PDA

View Full Version : Falloff on Nikkor 90/f4.5?

Uri A
6-Apr-2010, 21:51
Hi kids,

Does anyone shoot on 4x5 with the Nikkor 90/f4.5? I've heard claims that the brightness is even edge to edge.... I'd love to believe it, but..!

I'm considering buying one of these if I don't need to figure another few hundred on a center filter...

Andre Noble
6-Apr-2010, 22:15
I have this lens. I use it for 4x5 only. The image circle is large at 236 at f22.

This is not a lens for which you will hear people recommending a center filter.

So, the tentative answer is, "No" you do not need a center filter for the nikon 90 SW 4.5

Eugene van der Merwe
6-Apr-2010, 23:14
I also use it on 4 x 5. The only time i notice a change in brightness is with big lens drops or rises, and even then it is not an abrupt darkening and not very significant either. I have never even considered sticking a CF on the front.

Bob Salomon
6-Apr-2010, 23:58
Like Rodenstock and Schneider the Nikon wide angle lenses have the same fall off, center to edge. Unlike Schneider and Rodenstock Nikon did not make a center filter to correct the fall off so many assumed, incorrectly, that the Nikon lenses had redesigned the laws of optics physics and that there lenses didn't benefit from a center filter. The lenses certainly do. As do similar lenses from other companies like Fuji.
The lack of a center filter does not solve or eliminate the problem of fall off.

spkennedy3000
7-Apr-2010, 00:26
Fantastic lens, f4.5 makes focusing easier, fall-off tends not to be significant.

Uri A
7-Apr-2010, 06:41
okay thanks everyone!