PDA

View Full Version : Best Color Paper and Negative Film for Landscape

tgtaylor
16-Mar-2010, 20:18
High contrast, like Fuji Crystal Archive Super C, or medium contrast like Kodak Supra?

What about color negative film: High or medium contrast?

Daniel Stone
16-Mar-2010, 22:40
up to you. I'm a portra NC(160 and 400) guy. lower contrast film generally. Works for me, and MY vision.

waiting to try the ektar 100 though, although, from what I've been reading, its like a chrome in terms of exposure latitude, so quite narrow compared to the ~12 stops or so that Portra can record.

for proofsheets/prints, I've used both CA and SE. both are great papers, super high quality. to me, the SE leans more towards the warmer colors in terms of overall color balance, and the Fuji leans towards a cooler balance.

I'm currently printing onto SE, just cause I got a great deal on some off of flea-bay.

but most of my color work now is hybrid, unfortunately. But not having to spot optical prints after drying is SOOOO worth the extra time spent cleaning up an already-clean drum scan.

but its really up 2 you to decide what materials fit YOUR vision.

-Dan

Drew Wiley
17-Mar-2010, 11:09
I use Crystal Archive Type C and Porta 160VC. This combination seems a little cleaner
to me than the wider-latitude alternatives, at least if one is accustomed to the look of
chromes. If anything, it seems too low in contrast, so I'm looking forward to trying
Ektar.

Ivan J. Eberle
20-Mar-2010, 11:39
Yippee! Ektar 100 in 4x5 is here-- in my grubby lil paws! Badger got it in this week and I got it today. (Now to expose and offload the Portra 160VC in my lone Grafmatic.)

SamReeves
20-Mar-2010, 13:22
You can go with 160S (soft) or 160NC (no color) or…

My choice is Portra 160VC on Fujicolor paper.

anchored
20-Mar-2010, 15:09
There is no "best" color film or print paper for landscape photography in general.

Some landscapes shout out for low contrast films... some for high contrast films. In addition to contrast there's also color renditions inherent to consider. Some films do better for certain colors ranges than do others.

Some prints call for different papers... some images are best on glossy... some best on mat... some on pearl... some on canvas... some on textures... some on warm paper... some on cold paper... etc., etc. etc.

Now throw into the mix one's personal preferences... what one person thinks "best" another will think to be poor choices.

Although I shoot principally color trannies, the principal is the same for both. I carry four or more different films on most shoots and judge what film will best capture what I "see" in an image in a particular light (especially concerning scene colors, which different brands and types capture differently). When I print I also choose a paper that "best" suites a specific scene (again, I stock at least four different papers).

One really needs to test different films and print papers to fit their own preferences, and to fit their perception of what best fits their desired presentation. You can't rely on someone elses opinion to find out what is "best" for you.