PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Film... a thing of the past.

John Gavrilis
4-Apr-2010, 10:39
Does anybody have any CONFIRMED information regarding Fuji discontinuing ALL film production? I've heard everything from no more Quickloads & 50 sheet boxes to ALL film production coming to an end.

A few years back, I stockpiled about $4K worth of 4x5 Velvia 50, when I heard is was going to be discontinued. A few months later, they re-released Velvia 50. (Anyone need any 220 Velvia 50? (I have a Sh _ _ load in my freezer). Is this just marketing or a sobering sign of the times?

Can any of you smart guys shed a little light on Fuji's film situation before I stockpile 4x5 Provia & Astia?

Thanks!
JG

Per Madsen
4-Apr-2010, 10:49
I have not heard anything about Fuji dropping analog films.

Oren Grad
4-Apr-2010, 11:12
Fuji has recently discontinued several professional films. Some of these are simply packaging changes - for example, dropping individual 120 rolls or 20-packs but introducing five-roll packs instead. Some are outright product terminations.

Full details are stated clearly in the product listings on the Fujifilm Japan website. Here's a summary in English:

http://www.japanexposures.com/2010/02/26/fujifilm-to-reorganize-film-lineup

It is a major consolidation of the line, but it's also very far from "discontinuing all film production".

Mark Stahlke
4-Apr-2010, 11:28
Is it time for the monthly "Film Is Dead" thread already? My, how time flies when you're busy taking pictures.

Gordon Moat
4-Apr-2010, 12:47
Troll!

I suppose you have lots of stock in Kodak (EK) and hope this gives a boost on Monday.

Lachlan 717
4-Apr-2010, 13:16
Search for Ilford's last financial report and you will see film (in particular, LF) is back into the black as far as units sold.

So, perhaps Gordon's right; you are trolling..

Marko
4-Apr-2010, 13:26
Is it time for the monthly "Film Is Dead" thread already? My, how time flies when you're busy taking pictures.

Not to worry, it's always being closely followed by a few of the "Digital Sucks" threads. Something for everybody... ;)

Search for Ilford's last financial report and you will see film (in particular, LF) is back into the black as far as units sold.

So, perhaps Gordon's right; you are trolling..

If I read the OP's question correctly, he's been specifically asking about Fuji films, color films at that. I don't see what does Ilford have to do with it?

Given Fuji's history of obfuscation and the current state of the industry, chances of this being a legitimate question as opposed to trolling are at least even if not better.

Oren Grad
4-Apr-2010, 13:47
Please allow the OP a bit of slack, folks. It really has been difficult to sort rumor from fact on this, especially if you don't read Japanese and thus don't have direct access to the information on Fuji's home market website. Fuji's distributors do a poor job of keeping up with the announcements in Japan and explaining the implications for their respective markets.

Preston
4-Apr-2010, 14:18
I agree with Oren. This film availability thing really has been a cluster function, and it's been difficult to find factual info.

--P

Dirk Rösler
4-Apr-2010, 15:05
Surely (hopefully?) they would announce a total discontinuation of all film products more clearly than how things were communicated this time...

Andrew O'Neill
4-Apr-2010, 15:10
I can read Japanese farely well, and what I could see from Fujifilm Japanese website, Velvia 50 professional sheet film (Lot #501-504) has PFOS (Perfluorooctanesulfonic acid) in it and is apparently nasty for the environment. Newer stuff from Lot #505, doesn't have PFOS in it.
Looks like all is well.

Oren Grad
4-Apr-2010, 15:52
Can any of you smart guys shed a little light on Fuji's film situation before I stockpile 4x5 Provia & Astia?

Specifically on this point, the Japanese reversal-film product listing page shows both Provia 100F and Astia 100F continuing in 4x5 for now:

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/jan/reversal.html?pSch501010110

Google Translate does a passable job with the page.

But do see its slightly fractured translation of the discontinuation footnote:

1:在庫終了次第、販売終了とさせていただきます。

1: stock upon completion, will be discontinued bon appétit.

I'm not sure "bon appetit" is quite the appropriate sentiment in these circumstances... :eek:

Drew Wiley
4-Apr-2010, 16:14
The eventual discontinuance of Provia 100F would be perfectly logical because it's the last film in this series to made on triacetate stock as opposed to the tougher polyester base. But it's very unlikely that this niche will remain unfilled. There's almost certainly going to be a mid-contrast chrome film to replace it, with possible additional improvements. What I worry about is Astia, which generates far more limited sales but represents important features of its own, for which there is no Kodak replacement either. The trend seems to be fewer films but high-quality
versatile ones, which makes sense from a marketing standpoint.

Peter Rip
4-Apr-2010, 16:18
I have a bunch of Velvia 100 Quickloads (about 15 boxes) exp 6/2007, if anyone wants to buy them. I need to give up LF (not about digital, just about time). Last used in Death Valley this January.

peter[at]ripster.com

BetterSense
4-Apr-2010, 17:45
1: stock upon completion, will be discontinued bon appétit.

Lol. Computers really are thick; they are translating 'itadakimasu', which is often said as a set-phrase in the same context as 'bon appetit', and literally means something like '(I) graciously receive/accept'. In this case, in the singularly winding manner of polite Japanese grammar, Fuji is saying something like "we have the pleasure of receiving/making the decision to discontinue these films after stock is depleted".

Andre Noble
4-Apr-2010, 19:12
Search for Ilford's last financial report

Lachlan, do you have a link for that?

Oren Grad
4-Apr-2010, 19:40
Lol. Computers really are thick; they are translating 'itadakimasu', which is often said as a set-phrase in the same context as 'bon appetit', and literally means something like '(I) graciously receive/accept'. In this case, in the singularly winding manner of polite Japanese grammar, Fuji is saying something like "we have the pleasure of receiving/making the decision to discontinue these films after stock is depleted".

Exactly. The translator wasn't smart enough to see the "sasete", which doesn't normally go with digging into your yummy food.

Anyway, set phrasing though it may be, if we allow ourselves the amusement of reading it excessively literally, "we humbly receive from you causing us to discontinue sales" is a delicious way to drop bad news on your esteemed customers. Japanese is fun. :)

Dirk Rösler
4-Apr-2010, 19:45
Actually sasete itadakimasu is more like "you are giving us the favour of letting us do this". Not that we have a choice of not letting them, but at least they mention it :)

Depleted stomachs are not mentioned, however. Bon film appetit.

Mark Stahlke
4-Apr-2010, 20:33
Not to worry, it's always being closely followed by a few of the "Digital Sucks" threads. Something for everybody... ;)
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure I'm busy that week. :D

bvstaples
4-Apr-2010, 20:40
Does anybody have any CONFIRMED information regarding Fuji discontinuing ALL film production? I've heard everything from no more Quickloads & 50 sheet boxes to ALL film production coming to an end.

I wonder why they would discontinue ALL film production when they're about ready to release their new MF film camera?

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/press/news/display_news?newsID=879818

Lachlan 717
5-Apr-2010, 04:11
If I read the OP's question correctly, he's been specifically asking about Fuji films, color films at that. I don't see what does Ilford have to do with it?

Marko,

My apologies; I thought that it was plainly obvious that I was commenting on the positive state of LF/analogue photography when I drew attention to Ilford's sales.

If you didn't get that, this might help:

Ilford is doing better than it has for ages. Ergo, Fuji probably is as well.

Did that help?

Steven Barall
5-Apr-2010, 06:24
Fuji sells a lot of film in the form of those disposable cameras so I don't think they will be totally discontinuing film production at least for color neg film.

D. Bryant
5-Apr-2010, 07:20
I wonder why they would discontinue ALL film production when they're about ready to release their new MF film camera?

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/press/news/display_news?newsID=879818
It has been released last year.

Don Bryant

Brian Ellis
5-Apr-2010, 08:52
Marko,

My apologies; I thought that it was plainly obvious that I was commenting on the positive state of LF/analogue photography when I drew attention to Ilford's sales.

If you didn't get that, this might help:

Ilford is doing better than it has for ages. Ergo, Fuji probably is as well.

Did that help?

Could you provide a link to the Ilford financial report you mentioned in an earlier link? I've searched for about 15 minutes without being able to find any financial statements relating to sales of Ilford paper.

I did learn that Ilford is now owned by Oji Paper Company, an apparently very large, diversified Japanese paper products company, that there is a U.S. subsidiary or division or something of Oji (or of another company related to Oji) called Oji Ilford USA but a search produced no financial reports for it, nor did an all-words search for "ilford paper financial report" and numerous variations turn up any relevant financial information about sales of Ilford photo papers.

I did find financial information for Oji Paper Company (stated in yen) that indicated sales of paper products in general are down so if sales (and profits?) of Ilford's photo papers are up that's a very good sign since it would be going against the larger trend for paper products in general. For anyone interested, the link to that information is http://www.ojipaper.co.jp/english/ir/result/pdf/results_2010_03.pdf

Drew Wiley
5-Apr-2010, 09:13
Oji does not own Ilford black-and-white products, Harman in England does. Oji purchased the color products only, including Ilfochrome and inkjet supplies, though they are still licensed to use the Ilford name and website for these particular things.

SamReeves
5-Apr-2010, 09:31
As they say, stock up and freeze. You just never know when the rug will be pulled out underneath from you!

Oren Grad
5-Apr-2010, 10:26
Oji does not own Ilford black-and-white products, Harman in England does. Oji purchased the color products only, including Ilfochrome and inkjet supplies, though they are still licensed to use the Ilford name and website for these particular things.

A minor clarification - Oji bought the intellectual property rights to the Ilford name as well as the color products out of the reorganization proceedings. Harman Technology is licensed to use the name solely for its analog/traditional B&W products.

epraus
5-Apr-2010, 11:49
Ok, here's the scoop. I just received my latest price list from Fuji effective May 1, 2010. The only color neg film available now is Pro 400H up to the 220 format. That's it! For B&W NEOPAN is available up to 4x5 Quick Loads. Transparency films are pretty much untouched.

No time for complaining just adjusting to the realities.

williamtheis
5-Apr-2010, 12:02
so Fuji is going to continue making 220 rollfilm then?

Oren Grad
5-Apr-2010, 12:13
Ok, here's the scoop. I just received my latest price list from Fuji effective May 1, 2010. The only color neg film available now is Pro 400H up to the 220 format. That's it! For B&W NEOPAN is available up to 4x5 Quick Loads. Transparency films are pretty much untouched.

US website has just been updated:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/professional_photography/film/index.html

The consumer color neg films are still available in 35mm:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/film/index.html

epraus
5-Apr-2010, 12:19
so Fuji is going to continue making 220 rollfilm then?

220 is available in Velvia 50, Velvia 100, Velvia 100F, Astia 100F, Provia 100F & Fujicolor Pro 400N. No B&W

Eric James
5-Apr-2010, 14:09
US website has just been updated...

I rather doubt we can trust it; here they show Acros available in Quickloads.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/professional_photography/film/neopan_black_white/100_acros/index.html

Oren Grad
5-Apr-2010, 14:18
I rather doubt we can trust it; here they show Acros available in Quickloads.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/professional_photography/film/neopan_black_white/100_acros/index.html

Ack... Is it any wonder we're all crazy trying to keep this straight?

Andre Noble
5-Apr-2010, 17:56
I remember shooting the 1992 Olympic track and field with my little Minolta 3xi and 105mm lens on Fuji 3200 ASA color negative film in the dusk of a Barcelona summer night.

I recently scanned that negative, it's frame #11 here: http://andrenoble.com/Barcelona%20Olympics/Barcelona%20Olympics.html

That ASA 3200 color negative film was really advanced, and now in 2010 with VR and IS lens technology which permits low level light shooting, it seems that NOW should be film's heyday.

On the contrary, I can't believe how rapidly film is disappearing. I mean, Fuji is dumping some really well researched products. is Kodak right behind? There out to be a law against it.

Greg Blank
5-Apr-2010, 18:04
Chicken little hysteria, life moves on.

Surely (hopefully?) they would announce a total discontinuation of all film products more clearly than how things were communicated this time...

CG
5-Apr-2010, 23:03
I think this thread has outlived it's utility....

Brian Ellis
6-Apr-2010, 06:35
I'd still appreciate a link or cite to the Ilford financial statements Lachlan mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. I searched again last night, this time including "Harman" in the words, and still found nothing. Perhaps if Lachlan doesn't have the link or cite itself he could tell us where or how he found it.

Ivan J. Eberle
6-Apr-2010, 08:22
Recent dire warnings got me stocking up on some Fuji emulsions.

Rumors concerning the discontinuance of Fuji Pro 160S proved to be that the emulsion was being renamed and the old stock number/name discontinued.

Wonder how many times Fuji can cook their books by sowing panic, getting folks to bulk buy and put it in deep freeze? I can't imaging that it helps the longevity of their film lines to keep their best customers on the edge of their seats. That just bolsters the case to switch to digital ASAP or wherever possible.

Drew Wiley
6-Apr-2010, 10:10
I doubt that any of this is the result of any deep dark conspiracy by Fuji. They are probably no different that a lot of other oversize corporations with a topheavy mgt hierarchy and poor internal communication between departments. When you add the pressure of the overall poor economy, you get all the ingredients you need to keep things confusing.