PDA

View Full Version : TMX-100 developer??

pergorm
3-Apr-2010, 12:54
Hello everyone!

I was just wondering; can anyone tell me why Kodak does not recommend using T-MAX developer for sheet film???
And just one more question: Does anyone have any experience with Microdol-X for tmx-100 4x5 sheetfilm?

I am using a Combiplan tank for my 4x5 sheet-film, and filling and emptying the tank takes almost one minute all together, so trying to use short development times (< 6-7 min.) will yield uneven results...Any good ideas?? (except using long development times:) )

Regards
Per

Oren Grad
3-Apr-2010, 13:14
I was just wondering; can anyone tell me why Kodak does not recommend using T-MAX developer for sheet film???

Because it sometimes produces dichroic fog on sheet film.

And just one more question: Does anyone have any experience with Microdol-X for tmx-100 4x5 sheetfilm?

Microdol-X has recently been discontinued, though there may be remaining stocks at some retailers.

Armin Seeholzer
3-Apr-2010, 13:52
I recomand XTOL and just be save to use the best and never look back!

Cheers Armin

Heroique
3-Apr-2010, 14:06
A favorite TMax-100 developer for me is T-Max rs.

To be sure, it’s my favorite combo when I’m looking for silky textures – not necessarily acutance. It spoiled me so quickly, giving me what I wanted so well, that I’ve experimented less w/ other developers than I might have by now. One of my goals this year is to experiment more, so I’ll be watching this thread…

Here’s an old one from the Cascade range (Washington state).

Tachi 4x5
Fuji A 240mm/9
¼ sec. @ f/22
T-Max 100 (in T-Max rs)
Epson 4990/Epson Scan

Ron Marshall
3-Apr-2010, 14:09
What Kodak says:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/chemistry/bwFilmProcessing/selecting.jhtml?pq-path=14053

Ron Marshall
3-Apr-2010, 14:10
Hello everyone!

I am using a Combiplan tank for my 4x5 sheet-film, and filling and emptying the tank takes almost one minute all together, so trying to use short development times (< 6-7 min.) will yield uneven results...Any good ideas?? (except using long development times:) )

Regards
Per

Use more dilute developer or lower temperatures.

MIke Sherck
3-Apr-2010, 15:22
I used Tmax developer in the past without problems but I like the contrast and tonality of D-76 better, so that's what I've used for the past five or six years.

Mike

jp
3-Apr-2010, 15:35
I use d76 or xtol.

Andrew O'Neill
3-Apr-2010, 16:00
Xtol 1+1, D-76 1+1. Perfect combinations.

Bob McCarthy
3-Apr-2010, 17:00
I have been getting wonderful results from HC 110 dilution "B".

I wanted a one shot developer, mix as you go. 31 ml (drawn using a kitchen syringe) to a liter

6 minutes @ 68 deg.

Scans beautifully.

Wish I could get TMY to respond as well.

BTW I use the combi plan tanks as well. But I use them as a dip and dunk tank/holder in the dark.

Gemsinger has an article on the main page that inspired me to try it a number of years ago.

bob

ic-racer
3-Apr-2010, 17:14
I have used T-max developer (non-RS) as my exclusive developer for everything, including sheet film, since about 1986. Its gives sharpness and good shadow detail. That is a good combo for me.

pergorm
4-Apr-2010, 03:40
Hello!

Thanks for all the advice. I think i might try Xtol and see how it compares to Rodinal!!

Regards
Per

Drew Wiley
4-Apr-2010, 14:16
TM100 can be developed in virtually any conventional developer. You just have to be
careful with exposure and consistent with darkroom technique. But because it has
relatively poor edge effect and a tendency to blow out the highlights, I prefer pyro
developers for conventional shooting. For technical use, however, TMRS will give the longest straight-line to the characteristic curve.