PDA

View Full Version : Your Scanning Method

nray
30-Mar-2010, 11:24
Please share your method/process for scanning negatives and transparencies.

I am interested to know that if you do pre-adjustments before your scan, what do you do? Is there an advantage to making adjustments before you scan? What dpi? Digital Ice?

I have been doing trial and error and would really like to know what others are doing to get the best out of that process.

Thank you.

Lenny Eiger
30-Mar-2010, 14:37
I have been doing trial and error and would really like to know what others are doing to get the best out of that process.

Thank you.

You might fill in a few more details - as in what scanner are you using, what kind of work are you going for, is it high contrast, low, what format are you working with, what films are you using?

Lenny

Jeffrey Sipress
30-Mar-2010, 15:16
Trial & error is an essential learning method for us all. I use a v700 for my 4x5 films now. I recently got the betterscan film holding frame, and the difference was amazing. I never use ICE or anything automatic. I like to have files from 200-400MB, depending on color bit depth of BW negative. Sometimes I only need 3200 dpi to get that.

mrladewig
30-Mar-2010, 15:20
This will depend quite a bit on your scanning equipment.

For my equipment, I'm scanning large format on an Epson 4990.

I scan color film with EpsonScan in 48-bit color, usually at 2400ppi, occasionally 3200ppi.
I very recently purchased a betterscanning wet/dry holder and have recently been fluid mounting on this holder with some luck. Dry mounting showed significant improvement over the stock holders as well.
I scan color positive and color negative.
I do make a number of adjustments in the scanning software including levels, curve changes to individual channels and a few other items. I need to make far more changes on color negative than positive.

I have found that digital ICE does not work with 4X5 film and my scanner. It just locks up on the larger images whether I've used Silverfast Ai or EpsonScan.

Ken Lee
30-Mar-2010, 15:22
http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/scanning.html

nray
31-Mar-2010, 04:02
You might fill in a few more details - as in what scanner are you using, what kind of work are you going for, is it high contrast, low, what format are you working with, what films are you using?

Lenny

I am using the Epson 4990 and scan 35mm, 120mm and 4x5 negatives and transparencies. B&W and color.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.