PDA

View Full Version : Character of Ilex Ocillo Paragon 75mm f1.9

Paul van der Hoof
13-Feb-2002, 14:07
Does any one know of the technical specs or character of the Ilex Ocillo Paragon 75mm f1.9 for macro work on 4x5. Found a beauty for cheap and was told it cove rs for macro on 4x5 but otherwise I'm in the dark on this one.

Jim Galli
13-Feb-2002, 18:45
Remember that they are corrected for the curvature of an older rounded CRT a few inches away and also for colors outside our normal spectrum. I've played with them at smaller aps to correct and was underwhelmed. A $9 flat field japanese enl. lens from ebay would likely be a better choice. The old #3 ilex'x can be useful. Good luck.

Pete Andrews
14-Feb-2002, 07:19
Yes, I tend to agree with Jim. Those old oscilloscope cameras weren't designed for high image quality, just to get a useable picture of the green 'scope trace. The wide aperture was necessary because the scope trace gets quite dim at fast sweep rates.I don't know about the 'paragon', but it might be similar to a Wollensack 'Oscillo-Raptar'. I've seen those with the same spec of 75mm focal length and f/1.9 aperture. The oscillo-raptar is at the top end of oscilloscope camera lens quality, which still ain't saying much. The shutter's probably the most valuable part of it.

Greggles
18-Aug-2024, 03:51
Yes, I tend to agree with Jim. Those old oscilloscope cameras weren't designed for high image quality, just to get a useable picture of the green 'scope trace. The wide aperture was necessary because the scope trace gets quite dim at fast sweep rates.I don't know about the 'paragon', but it might be similar to a Wollensack 'Oscillo-Raptar'. I've seen those with the same spec of 75mm focal length and f/1.9 aperture. The oscillo-raptar is at the top end of oscilloscope camera lens quality, which still ain't saying much. The shutter's probably the most valuable part of it.

Almost identical to the Raptar. Not bad adapted but as mentioned best at macro with an amazing bokeh. 252446252447

arri
19-Aug-2024, 01:29
My experiance is that the ocilloscope lenses are well corrected, the lenses having no distortions when used in the recommended range.
The Steinheil Oscillo Quinon 56mm f/1.9 has zero! distortion at 1:1 but a higher at infinity. I have had the diagram for this lens, so it is not a meaning, it is the true.

The sharpness is very good in the ratio between 3:1 - 1:3

The usable angle of view is small but thatīs the standard for macro lenses.

The most of the oscilloscope lenses are made of eight elements!
A very high expenditure.

When you need the best performance of a bad template you need a very, very good lens but often with a special kind of design. Why? Very simple, you donīt want to lose any information of the template. To use a bad lens for this job is nonsens!

I use the Oscillo Quinon lenses in 56mm f/1.9; 75mm f/1.9 and 100mm f/2.8
For me a very good choice in the range around 1:1 The high speed makes ist easier to focus.

I thing the Paragon is in the same level and when it has a shutter and get it for small money, try it.

You can value a lens only when you have used it by your self.
The most guys are talking about but never used one of it.
So the meanings canīt be fair, the descriped quality is estimated but not proofed.

Hereīs a sample I made with the 56mm Quinon ration 3:1; 4x5" @f16

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48728347428_ec858ab7c9_b.jpg

Tin Can
19-Aug-2024, 03:47
I have 2

Everybody told me they are useless

I believed our members

jnantz
19-Aug-2024, 05:37
The most guys are talking about but never used one of it.

yup, same as it ever was ...
arabica (beans) .. !

Tin Can
19-Aug-2024, 08:46
yup, same as it ever was ...
arabica (beans) .. !

I often used a 5" round tube oscilloscope and the very expensive hand held camera

to catch the moving trace on Polaroid