PDA

View Full Version : Viewfinder app for iPhone

vijaylff
21-Mar-2010, 21:22
Sorry if this has already been posted. A Luminous Landscape review of an iPhone app that could help with framing:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/viewfinder.shtml

sultanofcognac
21-Mar-2010, 23:08
Oh, great. Thanks for totally destroying my budget for this month! Just when I thought I would be safe from calls from the credit card company!

Cheers :p

Johnny

uniB
24-Mar-2010, 05:02
Thanks for posting the link.

Considering the aps you can get for just a few $ for the iPhone this seems totally overpriced – $14.99 – not the sort of money you're going to shell out just to give it a go, if the Pro version (which I understand you need for LF) were the price of the standard version then maybe.

I've actually given up using my Linhof viewfinder, these days I prefer a cut out piece of black plastic as my viewfinder, I still see this as a better option than faffing about with my iPhone.

evan clarke
24-Mar-2010, 05:57
I have anew model Linhof viewer which will still be my main device but I bought the pro version of this app and it's pretty cool. I have 125 apps on my phone and this is near the top of the list. I use Photojot as a remembering tool for future photography and you can save images in Viewfinder to use in PJ which are recorded with the aspect and lens focal lengths for future reference...Evan Clarke

Marko
3-Apr-2010, 18:19
They are now on sale for 7.99 for the Pro version.

Jon Wilson
3-Apr-2010, 21:13
Do you know if this app will work with a Blackberry? Jon

gth
4-Apr-2010, 00:17
I got the Pro version and it works as advertized. HAve not actually used it while shooting though, just walked around and chimped with it.

Good coverage of formats, including medium and panorama formats and of course LF 2x3, 4x5, 5x7, x8x10

Caveats:

No input for "custom" film formats
You can input custom focal lengths
No 6x9 format!! :mad:
with 90 mm and 4x5 you seem to run out of what the iphone can display. 152 mm (6 in) is almost at edge of screen

Marko
4-Apr-2010, 11:54
No 6x9 format!! :mad:

There is a 2x3" Generic LF format listed under "Camera Bodies" - this is close enough to be practically the same as 6x9 focal length-wise and it has the same aspect ratio.

with 90 mm and 4x5 you seem to run out of what the iphone can display. 152 mm (6 in) is almost at edge of screen

This is an iPhone limitation, not software limitation - they do support wider lenses with the use of wide-angle adapters. There are many of those available and the program even lists the required minimum magnification factor for each focal length that is out of native lens range. I think that was a nice touch.

I bought the Pro version at the "sale" price and I like it very much so far. It will be great for both framing and for scouting ahead.

Lachlan 717
4-Apr-2010, 13:18
The Panovision version is going to have Custom ratios in its next incarnation.

evan clarke
4-Apr-2010, 15:39
They are now on sale for 7.99 for the Pro version.

Crap, I should have waited a week...EC