PDA

View Full Version : Chicago this spring, right now.

Henry Ambrose
28-Mar-2010, 20:31
I just got back from Chicago - fine exhibits were seen, great food and wine were enjoyed. My feet hurt. :>)

http://www.artic.edu/aic/

http://www.artic.edu/aic/exhibitions/exhibition/Eggleston

http://www.artic.edu/aic/exhibitions/exhibition/vernacular

And the new Modern Wing is open with --lots-- to see.
The Museum of Contemporary Art has some good stuff too.

Go now if you can.

Heroique
29-Mar-2010, 09:58
Some fine cultural opportunities in a favorite big city – sounds like you had a great time.

I’d love to see more LF shots that feature the city’s beautiful architecture rising above the stunning, lakeside setting – especially in bitter cold seasons. I once took a frigid morning walk along the shoreline (walking south from Fullerton) and remember steam-spouting skyscrapers watching over Lake Michigan’s undulating ice floes, all lighted by a fog-shrouded sunrise. Architecture + landscape at once.

Thanks for the travel tip. ;)

Kirk Gittings
29-Mar-2010, 10:05
Henry, Chicago is my favorite US big city and I love going there. There always seem to be great shows and much to do. Again this summer I have the pleasure of being a visiting artist at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago for 6 weeks and hopefully there will be some killer photo or art shows to enjoy (in addition to Rick Bayles' La Frontiera Grill!).

chris_4622
29-Mar-2010, 10:14
Some fine cultural opportunities in a favorite big city – sounds like you had a great time.

I’d love to see more LF shots that feature the city’s beautiful architecture rising above the stunning, lakeside setting – especially in bitter cold seasons. I once took a frigid morning walk along the shoreline (walking south from Fullerton) and remember steam-spouting skyscrapers watching over Lake Michigan’s undulating ice floes, all lighted by a fog-shrouded sunrise. Architecture + landscape at once.

Thanks for the travel tip. ;)

http://michaelandpaula.com/mp/index_skip.html not in the frigid winter but beautiful nonetheless.

I'm in the city most weekends photographing. I pack my lf on a bike and ride around. There is so much to photograph... 6-10 sheets on a weekend just isn't getting it done.

Kirk Gittings
29-Mar-2010, 10:21
Interesting Chris....on a bicycle? Is it a 4x5 with a descent tripod? You are the man. I love bicycling in Chicago, we ride from the Loop up to the Botanical Garden a few times every summer. But with a 4x5? I don't think so.

Check out Bob Thall's work sometime.

Richard Wasserman
29-Mar-2010, 11:20
If I can toot my own horn for a minute, I have a book coming out next year on The Chicago River, all black and white–large format. Some of the photos are on my website at the address below.

Kirk Gittings
29-Mar-2010, 11:56
If I can toot my own horn for a minute, I have a book coming out next year on The Chicago River, all black and white–large format. Some of the photos are on my website at the address below.

Really nice Richard....masterful. Maybe I could get you to give a little talk to my class this summer at SAIC?

chris_4622
29-Mar-2010, 12:31
Yes Kirk, a bicycle.

I have my 5x7 in a pack on my back and strap the tripod on a rack with my dark cloth underneath. I use a carbon fiber tripod with the 410 geared head.
As long as the temperatures are above freezing. If it is colder I'll take the El and hike.

If you have some time when you come to town and want to get together let me know.

chris

Robbie Shymanski
29-Mar-2010, 12:33
(in addition to Rick Bayles' La Frontiera Grill!).

Xoco. It's his new restaurant. Mexican street food. All walk up. Kind of amazing. Also I cannot say enough about the Publican (oysters, pork, beer) and Big Star (tacos and whiskey).

Henry Ambrose
29-Mar-2010, 12:46
Excellent work Richard!

I'll likely be back this summer.
Maybe with advance notice a group can meet for lunch?

Rick Moore
29-Mar-2010, 13:54

Fine work, Richard. My favorite is the one of the old Ward's headquarters.

--
Rick

Kirk Gittings
29-Mar-2010, 14:10
Excellent work Richard!

I'll likely be back this summer.
Maybe with advance notice a group can meet for lunch?

I'll be there something like June 1st through July 15th. I'd love to get together.

Richard Wasserman
29-Mar-2010, 14:22
Really nice Richard....masterful. Maybe I could get you to give a little talk to my class this summer at SAIC?

Kirk, I'd be delighted to. Just let me know when and where, and if you would like any particular emphasis to the talk.

Richard Wasserman
29-Mar-2010, 14:27
I'll be there something like June 1st through July 15th. I'd love to get together.

Sounds good to me too!

Richard Wasserman
29-Mar-2010, 14:31
Fine work, Richard. My favorite is the one of the old Ward's headquarters.
--
Rick

Thank you very much

ljsegil
30-Mar-2010, 11:39
For a real fresh and fascinating take on Chicago, check out Michael Smith and Paula Chamblee's new joint book "Chicago: Loop/Chicago: Lake", a truly original look at the city that showed me Chicago in ways that forty years of living here never did. A major winner.
Work and spousal obligations permitimg, I'd be delighted to join a group gathering in Chicago or environs for whatever kind of fun, be it food, chat, or even photogaphy that may be arranged, though I am not sure that my meager talents, lesser accomplishments, and relative inexperience with LF render me worthy of the crowd that appears to be forming.
But it's all in fun,
Larry Segil