PDA

View Full Version : mounting lens to board... first time - seeking advice

mortensen
19-Mar-2010, 10:48
Hi. this might be considered a very stupid question, but...

How do I mount my lens to my board?
I just got a beautiful sample of a Rodenstock Sironar W 150, mounted in a prontor 01
I have a 1-cut technika board (for my chamonix)... and now, what to do?

Are there any special precaution with the prontor shutters, or should I follow the SK grimes page (which is helpful, but doesn't really make me feel comfortable doing it): http://www.skgrimes.com/lensmount/shutmt/index.htm

Thing is, I'm leaving for Italy in a week and this lens is going to be primary for me... so it's imperative, that I don't f*uck up :)

any advice or links to manuals/threads will be greatly appreciated (I did do a search, but couldn't find a thread, that answered these questions)

thanks,
lars

Bob Salomon
19-Mar-2010, 11:03
A Prontor Professional 01 and the Prontor Professional 1 shutters both mount to a 1 size hole. You just remove the rear group from the back of the shutter, remove the jam nut from the rear shutter threads, put the threads through the 1 hole in the board, replace the jam nut and tighten it with a wrench like the Rodenstock and replace the rear cell.

mortensen
19-Mar-2010, 11:08
thanks... I know, it is supposed to be a piece of cake - I'm just afraid of damaging something or not screwing it back together correctly. Do you know of any place, where it is shown in pictures?

thanks again.

Robert Hughes
19-Mar-2010, 11:26
Or of course, if you're like the rest of us, you can always use duck tape to hold it in place...

awldune
19-Mar-2010, 11:34
I don't have pictures, but it really is easy:

1. Hold the lens by the shutter and unscrew the rear part of the lens counter-clockwise.

2. Unscrew the retaining ring.

3. Place the lens onto the board with the rear part of the shutter going through the hole.

4. Screw the retaining ring on. It is meant to be tightened using spanner wrench like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Lens-Spanner-Wrench-Camera-Enlarger/dp/B000HRD0K8
but you can tighten it by hand and then use a drafting compass, scissors, or two flat screwdrivers to tighten it a little further. Try cocking the shutter and see if the shutter holds steady against the lens board. If you feel it shift, then you need to tighten the retaining ring a little more.

5. Screw the rear part of the lens back on.

Bill_1856
19-Mar-2010, 11:34
I like to cut a small donut of felt to put between the shutter and the lensboard just to make sure there's no light leak.

Bob Salomon
19-Mar-2010, 11:46
thanks... I know, it is supposed to be a piece of cake - I'm just afraid of damaging something or not screwing it back together correctly. Do you know of any place, where it is shown in pictures?

thanks again.

You won't damage anything and you can't screw it back together incorrectly, unless you somehow cross thread the threads which I have not seen happen in 30 years of selling cameras and lenses. If you are not sure any camera repair man can do it while you wait and most camera stores that handle professional equipment either in Copenhagen or in Malmö can as well.

Bob Salomon
19-Mar-2010, 11:48
I like to cut a small donut of felt to put between the shutter and the lensboard just to make sure there's no light leak.

Bill,

No need to do that if you have the correct size hole and the correct jam nut. Rodenstock's jam nut has a rim that will block any light leaks.

Bob

Nathan Potter
19-Mar-2010, 15:12
And if you cannot follow the above instructions, your next hurdle, of actually taking a photograph, will certainly be unsuccessful whether or not you actually get the lens mounted. :eek:

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Alan Butcher
19-Mar-2010, 15:39

I would be worried that the felt might retain moisture.

--
Alan

Ernest Purdum
19-Mar-2010, 20:52
Look for a tiny screw on the back of the shutter. It is there to keep the shutter from possibly turning. Many people take it out. I like to use a needle file to make a little notnh in the lenboard to receive the screw.

mortensen
21-Mar-2010, 12:03
thanks, everyone - went shooting with it today and just developed. Everything looks fine, except one slightly shaken negative. probably the wind, although simply firing the shutter (prontor) seems to make the lens shake a tiny bit... but that's probably my imagination. one wouldn't design a professional shutter, causing that kind troubles, right? :)

Peter K
21-Mar-2010, 12:11
Be careful with the - not too short - cable-release. Don't hold it straight but bend it with a soft "s"-curve.

mortensen
21-Mar-2010, 14:06
Be careful with the - not too short - cable-release. Don't hold it straight but bend it with a soft "s"-curve.

??? um, newbie here - do not understand. can you elaborate a bit on that, Peter?

I have figured out, that the shutter needs a pretty long extending cable in the release. But how does the angle of the cable affect shakiness? Isn't it fired or not fired?

... and this only apply for pronters, right? lots of questions, again, sorry...

urs0polar
21-Mar-2010, 15:12
The only way to really know is to try something and see if it made a difference when you develop it.

I think the S-curve recommendation is so that you don't pull or push on the shutter accidentally because the cable would be taut if it were straight, and you would therefore transfer vibration down it's length and into the camera, totally negating the effect of having a cable release in the first place.

Just make sure there's some slack in the cable, and press slowly yet smoothly and firmly until the thing goes click. Like shooting a rifle... squeeze the trigger and let the shot surprise you.

mortensen
21-Mar-2010, 15:33
well, I used a newly (and wrongly) bought angled, stiff cable release.

Just changed it, problem solved - thanks, both of you.

urs0polar
22-Mar-2010, 12:21
oh, well then that makes sense. I'm a newbie too -- there are a bunch of us I think, so no worries. I learn something tangential at least from every one of these posts. Like how you can use scissors as a DIY lens wrench :)