PDA

View Full Version : great luck with flanges, lens boards, and waterhouse stops

eddie
4-Apr-2010, 07:48
hey all,

funny story. i have a bit of a collection of lens boards and flanges. i used to have a pretty giant collection of water house stops but i finally sold them as a lot because i never had the size i wanted and they never seemed to fit anything anyway....off they went....like 15 set! :eek:

the flanges are a different story....i keep them.

the lens boards i always keep....all the sizes i use. 6x6, 9x9 mostly and some 10x10. when ever i have a lens to mount i go see if i have lens board with the correct sized hole....so far it has worked perfectly.

now when i buy lenses i try and get flanges with them as it makes life real easy.

so, i finally found a 450 plasticca. and guess what? WITH a flange. i was so happy. so i began pawing through my lens board collection to find one with a hole i could use. BINGO, i found one. perfect fit. but wait! it had a flange on it already....could it be? it looks the same! what are the chances? i mean come on no way right? WRONG! it fit perfectly. i could not believe my luck. had it not come with a flange i surely would not have one to fit. murphy's law. i am goingto buy a lottery ticket today to see if it is REAL good luck!

anyone have any happy ending stories like this?

eddie

ps. this baby casts a great image on teh GG. stay tuned for portraits this week.

goamules
4-Apr-2010, 15:54
Well, I sorta do have a story. A while ago I was cutting a homemade lensboard, with nice mahogany laminate on the outside, for a new lens. After the hole was cut I put the flange on to mark where to drill the screws. Nope, somehow I measured wrong and the screwholes were inside the hole area. Not having any airscrews, I put the board aside as a lesson learned. When I bought my Voigtlander 6B I was getting ready to go make another board, but remembered this wrong holed one. The flange fit perfectly, with about 1/32" gap for the inner, brass lip to fit in.

benrains
8-Apr-2010, 12:16
I've actually had rather a lot of luck matching up my spare flanges with lenses I've purchased that are missing them. The reason I believe this to be the case is that the sizes of lenses seemed to be relatively well standardized (though there were more sizes to choose from). This is especially the case within a given manufacturer's offerings... most notably Wollensak. This often carries over to other lens makers of the 1910s-1940s because so many companies were using Wollensak shutters for their lenses.

A couple of times I've run into situations where the size of the flange opening was correct, but the pitch of the threads didn't match. The near misses are always sad.

Steven Tribe
8-Apr-2010, 13:11
Eddie, be careful what you write! I do believe there are some 450mm Plasticca owners who are looking for this very flange. Yes I know you say "the flanges are a different story....i keep them"!

My latest moment of serendipity was last week, when I bought a set of umarked large waterhouse stops which were near enough to be modified to a big extra rapid Suter Aplanat with a single waterhouse stop. They are exactly the right size. Well almost, I have to reduce the thickness from 1.6mm to 1.2!

Jim Galli
8-Apr-2010, 16:35
I hate you. I haven't had a match in years. I'm checking my 450 Plasticca tonight. Can't remember if it has a flange or not. :D:D

Needed: some common as dirt Ilex #3 flanges. Paying $12.50 each or trade for any of the 1,000 I have that fit nothing.

eddie
8-Apr-2010, 18:33
I hate you. I haven't had a match in years.

Needed: some common as dirt Ilex #3 flanges. Paying $12.50 each or trade for any of the 1,000 I have that fit nothing.

har har har! having a match is tough! how many years? :)

i will trade you my 1,000 "no fit flanges" for your 1,000 "no fit flanges" even trade.....then we can sell each other the correct flanges we USED to own! LOL!

eddie

Marko Trebusak
8-Apr-2010, 23:50
I can see I'm at the beginning. I ask a friend to mill the missing flanges and all sorts of wired adaptors on top of that as well :D.

Marko

alex from holland
9-Apr-2010, 00:27
I was lucky once
Bought a camera with a goerz 300 mm 6.8 serie III on it.
came home and for some reason i tried my Dallmeyer 1b. Guess what : it fits perfecty in the same flange......

alex