PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Film Sizes? (Newbie help)

chris00nj
2-Apr-2010, 20:50
I bought a miniature speed Graphic, which takes 2 1/4" x 3 1/4 film and I bought some Efke 100 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" film. I also bought some sheet film holders, off eBay.

The thinner ones that hold one sheet actually say it is for 2 1/2" x 3 1/2". Could this also be used for 2 1/4" film? If I stick the holder in, it seems to stick out a wee bit. Is this normal? I attached a photo with the holder inserted.

I also got the thicker sheet film holders that hold two sheets and they say it's for 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" sheet film. However, it's so thick it seems like it going to break the metal piece if i try to pull it back far enough to fit it in?

What am I doing right and/or wrong?

(I've used Leicas and Rollei so I'm not too dull when it comes to mechanical cameras, but this is my first foray into sheet film cameras. I'd like to eventually get a 4x5 crown graphic.)

Jack Dahlgren
2-Apr-2010, 22:21
Hmm... did that last message post? I'll try again.

Use the thick double sided film holder. The back can take it with no problem. Most camera backs have rather stiff springs to hold things flat and tight, but once you get used to it, it won't seem so bad. Press photographers used to slam those things in all the time and I can't recall seeing a broken spring back.

Not sure what the thin film holder is for, but the size alone seems wrong.

Are you familiar with loading sheet film?

I have a tutorial here for 4x5 but it applies for all sheet film.

http://Zo-d.com/stuff/photography/how-to-load-4x5-sheet-film-holders.html

Jack Dahlgren
2-Apr-2010, 22:31
Second thing you might consider is a roll film back. That gets you 8 shots per roll and you can use typical rollfilm development tanks and a much wider choice of films. Your graflex has what is called a "spring" back which has fewer choices for roll film holders than the graflok back, but there are some available.

Graflex.org should be a good starting point for learning more about your camera.

chris00nj
3-Apr-2010, 07:22
If I used a roll film holder, I lose the ground glass focusing ability?

I've read graflex.org a lot already, but I wasn't sure if it they double sided film holder was only for later cameras or different models.

Thanks for the tutorial link. I've also seen a videos on YouTube

ic-racer
3-Apr-2010, 08:22
I'd stick with sheet film for now. You already have all the stuff. Use the 2-sided holder as recommended. Take some pictures today!

Jack Dahlgren
3-Apr-2010, 08:52
If I used a roll film holder, I lose the ground glass focusing ability?

I've read graflex.org a lot already, but I wasn't sure if it they double sided film holder was only for later cameras or different models.

Thanks for the tutorial link. I've also seen a videos on YouTube

Usually the roll film holder slips under the ground glass or can pop in and replace it so it is not lost, just a bit less convenient. But I agree - go with what you have right now.
Have fun.

Jim Noel
3-Apr-2010, 09:29
The single sheet holder is for one of the many "Film Pack" Cameras. These cameras used either a film pack adapter or a single sheet holder. They do not fit a graphic, graflok or universal back.

chris00nj
3-Apr-2010, 13:43
Well I took my first photo. Ground glass focusing is tough without a dark hood. I also need a sturdier tripod.

The spring back could handle the double holder without breaking! :) I'll develop it later. I'm using Efke 100 and have D-76 developer.

I plan on using my Patterson reel that I use for 120 film. No issues with doing that?

Jack Dahlgren
3-Apr-2010, 13:50
Well I took my first photo. Ground glass focusing is tough without a dark hood. I also need a sturdier tripod.

The spring back could handle the double holder without breaking! :) I'll develop it later. I'm using Efke 100 and have D-76 developer.

I plan on using my Patterson reel that I use for 120 film. No issues with doing that?

Just make sure that the sheets do not overlap or slip out.