PDA

View Full Version : Focus Cloth - Where Do I Find One?

ARCHIVIST
26-Mar-2010, 07:22
My old faithful focus cloth died last weekend. A savage bug attack of some sort has made it rather perferated.

I want to replace it (obviously) but all this week I have not been able find one, either on eBay or via photographic retailers here in Australia.

Where would I buy a proper focus cloth from? My old one was silver/white on one side and black on the other and came form an old photo studio in North Sydney.

I have looked at fabric stores but their offerings are way too thick / heavy. I need a proper one either new or used.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Peter

Bob Salomon
26-Mar-2010, 07:54
My old faithful focus cloth died last weekend. A savage bug attack of some sort has made it rather perferated.

I want to replace it (obviously) but all this week I have not been able find one, either on eBay or via photographic retailers here in Australia.

Where would I buy a proper focus cloth from? My old one was silver/white on one side and black on the other and came form an old photo studio in North Sydney.

I have looked at fabric stores but their offerings are way too thick / heavy. I need a proper one either new or used.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Wista makes two excellent ones. If you want one that is different then Linhof also makes one.

Regards
Peter

Mark Stahlke
26-Mar-2010, 08:55
I don't know what you consider a proper focus cloth but I think the Blackjacket (http://www.quietworks.com/frames_files/BJ_SPECIFICATIONS/BJ_NEW_HOME_FRAME_.htm) is the only way to go.

Brian Ellis
26-Mar-2010, 09:30
www.viewcamerastore.com

BTZS hood - small, light-weight, shipping shouldn't cost all that much, I don't know about Australian import duties, tariffs, etc.

Robert Hall
26-Mar-2010, 09:39
Ive tried both and really like the BTZS cloth, but I have used my sweatshirt on several occasions. I just pull the bottom over my head and around the camera. It can get a little chilly but works well.

twellsphoto
26-Mar-2010, 14:35
I went to a hancocks sewing store and found a roll of the stuff they use to make rain jackets out of. Ends up one side is light grey and the other is black, plus if it starts raining I can use it as a bag cover.

ki6mf
26-Mar-2010, 19:01
I now use the larger size double wall nylon changing bag as my dark cloth. I might seem small to some and it works for me plus it folds up very and stuffs in small spaces. Its also much less money

catshaver
26-Mar-2010, 19:35
I think Calumet still sells theirs brand new. I have an old tatty one that has earned its keep for sure.

Jan Pedersen
26-Mar-2010, 20:04
Guess it is not cool for men to sit behind a sowing machine but they are quite simple to make and very easy to customize to your prefered colors, inside and out.
Fabric does not cost much and is available in stores like Jo-Ann and other chain stores acros the US.
Can't imagine that would be much different down under.
Time to be creative.

ARCHIVIST
26-Mar-2010, 21:40
Thanks for all the good info.

Regards
Peter