PDA

View Full Version : Alphax shutter question

Phil Hudson
2-Apr-2010, 08:19
I have just received a lens in a large Alphax synchromatic shutter (approx 74mm barrel threads) but I am not familiar with the operation of the Alphax. The blades appear to be stuck open regardless of what lever I press and I cannot work out how to close it!

Is it self-cocking?

Thanks for any pointers!

Darren Kruger
2-Apr-2010, 09:04
I have just received a lens in a large Alphax synchromatic shutter (approx 74mm barrel threads) but I am not familiar with the operation of the Alphax. The blades appear to be stuck open regardless of what lever I press and I cannot work out how to close it!

Is it self-cocking?

yes, The shutter is self cocking. With 74mm lens threads it sounds like a Alphax #5, the biggest one Wollensak made. If it is, the whole shutter should have a diameter of almost 5".

The shutter blades might be stuck open. Try changing the speed of the shutter and seeing if that helps get them closed. Sounds like a cleaning is in order for it.

-Darren

Phil Hudson
2-Apr-2010, 09:15
Thanks for the advice, Darren. It is nearly 5" across overall so it sounds like a #5. Unfortunately changing the speed doesn't help close the blades. I guess it needs surgery!

JOSEPH ANDERSON
2-Apr-2010, 14:24
Phil I have what I think is a #4 Alphax (barrel threads 62 mm) overall 3 3/4". It also came with stuck shutter. I took glass off (15" wolly tele) then gave shutter a Ronsonal bath. This was about 7 years ago, and shutter is still working fine. However, this don't always work,but might be worth a try.

Good luck Joe A

lenser
2-Apr-2010, 17:12
The Alphax on one my Veritars has a preview "lever" that pushes in to OPEN and pulls out to CLOSE. It is located at about four o'clock as you are facing the lens.

The other one does operate without that kind of "lever" and stays open only on the T setting. When you want to close it, as Darren says, change the speed. It then closes immediately.

I fyou need service, try Carol at Flutot's. She just did a brilliant job on the second one and it is now perfect.