PDA

View Full Version : Impossible films 'save' Polaroid photography from extinction

Kevin M Bourque
23-Mar-2010, 09:15
I know this has been talked about for ages but it looks like they're about to go on sale. Sorry if this is a repeat.

"New black & white films for use in traditional Polaroid cameras will go on sale this week - the first in a series designed to 'save instant photography from extinction'".

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Impossible_films_save_Polaroid_photography_from_extinction_update_news_296139.html

Robbie Shymanski
23-Mar-2010, 14:04
Keep in mind, those "traditional Polaroid cameras" are the SX-70/600 series cameras. The push the button and the plastic print pops out the front and develops before your eyes. It has been stated by the Impossible Project that peel-apart materials are not in the cards for the moment. So unless some one is coming up with a Graflok back that uses this new/old film pack, yawn.

VictoriaPerelet
23-Mar-2010, 17:51
...So unless some one is coming up with a Graflok back that uses this new/old film pack, yawn.

Integral Polaroid Films that were used in SX series cameras (and what Impossible project is going to sell to start with) develops image on opposite side of film. System of mirrors in SX-70 puts reversed image on film plane to correct for this. Even if one makes graflok back for that film image from view camera will be mirrored:)

What's wrong with Fuji 4x5 instant?

PenGun
23-Mar-2010, 18:11
Integral Polaroid Films that were used in SX series cameras (and what Impossible project is going to sell to start with) develops image on opposite side of film. System of mirrors in SX-70 puts reversed image on film plane to correct for this. Even if one makes graflok back for that film image from view camera will be mirrored:)

What's wrong with Fuji 4x5 instant?

Won't fit in my Sexy 70. It still works ... if I only had some film for it. My favorite blurry flower just keeps getting better. ;)

Robbie Shymanski
23-Mar-2010, 19:20

Yes, and the image in the ground glass is still upside down.

VictoriaPerelet
23-Mar-2010, 21:59
Robbie, for your information and your future education :D

Image on GG is "upside down" but direction is order. Direct image projection on negative side of Integral Pola film develops on "OTHER" side of film which makes image mirrored (switches left & right). Here are diagrams that show difference and structure of Polacolor and Integral films:

http://victoriasphoto.com/Notes/PolaColor/Integral.jpg

http://victoriasphoto.com/Notes/PolaColor/Polacolor2.jpg

Robbie Shymanski
23-Mar-2010, 22:41
I have that book too.

Robbie Shymanski
23-Mar-2010, 22:50
Added that if I wanted a better read on dead photo technology, I will grab my copy of Outerbrigde's "Photographing In Color".

Less instant, better image and color.

And more relevant to LF!

Wallace_Billingham
24-Mar-2010, 07:30
Also the new film to put it bluntly looks like crap. Why anyone would use this is beyond me. If you are looking for simple instant cameras and film the Fuji Instax System is much better and much cheaper

Dirk Rösler
24-Mar-2010, 18:35
Also the new film to put it bluntly looks like crap.

What is this judgement based on please, can you elaborate?

Thebes
24-Mar-2010, 19:45
Also the new film to put it bluntly looks like crap. Why anyone would use this is beyond me. If you are looking for simple instant cameras and film the Fuji Instax System is much better and much cheaper

Lots of people used to manipulate SX-70 images. Though perhaps why anyone would manipulate them is beyond you, dunno...

Duane Polcou
24-Mar-2010, 23:06
I attended the press conference at the NYC office of The Impossible Project this Monday 3/22. The two principals of the company producing films explained that much of the material Polaroid used to produce integral instant films is no longer available, specifically the substrate material. So basically they have started from scratch to reformulate the film architecture and to modify the coating machines they received from Polaroid to new tolerances. They explained that for color film, color dyes need a storing period before they can be incorporated into a mass produced film and they haven't even begun to tackle that as of yet.

On display were prints from their new film and enlargements made from scans from the SX-70 type prints. They are what I would call low contrast sepia. They explained that this is the first offering from their company and if all goes well (i.e., there is an actual market) that other films will follow.

Given the logistics and expense of transporting all of that machinery to Europe, finding a factory, starting R&D, and hiring a crew, I have nothing but respect for these people. Their enthusiasm for instant film is amazing.

However, when asked (by myself) if they would ever produce film packs for medium and large format camera backs, they replied no, as the technology for peel-apart film and integral film are entirely different, and one should look to Fuji for these products.

Wallace_Billingham
25-Mar-2010, 07:02
What is this judgement based on please, can you elaborate?

Sure here is slide show from them that you would think represents the best images they can find

http://www.the-impossible-project.com/projects/collection

Here is a real world test shot by the reviewer at the British Journal of Photography

http://www.1854.eu/2010/03/handson_with_impossible_px100.html

I am a big fan of lowfi images. I shoot with a lot of pinhole cameras, and Holga cameras. It costs $22 and for that you get 8 shots. You better not expose it to even mild cold or mild heat so shooting in the winter or the summer is out.

You would think that for the premium price they are charging it would be better. You can get better results shooting paper negs in a pinhole camera made from an oatmeal box

goamules
25-Mar-2010, 07:29
...here is slide show from them that you would think represents the best images they can find...You can get better results shooting paper negs in a pinhole camera made from an oatmeal box

HA! I agree. It looks like a bunch of my early fogged, overexposed wetplates!

Garrett

CG
25-Mar-2010, 12:19
I dunno. More interesting than many technically perfect but emotionally stunted work I've seen too many places. I like the look of some items on that site. All that said, I'd like to see the stuff myself and see what it is capable of.

djcphoto
25-Mar-2010, 18:55
While I am a little disappointed in what I've seen of the new film so far, and the pricing, I went online today to order a pack to see for myself. However, when they added $11 to the cost for shipping I got out of there really fast! Seriously, $33 for eight shots is outrageous. My SX-70 is destined to stay in retirement...

Robbie Shymanski
25-Mar-2010, 22:11
So, I will just go out with the hipster crowd with my first generation SX-70 with the super-sweet leather case, make sure everyone know I have it, mock shooting with it, actually shoot with my D-Lux-4, manipulate in PS, post on Facebook, no one will know the diff, and I save $33!