PDA

View Full Version : Field 8x10 work

Robin Radcliffe
5-Dec-1998, 14:28
I have been doing field work with 4x5 (Zone IV) in remote areas and have used th e Fuji Quickload system with excellent results. I am now planning to move up to 8x10 and have a question regarding changing film in remote locations. Obviousl y, Quickload is not an option for 8x10 and my guess is that it never will be. W orking in remote areas for long periods (ie. weeks) necessitates use of some typ e of film changing tent. I have seen the Harrison film changing tents in Calume t. Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions for changing film in remote locations? Thanks.

Shigehiro Ishii
5-Dec-1998, 23:13
Your question is exactly what I'm always annoyed about. My main camera is 8x10 and I usually take 10 holders with me when I make a long tirp. Sometimes I have to reload films in the feild. I use a Harrison tent but it's a little bit clumsy to handle five holders, a box of film and an empty box for exposed sheets. However it's the one and only in terms of quality and portability as far as I know.

Ellis Vener
5-Dec-1998, 23:37
i don't work in 8x10 buti am pretty sure that Harrison makes different sizes of dark tents. check with the F-Stops here or Photomark to see about the 8x10/ movi e camera version which is very large.

Peter Hughes
6-Dec-1998, 00:25
You can buy a large changing bag from Samy's in Santa Barbara for under $70. It's big enough for 8x10, small and light enough to carry.

michael_487
6-Dec-1998, 03:30
Photoflex "changing room" is an alternative that works fine.

Mike Long
6-Dec-1998, 09:39
I admire you guys for using an 8x10 in the field. The only time I've seen it done was by a less experienced 8x10 person and, frankly, it seemed a laborious, daunting pursuit.

Naturally, I don't use the 4x5 that quickly and I wouldn't expect the 8x10 to be used quickly either but I would expect it to be a smooth, pleasurable process. What are the keys to using the 8x10 properly?

M

Sergio Ortega
7-Dec-1998, 11:40
Robin, I really admire your ambition. I seldom, if ever, use 8x10 on long trip s anymore, for a multitude of reasons. But that's another thread.

Changing/loading 8x10 film in a "loose" bag, where the fabric is not suspended a nd comes into direct contact with your hands/film/holders, no matter how large, can be a total distaster. You will have incredible amounts of dust and lint dep osited on your film, even if you clean the interior of the bag beforehand. And the dust/lint will always manage to come to rest in the clear, sky areas of the negative, never in the heavily-textured foreground areas.

You're on the right track: Calumet (or others) has the extra-large Harrison film tent for 8x10 (and larger) film changing/loading. It is expensive, but it will save you the purchase/development cost of ruined 8x10 film. The taught, suspen ded interior of the extra-large version will keep dust and lint to a minimum

Good luck, Sergio.

karl poterack
9-Dec-1998, 23:04
I dabble a little bit in 4x5 with an old speed graphic. I use the photoflex unit mentioned above to load all my holders. It's a little clumsy, but it works okay, and as aluded to above, it has rigid supports so the "bag" itself doesnt come in contact with the film and holders. I think I spent $50-70 for it.

Jacque Staskon
14-Dec-1998, 16:47
I have used the photoflex system for quite a while now and I find that it works very well for my 4x5 and the 8x10 that I borrow from a friend. I do however put a box inside to separate film from holders and a little can of air to use on the holders to keep them clean, along with a 2" brush.