PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Kreuznach 90mm 4X5 Wide Angle lens

David Woods
31-Mar-2010, 17:19
Guys

I just bought a Schneider Kreuznach 90mm 4X5 Wide Angle lens can anyone tell me a bit about it, it circle of light, is it only suitable foe a 4x5, and how do you work out how a lens is suitable for what format?

Regards
David

ic-racer
31-Mar-2010, 17:26
Looks like it came with a cam also. Do you have a Speed or Crown Graphic?
It is good for 4x5 and smaller. Schneider Angulon 90 is a very commonly used lens.
I think the Schneider site has vintage lens data.
In general, if the datasheet on a lens claims an image circle greater than the diagonal of your film format then it should work without vignetting.

David Woods
31-Mar-2010, 17:32
Thanks
No I have a Toyo but the graphic board fits the front of the Toyo.
David

Jack Dahlgren
31-Mar-2010, 17:33
Angulon is an older 90mm and was replaced decades ago with the Super Angulon. It will cover 4x5 but not with a lot of movements. It would also be suitable for smaller film - 6x9 back or similar.

Datasheet for it is here:
http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/angulon/data/6,8-90mm.html

Datasheets are the best way to find out what a lens will cover.

Kevin Crisp
31-Mar-2010, 20:46
David: These remain very popular, because they are so small and light. In general, the later serial numbered ones were better, especially in the corners, but I've seen some a lot older then yours that were very good. You'll be happier with the results if you stop down to f:16 or f:22. You will have very little room for movements, maybe 1/2" or so of rise. The lens illuminates a much bigger circle than it can ever resolve even at small apertures. Give it a try.

If you're lugging your stuff around, or hiking with it, great lens. If you are shooting buildings, inside and out, you will find it limiting and a larger wide angle plasmat would be better for your needs.

Adam Kavalunas
1-Apr-2010, 06:52
I apologize in advance for not offering any help with this response. I'm just wondering why do you buy a lens, and not even know much about it, especially if it will even cover the format you are using?

Frank Petronio
1-Apr-2010, 07:09
It's a great lens, late serial number, the best shutter. The cam is worth $30 to a Graphic user if you resell it.

If you use it with large movements or on a 5x7, the edges of the image will be soft. Ideally you use this lens at f/16 or smaller and use only minor movements on your 4x5 -- then it will be as sharp as anything.

Bob Salomon
1-Apr-2010, 07:39
Actually this is not a lens that covered 4x5". It covered 9x12cm which is a smaller size. The Super Angulon series that replaced this lens fully covered 4x5".

dave_whatever
1-Apr-2010, 07:52
http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/angulon/data/6,8-90mm.html

Image diagonal at f/16 = 154mm, so it covers 4x5" with no movements, no problem, even if it was originally intended for 9x12. On the following link there's an estimation of how the usable area increases when stopping down, equates to about 180mm at infinity at f/32, so you get a bit of room for tilt on landscapes if you're careful. Obviously with rear tilt you're laughing.

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/wide.htm

Steven Barall
1-Apr-2010, 08:03
I've been using one for more than 25 years. It does have somewhat limited movements but I don't mind seeing the edges of the circle and mine is really really sharp. I also have the Rodenstock 90 f4.5 which has plenty of movement but no character like the Angulon has. Go outside and give it a try. Good luck.

fuegocito
1-Apr-2010, 09:37
a picture is worth a thousand words, here is one made by a photographer who goes by ID call Lonewolf using an Angulon 90mm f/6.8

http://www7.xitek.com/forum/201003/161/16107/16107_1269898771.jpg

here is mine 90mm Angulon used on 8x10, data on paper is one thing, actual use is sometime another story:)

Bob Salomon
1-Apr-2010, 10:28

Image diagonal at f/16 = 154mm, so it covers 4x5" with no movements, no problem, even if it was originally intended for 9x12. On the following link there's an estimation of how the usable area increases when stopping down, equates to about 180mm at infinity at f/32, so you get a bit of room for tilt on landscapes if you're careful. Obviously with rear tilt you're laughing.

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/wide.htm

At f32 you are also into diffraction.

IanG
4-Apr-2010, 07:08
At f32 you are also into diffraction.

While I agree that's the theory and backed up by bench tests, in practice these lenses can perform remarkably well at f32.

The problem is there's a lot of variations in terms of optical quality between individual 90mm f6.8 Angulons. My current one is excellent at f22 but the previous Linhof select one I owned was poor, and it's really down to luck in finding a good one.

They do cover 5x4, but as a German manufacturer the Schneider literature relates to the Continental European film formats, so like the 135mm &150mm Symmars & Xenars of the same era the recommended format is 9x12cm not 5"x4".

Ian

Mick Fagan
5-Apr-2010, 02:55
I have a Schneider Kreuznach 6.8/90 Angulon which I generally use on my Shen Hao with no real dramas.

Bob is correct in that it isn't designed for 4x5", however I have used mine often and as long as I'm at f11½ or smaller, then it covers 4x5" very well. If I stop down to f22 or f22½ then I'm in the sweet spot of my particular lens.

At /f32 it has gone off song, but very usable negatives are made.

My unit was manufactured around 1952-3, your unit was manufactured between 1959-61.

I find I have reasonable movement, for a lens that isn't really designed for the format. At f22 about 12mm off centre, before I start to run out of coverage in the corners.

Mick.

David Woods
5-Apr-2010, 18:41
I apologize in advance for not offering any help with this response. I'm just wondering why do you buy a lens, and not even know much about it, especially if it will even cover the format you are using?

I am new to large format, and the ebay person said it would cover 4x5, there seems to be debate if it will cover the 4x5 or not, I will receive it this week, and check the coverage out.

David

Kevin Crisp
5-Apr-2010, 20:02
It will cover 4X5, the better ones are sharp at the edges and you can even use a little movements. In your serial number range, it is probably fine. But try it out and you'll know. Focus with a loupe.