians here, the name of your favourite store would be appreciated.

I've use a Toyo G extensively for years on location. It's not really designed for portability, the standards don't fold down so it wont' pack tight, but it is very rugged and all the movements are precisely geared. It's an excellent camera to start out with. You will need the bag bellows for the 90 and 135 lenses, and a recessed board for the 90- flat board for a 135 will work. Lots of good glass to choose from, I would look at the 90 Super Angulon, and the nikkor 135 was a great lens too.