PDA

View Full Version : HK MR 2000 enlarger?

Stephanie Brim
19-Mar-2010, 22:50
Anyone have information on this beast. I'm seeing one on the 'bay near me...near enough to be able to go get, anyway...and I'm curious about the maximum negative size it can take and also whether or not it's even worth my time.

Stephanie Brim
19-Mar-2010, 23:04
Er...and I'm a little daft today. Can someone move this where it belongs? :D

ic-racer
20-Mar-2010, 08:28
Is it a horizontal enlarger like this? If so, it will certainly enlarge 8x10 negatives.

Stephanie Brim
20-Mar-2010, 09:25
No, it's wall mounted. It's also very, very large.

I know that most of you have enlargers so I could probably just post the darn link, but it's got 4 days left still and I really hope it doesn't go over my budget. Then I get to call my dad and go on a road trip. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROFESSIONAL-COLOR-ENLARGER-HK-MR-2000-20-BY-30-PRINTS_W0QQitemZ260570863742

Massive.

For the love of large format photography, please don't bid. (Obviously I know this won't work, but I figured I'd ask anyway.)

bob carnie
20-Mar-2010, 10:26
I used this enlarger , it is an impressive piece of equipment.
It takes quite a few bulbs to power the head but if the timer works , it is a wonderful enlarger.
You will need a big truck but this is a winner.

No, it's wall mounted. It's also very, very large.

I know that most of you have enlargers so I could probably just post the darn link, but it's got 4 days left still and I really hope it doesn't go over my budget. Then I get to call my dad and go on a road trip. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROFESSIONAL-COLOR-ENLARGER-HK-MR-2000-20-BY-30-PRINTS_W0QQitemZ260570863742

Massive.

For the love of large format photography, please don't bid. (Obviously I know this won't work, but I figured I'd ask anyway.)

Stephanie Brim
20-Mar-2010, 10:51
My dad has a Dodge with a topper, but he could take it off if we need to. What's the largest size negative it can do, out of curiosity?

My main issue is where the heck I'm going to mount it in the basement if I do get it. The walls are painted brick since the basement isn't finished.

Donald Miller
20-Mar-2010, 11:06
4x5

Stephanie Brim
20-Mar-2010, 20:34
An interesting thing. The guy selling it says it *can* do up to 8x10.

I also misread the photo and he says that it's free standing. I wonder if I *could* wall mount it.

It's almost like this is too good to be true. It's relatively close, it seems to do all the formats I need it to, and it comes with almost everything I need to make it work. I'd need to source one more lens (a 210 or so for 5x7) and and either find or make a negative carrier and I'd be ready to go.

Of course...I'm thinking that this may need more power than I have access to down in the basement right now. I guess now would be the time to have my cousin come and put that end of the basement on its own circuit and give me another couple of 4-up outlets. :D

Brian Ellis
20-Mar-2010, 23:11
Why would you want a behemoth enlarger like this, that looks like it's old, well-used and for which replacement parts surely are no longer available, when you could get a much newer Beseler or Omega for very little money? While parts are going to be a problem for any enlarger these days, at least there are thousands and thousands of Beselers and Omegas still around so parts won't completely disappear for a long time.

ic-racer
21-Mar-2010, 10:01
when you could get a much newer Beseler or Omega for very little money?.
Beseler does not make a 'real' 8x10 enlarger, and the Omega, though still available new, is about $16,000 for just the chassis. Also, the Omega Dichro head is much older in design and downright primitive compared to the HK in question.This HK has a modern closed loop 10x10 head. Omega never made anything like that in 8x10. Basically this is like an 8x10 version of the Omega D5500.

That HK enlarger is for 8x10 negatives. With a 240mm lens you should be able to get an enlargement 40" across on the table. I can't tell if the baseboard lowers toward the ground, but if it does, you should be able to get 40" across with a 300mm lens.

It is a free standing enlarger. You can't really wall mount something like that (why would you want to ??)

If it is close, I'd go and see it. There was a similar situation in another thread. From what I understand the local seller helped Jon move and set up his new 8x10 enlarger he got from an e-bay auction. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=565123&postcount=41

nolindan
21-Mar-2010, 13:39
The problem many people run into with these enlargers is ceiling height. You should get the height of the enlarger and see that it will fit. Some people have removed the ceiling between the joists to get an extra 8 inches or so. Some have cut a hole in the floor of the room above and made a box that covers up the top of the column where it extends into the upstairs room.

Brian Ellis
21-Mar-2010, 23:22
Beseler does not make a 'real' 8x10 enlarger, and the Omega, though still available new, is about $16,000 for just the chassis. Also, the Omega Dichro head is much older in design and downright primitive compared to the HK in question.This HK has a modern closed loop 10x10 head. Omega never made anything like that in 8x10. Basically this is like an 8x10 version of the Omega D5500.

That HK enlarger is for 8x10 negatives. With a 240mm lens you should be able to get an enlargement 40" across on the table. I can't tell if the baseboard lowers toward the ground, but if it does, you should be able to get 40" across with a 300mm lens.

It is a free standing enlarger. You can't really wall mount something like that (why would you want to ??)

If it is close, I'd go and see it. There was a similar situation in another thread. From what I understand the local seller helped Jon move and set up his new 8x10 enlarger he got from an e-bay auction. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=565123&postcount=41

The OP didn't know what the maximum negative size was, someone else said it was 4x5. If it's 8x10 then obviously that's a whole different deal. My suggestion of a Beseler or Omega was based on the statement that it was a 4x5.

ic-racer
22-Mar-2010, 05:21
someone else said it was 4x5.

You can't believe everything you read on the internet:D

Its curious that you said it looked "old."

That HK is one of the slickest, most modern and sophistocated 8x10 enlarger I have ever seen. By comparison the most recent Durst enlargers are downright primitive.

Brian Ellis
22-Mar-2010, 05:56
You can't believe everything you read on the internet:D

Its curious that you said it looked "old."

That HK is one of the slickest, most modern and sophistocated 8x10 enlarger I have ever seen. By comparison the most recent Durst enlargers are downright primitive.

My statement about looking old was based on the apparent condition of parts of the enlarger as shown in pictures #2 and #3.

bob carnie
22-Mar-2010, 06:37
The unit does look well worn, I used this head on a overhead lisle camera in the early mid 80's , If I can remember right the head used 16,,, yes 16 bulbs, if one burned you would have to replace it as this was a closed loop system which would recognize a burnout.

I was completely happy with this units coverage and power and if it is working now and the OP can find a manual , I think it is a wonderful find.
I would be concerned about the electronics , by looking at the pics this is a well used or abused enlarger but IMO not in the same class as my Durst CLS 2000 8x10 , even in mint condition with all the proper paperwork and availability of parts and service.

For home darkroom this unit if working right is overkill, and more than enough enlarger for any bucks spent on it.. Probably a 30K or over enlarger when new.

ic-racer
23-Mar-2010, 06:09
My statement about looking old was based on the apparent condition of parts of the enlarger as shown in pictures #2 and #3.

Ok, I see and agree with that.

civich
25-Mar-2010, 06:54
So Stephanie, did you buy it? At $49, even if it didn't work, it would at least make an interesting bit of yard sculpture. Give us some closure here.

Dave Ludwig
30-Mar-2010, 20:58
Stephanie, I found your inquiries after close of Ebay on this item. I am the person who bought this item. The unit is not working, didn't expect it too, the unit weighs about 700lbs and based on all the faxes kept by the previous owner from HK this unit was purchased in about 1992, which had to be one of the last ones they made before
company was sold and never to be made again. The original proposal price for this unit
was $40,000

The quality of this enlarger is much like asking a person why they always buy the same car. My opinion of the HK is there is no other enlarger like it anywhere. Yes, there are 8 lights(not 16) costing about $100, and yes, when one goes out the unit is inoperable until replaced. The unique design requiring no mixing box is great for vertical enlargers. Light mixing is done in what I call the magic dome inside the head itself. Unit came with original brochure, offer, operating manual. Was hoping for some type of electrical schematics as the table is filled with electronics.

Reason people shy away from these is there are no parts available and those who are able to refurbish charge huge amounts. Being what I believe to be the best ever made I have to say the only reasons a person should buy one is, if you already have a head and control panel you can use to get your spare parts, or buy one knowing you will have to aquire another. A long process.

I have a MR2000 head and controls for spare parts which I will need to get this one running and for future. It has been a long process to get to this point where I can now refurbish this unit.

If you are still watching this thread Stephanie, what I can do for you is offer you
a Durst Laborator 184 converted into horizontal with a 184/301 laco box and Durst
CLS301 dichroic head, lens board. The 301 is normally for 5x7 but the Laco box is designed for the 184. The exposures will probably be longer than normal due to light output. The enlarger itself will also need a new bellows, you can have one made by several companies or make one yourself. The original bellows is still attached and you would need as a pattern if you make your own. These are all parts I have laying around that would need some work. There are several places on the web where you can find a working 8x10 or 2-3K

I found this discussion after the end of the HK sale and decided to join.

Stephanie Brim
30-Mar-2010, 21:17
Welcome to the board! We're (mostly) pretty friendly here so feel free to jump right in with both feet.

I've since found a nice contact frame. I'm going to get brand new anti-glare glass for it tomorrow and start using it this weekend if I can. I'm going to just contact print until I can find a complete and working enlarger in my price range. As I said, if I had been closer to Tonopah that 8x10 of Jim's would be sitting in my basement waiting for the hole to be cut out of the ceiling. :D

Dave Ludwig
31-Mar-2010, 06:26
Thank you Stephanie for your welcome, and hope you find something soon. I was amazed that I was the only bidder on this HK, but I think the size and weight for picking up yourself limits the range of bidders. It took 3 people and 4 hours to dismantle and load. Anyway, hope you find something soon and if I hear of something will let you know.