PDA

View Full Version : Am I stupid for buying a new 4x5?

Jack Dahlgren
14-Mar-2010, 23:09
I was going along just fine with an old speed graphic.

But I dreamed of some movements - like tilt.

So I bought a used ebony RW45.

Am I stupid? Isn't film dead?

(BTW: for those considering the move from an old graphic - yes, it is worth it, but I miss my rangefinder.)

sultanofcognac
15-Mar-2010, 00:14
I sure hope there are not too many peals of laughter in response - I'm awaiting my new Shen Hao HZX45IIA (damned French douane!) :mad:

csant
15-Mar-2010, 01:38
Once film will be dead, you'll start coating your own plates or sheets. And I doubt it'll be dead all too soon.

Robert Hughes
15-Mar-2010, 07:28
Stock up on silver nitrate before the coming collapse! I heard about this on TV! When undead zombies shuffle through the streets with their undead digital cameras (the batteries ran out ages ago), you need to be prepared! Silver nitrate - and a baseball bat!! :D

MIke Sherck
15-Mar-2010, 07:35
The RW is a fine camera, you'll be using it until you've gotten old and senile and can't remember where the shutter button is any more! :) You know, you could have kept the Graphic. They make nice cameras for impromptu street and portrait photography and besides, you'll always miss your first love...

Mike

Frank Petronio
15-Mar-2010, 08:16
You might be stupid to buy a NEW Ebony but buying used makes a lot of sense. The nice thing about most view cameras is that their condition is readily apparent so your chances of getting screwed are a lot less than more complex motorized and electronic-based cameras. Now that digital is firmly established as the norm, quality large format film cameras will hold their value. Even with the recession not many people discounted a popular camera like yours.

Dan Fromm
15-Mar-2010, 08:20
Hmm. I'm still paying to have shutters scaled ...

We're all just damn fools, welcome to the club.

Gem Singer
15-Mar-2010, 08:26
The old speed graphic was not a view camera. It was designed to be a press camera.

The Ebony RW45 is an entry level to the wonderful (expensive) world of Ebony View Cameras.

In six months you will be trading up to a more deluxe (expensive) model Ebony.

Six months after that, you will be selling that deluxe Ebony and moving up to an 8x10, or larger format camera. More expense.

You're addicted now. You're one of us. We gotchya!

You'll run out of steam long before the disappearance of film. Besides, the more deluxe Ebony's are capable of handling a digital back.

Jack Dahlgren
15-Mar-2010, 09:12
In six months you will be trading up to a more deluxe (expensive) model Ebony.

Six months after that, you will be selling that deluxe Ebony and moving up to an 8x10, or larger format camera. More expense.

You're addicted now. You're one of us. We gotchya!

You'll run out of steam long before the disappearance of film. Besides, the more deluxe Ebony's are capable of handling a digital back.

Could be a slippery slope, but I slide pretty slowly. It took me 28 years to upgrade from the speed graphic so I should be content for a while - or so I tell myself.

ric_kb
15-Mar-2010, 09:26

you are not stupid... I made the same 'mistake' two years ago and I'm certainly not stupid, so how can you be? I re-entered photography by way of film and don't regret any of the money I've wasted these past two years. Making pictures sure beats making a living any day.

Money and time always slip away, just be certain that money gives you time doing what you wish.

Brian Ellis
15-Mar-2010, 10:10
You've already bought the camera so I don't understand the point of asking now whether you were stupid. What difference does it make at this point whether it was stupid or not?

Robert Hughes
15-Mar-2010, 10:15
But you're right. It was stupid! :p

Sal Santamaura
15-Mar-2010, 10:30
You might be stupid to buy a NEW Ebony but buying used makes a lot of sense...I disagree, and my position isn't specific to Ebony. If one has the financial resources, why not purchase new photographic equipment? Posters fret all the time about film and paper manufacturers discontinuing products. If no new cameras, lenses, etc. are sold, the manufacturers of those products will also teminate production. I'm in favor of continued choice and innovation.

Ron Marshall
15-Mar-2010, 10:43
I disagree, and my position isn't specific to Ebony. If one has the financial resources, why not purchase new photographic equipment? Posters fret all the time about film and paper manufacturers discontinuing products. If no new cameras, lenses, etc. are sold, the manufacturers of those products will also teminate production. I'm in favor of continued choice and innovation.

More importantly someone has to feed the used market so the rest of us can get those good deals.

Vick Vickery
15-Mar-2010, 10:46
I'd have to argue with those who told you "film is dead" if, for no other reason, Big Yellow just brought Ektar 100 out in 35mm, 120, 4x5, and 8 x 10! Don't think they would have done this if they didn't expect to sell it! :) Your timing with this post is funny, though...a friend made the "film is dead" statement to me a couple of days ago and I told him the same thing...he was shocked that a new film had been recently introduced.

Kevin Thomas
15-Mar-2010, 10:46
Well perhaps you can paraphase George Best "I spent a lot of money on photography. the rest I just squandered,"

Original quote: "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Marko
15-Mar-2010, 11:00
I was going along just fine with an old speed graphic.

But I dreamed of some movements - like tilt.

So I bought a used ebony RW45.

You bought something you wanted. I don't see anything stupid in buying things we dream about, as long as we can afford it. If it were a car, would you be asking the same question? :)

And besides, even when film finally does go away, Ebonies are really good for BetterLight backs, I hear. :D

Robert Hughes
15-Mar-2010, 11:25
Original quote: "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." I can relate to this quote. Money's been squandered so many ways - college education, house, marriage, IRA ... at least I still have the negatives. :D

Chris Strobel
15-Mar-2010, 11:50
Every time I hear 'film is dead' I just chalk it up to ignorance.

Jack Dahlgren
15-Mar-2010, 14:07
Every time I hear 'film is dead' I just chalk it up to ignorance.

I chalk it up to provocation or sometimes humor. The latter was my intent with that statement.

ki6mf
15-Mar-2010, 14:20
Definably not stupid and as a bonus you can throw around phrases like "Any fool can shoot digital". Yo do get extra points if the digital shooter has a matching camera strap and ball cap with his camera logo shouting out to the world I am a digital photographer steal my gear! Extra points if they are wearing a photography vest.

ic-racer
15-Mar-2010, 14:24
I recently bought a brand new Shen-Hao 8x10. So, you indeed may or may not be stupid but you have company :)

Lenny Eiger
15-Mar-2010, 16:46

Jack,

You're just down the road apiece. Why don't you come up for lunch and I'll show you why film ain't dead. There isn't a print on my wall that could be done with a digital camera.

When moving pictures came out they said Photography was dead. Lots of photos since then......

Lenny

Jack Dahlgren
15-Mar-2010, 17:41
Jack,

You're just down the road apiece. Why don't you come up for lunch and I'll show you why film ain't dead. There isn't a print on my wall that could be done with a digital camera.

When moving pictures came out they said Photography was dead. Lots of photos since then......

Lenny

One of these days I'd love to. I used to live up that way and this is a great time of year for photography.

emo supremo
15-Mar-2010, 18:20
Igor, you foooool! Everyone knows that you should have bought a 5x7 but are just too polite to kick you when you'rr down.
Congratulations and bountiful blessings upon your 'first'. You can never have another first so be at peace.
My entry two years ago was a camera listed as "good condition"...saggy bellows c multiple holes, cracked base, no focusing screen...but lot's of grief. You were wiser than me. Welcome!

Gordon Moat
18-Mar-2010, 11:18
Awesome! Hope you enjoy your new Ebony.

Just remember that a view camera can be very flexible to use many film and digital formats. At some point in the future, it might be a digital back on your Ebony. Your purchase might be a camera for a lifetime.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)