PDA

View Full Version : Xenotar lenses, difference between versions?

joelorbita
29-Mar-2010, 19:12
Hi, I am new to this forum and was hoping someone could please help me out. I currently have a Schneider Xenotar 150mm 2.8 and a Schneider Xenotar 135mm 3.5 which has Linhof printed on it. Was just wondering what the difference was between those that say Linhof and those that don't? Is one multi coated and the other isn't? Or is it just that Linhof picked the best of the bunch?

I recently saw the 150mm 2.8 Linhof version lens sell for $4250 on ebay, is this version multicoated and therefore commands that price? I bought mine for about $800 or so...

I have shot with it a bit and noticed that it does suffer from flare a bit. I have mainly shot people with it and it is not direct flare but rather just a general dulling of the image sometimes (hmmmm, dunno if that is the right term or not). Any way around this? Using a lens hood of some description I guess. I have the Lee Filter system, anyone know what hood I could get without vignetting?

Also, I have also been looking at the Xenotar 100mm/Xenotar 105mm to be used on a 67/69 back, any information on these? Did they ever come in a multicoated version?

I have attached some images of the lenses. Any one with any information at all and could get back to me would be greatly appreciated! I did try and search for the info on the web but couldn't find anything related to these being coated/multicoated or not, so apologies if this is a bit of a repeat..

Best Regards Joel

joelorbita
29-Mar-2010, 19:24
Sorry, am having a bit of trouble uploading my images.

joelorbita
29-Mar-2010, 19:25
and the link to the ebay auction is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140386446482&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2121wt_1167

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
29-Mar-2010, 19:26
To the best of my knowledge there has never been a multicoated LF Xenotar. Perhaps you are thinking of the multicoated 135/3.5 Planar T*? Anyhow, a nice sample normally sells for $1200 or thereabouts in shutter, less for barrel. I sold a Linhof branded 150/2.8 which could reasonably be called "near mint" on eBay a few years back and it sold for $1350, and I was very pleased, as was the buyer. $4250? That is an aberration, an outlier. Pay no attention.

They do have a flare problem up to f5.6 or so. A good hood helps a bit, but you will never completely eliminate it. I suppose this is where a multicoated one would be nice, but again, I have never heard of one. I use a Lee hood with mine and it works as well as any other hood. It just needs to be properly adjusted, to the point just short of vignetting. This is where clipped corners on ground glass are helpful.

Robert Hughes
30-Mar-2010, 07:43
$4250 for a used eBay lens, huh. Will that lens let you take pictures that are impossible with the $400 lens you already have? Or the $40 lens I have? Perhaps, if you're as rich as that Spanish gentleman who just got $400,000,000 in jewelry burgled from his spare, weekend castle - and he just shrugged it off as bad luck. But for the rest of us -

The trick with eBay and other similar sites is that there are a few unscrupulous sellers that cater to rich fools - "this lens costs 5x as much as the next, because I say it's the best!"

As they say, there's a buyer born every minute... :D Pay attention to the market and don't get suckered by these guys.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
30-Mar-2010, 08:33
Not to defend the fool who spent more than 3 times what he could have, but the Xenotar, particularly the f2.8 version is special lens; It will allow you to take "pictures that are impossible with the $400 lens you already have", unless your $400 lens is f2.8 or thereabouts.

joelorbita
30-Mar-2010, 11:25
Hi, Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!! Jason, am I just after the universal hood (to cover both my 135mm and 150mm)? I have to agree with you about this lens, despite this issue there isn't really anything else like it really.. I didn't quite understand the point about the clipped corners in the groundglass. I have these on my GG but have always found them to be more annoying than anything? Can you please explain the purpose of this and how to check if the bellows is vignetting? I can't see anything when I look at the corners. Ok, Thanks again, was very helpful. Best Regards Joel

Thebes
30-Mar-2010, 11:55
It seems to me that recently there have been some truly absurd eBay prices on rare and collectible lenses. I've wondered to myself about how some of those prices are being driven...

If you have money and want a multicoated lens, you could send your's off to have that done, there is a slight chance of breakage. A couple places repolish and recoat old lenses, its not cheap but not horrifically expensive either.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
30-Mar-2010, 12:57
Yes, just the regular Lee Hood will work, no need for the wide angle version. The way I use the clipped corners is to peer through all four to ensure that no part of the aperture is vignetted by the hood. If it is, adjust the hood until it is not.

Arne Croell
30-Mar-2010, 19:09
The Linhof branded versions have been quality checked again by Linhof after they left Schneider, but that is the only difference. One other change is that older versions used one Thorium glass lens so they are slightly radioactive and might show some yellowing. Not important if you mainly do b/w. The newer versions (from the late 1960's early 1970's on) do not use it anymore.

joelorbita
30-Mar-2010, 23:04
Hi, Thanks again for the info. I will try looking at the corners next time I use my camera. Thebes, any idea which these places are that multicoat lenses? I emailed John at focalpoint after someone recommended them but he said that it was too expensive to do a single lens. Any others? Ok, thanks again.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
31-Mar-2010, 05:57
I don't think it worthwhile. From what I understand, multi-coating is designed around the optical "needs" of a particular lens. Without being specific to the lens it is not very effective.

If it really means that much to you look for one of the Zeiss T* 135mm planars.

joelorbita
2-Apr-2010, 20:01
Ok, thanks so much, will order the Lee hood and see if that helps. Best Regards Joel