PDA

View Full Version : Zion Fall Color?

Darren H
25-Mar-2010, 07:07
Thinking of doing a week in Zion NP for the fall color in Zion Canyon. I know the color is best in the general term of "early November" and that color can vary every year.

I can take a week off, but it's just a week so after allowing for travel that mean I could be there Nov 1-5 or Nov 8-12.

Anyone have any thoughts on what would generally be the better of the two weeks for the colors along the valley?

Thanks for input!

Adam Kavalunas
25-Mar-2010, 09:04
From my experience, I would say the first week. This should still allow you to hike the Subway, which peaks the last week of October, but still should have good color. The Cottonwoods along the Virgin River will be at peak, and the maples along the main will also be at peak or close to it. It is certainly possible that it could just happen to be a late year, but I think you will be the safest by planning on the first week.

mrladewig
25-Mar-2010, 11:26
I would echo Adam's suggestion. The maples could be done and gone by November, but the cottonwoods were still green on our trip in late October last year. We unfortunately timed our trip a bit after the peak in the maples, but before the peak in the cottonwoods.

Drew Wiley
25-Mar-2010, 11:43
Will vary from year to year of course. But Zion canyon per se seems to be early Nov,
while upper Zion or Kolob Can area, late Oct.

Darren H
26-Mar-2010, 05:23
Thanks for the tips!

Jim Becia
26-Mar-2010, 11:02
Generally the east side and Kolob area go off about mid October. That has been the case for the last several years when I've visited. The main canyon is later, usually in November. Obviously, the change varies a little from year to year. Here are a couple of photos taken on the east side this January. Needless to say, seeing fall color like this in January was a pleasant surprise. While I was in the area, the east side of Zion had about 4 feet of snow. The second image was taken about 3 to 4 days after the first one. These are just quick scans of a couple of 4x5 pieces of film. (the 8x10's look nicer.) Jim

Darren H
27-Mar-2010, 13:20
Great images Jim!

There was some nice snow in on the Colorado Plateau this year.

Tom Monego
27-Mar-2010, 14:58
We were in Zion mid October '08 and the east side and Kolob were starting to change, there was snow the day we hiked in the Kolob area. We rushed over to the Paria to see if we could get into the hike to the Wave, no luck, on the way out there were beautiful yellow Aspens until we hit the desert. We were coming back in 4 days so I thought I could photograph them then. A windy cold front came through and blew down the leaves, nothing on the way back. So much for the 60-80 degree temps the weather channel forecast, the last 4 days it didn't get above 50. So have warm clothes, we were at Pink sands at noon, it was 35 degrees, the ranger said the gusts were up to 50mph.
Have fun, we did, oh yes ran into a couple of view cameras, I was jealous, but there was no way to travel with a 4x5 on an airplane now, they were traveling by camper.

Tom

Jeffrey Sipress
27-Mar-2010, 22:47
It's always a crapshoot, but I'd also suggest the first week of Nov.