PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing happened with my 'quest' for a new scanner...

Michael Nelson
14-Mar-2010, 15:53
I own a 13 year old Umax PowerLook 3000 using PowerColor software. (Still works...). Although I've never been happy with the (lack of) sharpness

After much research & emails, I decided on a V750.

Researching software I downloaded (free demos) SilverFast and Vuescan. SilverFast wouldn't recognize my scanner (and repeated emails to support @ SilverFast went unanswered).

Vuescan loaded fine. Although steep leaning curve for me!

The point of this post:

My old Umax is NEW again...After extensive testing between the old PowerColor software and the Vuescan I now have much sharper scans and damn-near total control over my images!

It is 'night & day' difference with 'sharpness' using the Vuescan and the old PowerColor. I had no idea an $80 software could make that much difference! Geeze...

So, I'm no longer in a hurry to buy another scanner (for the moment...)

Just my observations. And a positive end-result for me...

(BTW, I am NOT associated with Vuescan)

Heroique
14-Mar-2010, 16:00
Congratulations on your resurrected scanner!

Be sure to share your new sharp scans with us.

And maybe you can celebrate your savings ... w/ your next lens!

Jeremy Moore
14-Mar-2010, 18:50
Hahaha, good to hear, Michael!

brian mcweeney
14-Mar-2010, 19:13
I went round and round with Silverfast support ... good to hear you got something that works for you.

Michael Nelson
18-Mar-2010, 20:09
Here is a sample side-by-side comparison of Vuescan vs my very old Powercolor. (it is not meant as a 'test' between the two software).

It was my surprise that new software could breath new life into my 13 year old Powerlook 3000.

FYI: Ilford HP5+ 'pushed allot' (135mm - sorry not LF)

Link to original image: http://michaelnelson.com/before_curtain/before_curtain_33.htm