PDA

View Full Version : Which Image Crcle Covers The Symmar 80xl

Rainer
14-Feb-2002, 17:51
i cant find infos on the schneider homepage....they still manufacturing this len se or they stopped? is not 80mm a good compromise instead of using 72xl and 90mm lenses...i mean together with 58mm and 110mm it covers all what i need in this range....what you think about? i am shooting architecture and sometimes landscap es....and use actually now 35/47/58/90/150/210/360 mm lenses for6x12cm/ 4x5"...a nd think in selling my 8/90mm and in buying a new 5,6/90mm and 72xl lense.....or the 80xl (if the image circle is enough...) and the 110xl lenses. thanks for sharing experiences.....greatings from europe

Walter Glover
14-Feb-2002, 18:23
Rainer,

I also shoot 6x12 and 4x5 for architects and interior designers and use a similar range of optics.

Depending upon which camera you use I would suggest that the 72mm XL is an excellent choice. I considered the 80mm XL but realised that the limited image circle would prove prohibitive. I also had concerns regarding reports of the optical performance of the lens.

My concern with camera type is that the 72mm XL on a Linhof MT 2000 is restricted in its physical movement by the camera housing.

geetings from Down-Under,

Walter Glover

Rainer
14-Feb-2002, 18:28
thanks walter, if the image circle of the 80xl is not big enough....i mean should be around 220millimeter or more...my question is responded.....cause this lense will probalby be the most used for me, and clear it is more than important that the shift range is enough.......so i will decide for the 72xl and the 5,6/90mm lenses....

Rainer
14-Feb-2002, 18:29
p.s. i use a technikardan s....

Walter Glover
14-Feb-2002, 18:29
Rainer,

The published image circle of the 80mm XL is 212mm @ f22

Greetings from the Down-Under wonder that's a wonder down-under,

Walter

Jeff Scott
14-Feb-2002, 23:03
Walter,

If you are concerned about the wide angle "efficiency" of your Linhof, why not consider an Ebony 45SU. I recently replaced my Technika with this camera and believe me the wide angle capability is unbelievable. It can take a bag bellows but the standard bellows has a bag as the front part of it, so it may work quite well with most wide lenses as is. The range of movements are superior to virtually every camera I have used in the past. Check out Richard Sexton's articles on the benefits of Ebony's non-folding designs; everything he says really does make sense. http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam/fold.exp.html http://www.ebonycamera.com/rev/45SU.Sexton.html http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam/assym.exp.html

Paul Schilliger
15-Feb-2002, 03:31
I have not used the 80XL so far, but I have been lurking for one for some time.. . I have the SA 5,6/90 with an image circle of 234cm if my memory is right. I have used it a lot inside and have neve r runned out of image circle. The image circle of the 80XL seems smaller in numbers, but if you put it in proporti on of the focal length, it is very similar to the SA 90. I think it would take extreme shots like standing on the side-walk right in front of a tall building and having the convergence fully corrected to miss some image circle, and the other qualities of this lens (weight, size, sharpness) makes it very appealing to me.

Rainer
15-Feb-2002, 06:52
hi paul, to me it seems a lot of difference between 236 and 212mm....although the lense is some shorter. i fear would not be enough movement possibilitie....they will be around 55mm up, if you dont move at the same time horizontal, and this i need sometimes, if i cant stand in front of a building or if i want to have the frontside corrected horizontal and vertical, and showing also one side aof the building....so i think with the 72mm i will reach a lot of movement more......with its 226mm. i would like to be wrong with my opinion, cause 80mm would be a perfect substitue for BOTH lenses: 72 + 90mm. less weight to carry and less costs to buy........

Paul Schilliger
15-Feb-2002, 07:45
All depends on what you want to do with it. Go for the 72XL.

Rainer
15-Feb-2002, 08:24
THATS RIGHT....architecture work is what i have to do with it.....