PDA

View Full Version : What's this?

Pawlowski6132
28-Mar-2010, 07:25
What do you guys think this (http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pho/1660628995.html)is?

Is this for a native wide format film?

BarryS
28-Mar-2010, 07:33
It looks like a Century studio camera and one of the earlier studio stands. The wide sliding carriage was designed to place multiple images on the same sheet of film.

Peter K
28-Mar-2010, 07:38
Is this for a native wide format film?
For a native wide format plate. ;)

Possible a Tessar 2_10mm?

Pawlowski6132
28-Mar-2010, 07:44
It looks like a Century studio camera and one of the earlier studio stands. The wide sliding carriage was designed to place multiple images on the same sheet of film.

I'm confused (what's new). Sounds like you're saying a long piece of film was used in the original holder and the holder was moved horizontally for multiple exposures?

In lieu of that, seems kind of lame that this camera can only be used for 5x7 film now.

John T
28-Mar-2010, 08:13
No, it takes two 5x7 images on an 8x10 piece of film. Also in a portrait studio, it isn't lame, it is very productive.

Pawlowski6132
28-Mar-2010, 08:19
Ahhh, so, this is primarily an 8x10 camera. And there's a film holder that allows you to take two exposures on an 8x10 piece of film.

John T
28-Mar-2010, 08:21
Yes. Sometimes you can find a regular 8x10 back for that camera also. Mine came with both

Louis Pacilla
28-Mar-2010, 08:59
Hi PAWLOW
This is a Century Penny camera & a Universal stand Pre Semi Centennial
The camera is very collectible & usable it is called a Penny camera.
It travels both vertically as well as horizontally. This camera should have a bunch of inserts that you put behind the GG & this way the photographer could make up to 42 little images on one 5x7 plate or film. I have one in mint condition w/ all inserts so I do have this knowledge.

You CAN NOT put a 8x10 back as it to small. Think of it as a studio camera's little brother. You can however make one 5x7 image as it sits. The inserts are mostly of interest to collectors.

John T
28-Mar-2010, 09:23
Louis is right about the size of the film-sorry my mistake. I should have noticed it's size compared to the stand. But is it the Penny? I can't see all the little detents for the multiple stops. Of course the photo isn't very detailed. The one issue with the 5x7 studio cameras is that they take up a lot of space-the stand is the same for the 8x10 cameras.