PDA

View Full Version : New boxed Pentax digital spotmeter

Vincent Malaud
13-Mar-2010, 16:06
Hello

This is what I saw on the bay. Price is 679 USD. What is it? a refurbished version? or a scam? or... ?

Have you bought one of those?

Doremus Scudder
14-Mar-2010, 02:24
Vincent,

I'm not sure what you are asking. However, the Pentax spotmeter seems to be in short supply these days. None of the few big camera stores that I checked online seem to carry it. It is available from the Pentax online store, listed at USD 749 and Calumet UK lists it (GBP 599).

Maybe someone here can tell us what the deal is with the availability of the Pentax spotmeter new. Has it been discontinued? If not, why don't B&H and Calumet in the US have it in their catalogues?

There do seem to be a number of used ones on eBay for reasonable prices still.

FWIW, I own two Pentax spotmeters and love them.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Vincent Malaud
14-Mar-2010, 03:49
Thanks Doremus. You are right, my previous post is not very clear. I thought that the digital spotmeter from Pentax was discontinued years ago and now I see some new ones on the bay. I was wondering what was behind this?

Oren Grad
14-Mar-2010, 09:27
It's not discontinued:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging/filmcamera/accessory/index35_others.html#05

The question is what accounts for the spotty distribution outside Japan. But that seems consistent with Pentax policy of backing off from marketing of its high-end products outside of the home market in recent years. For example, distribution of the 645 and 67 systems stopped in the US several years ago, but they're still sold new in Japan (although production of the bodies and the 67-system lenses was stopped last year). Similarly, the Pentax LX remained current in Japan for several years after Pentax USA stopped importing it.

It will be interesting to see whether they try to move upscale in foreign markets again with the 645D.

Vincent Malaud
14-Mar-2010, 17:14
Ok... Thanks Oren for the info. Indeed not discontinued! Then I can buy one :)

Jan Pietrzak
14-Mar-2010, 20:06
Vincent,

I too have a Pentax spot and have liked it. But you can save your self some money. Get a Pocket Spot from Metered Light and save about $300.00 US$. The meter is small and compact and works very well. It is sold by them so you need to contact them for a sale.

Jan Pietrzak

Steve Barber
15-Mar-2010, 01:41
Vincent,

I too have a Pentax spot and have liked it. But you can save your self some money. Get a Pocket Spot from Metered Light and save about $300.00 US$. The meter is small and compact and works very well. It is sold by them so you need to contact them for a sale.

Jan Pietrzak

Good luck on getting anything from them. Sending them a message is like dropping it down a black hole.

Aahx
15-Mar-2010, 13:04
Good luck on getting anything from them. Sending them a message is like dropping it down a black hole.

I have to agree... I even paid for a pocket spot in December, but the one he was going to send out hand an imperfection. So he said it would be a couple weeks to get another out. I have not heard from him since. I have sent him a few emails (about once a month) and still no word. I hope it is not a health issue, but other than that I don't realy see any reasonable excuse for why he has not returned my emails. After all, I have allready paid him.

As for the Pentax digital.. I purchased one from Calumet last spring for $499.95, but back then they still listed it on there website. I see now that they no longer do.

BetterSense
15-Mar-2010, 13:43
That's an outrageous price. Makes me happy I made my own. (chazmiller.com/projects/lightmeters.html)

CG
16-Mar-2010, 11:29
Pentax is interesting. They mailed me a manual for the P67II and a meter prism, and just sent a modest bill. Honor system. That makes me feel awfully good about them.

Steve Hamley
18-Mar-2010, 07:16
Be careful and check out the meter - about 3 years ago I bought what was allegedly one of the last batch of Pentax digital spot meters from Robert White as none were available new stateside.

I found that it was not metering the marked spot, but a spot directly underneath the marked spot and was off by roughly the diameter of the spot. I called Robert White and they said they'd send it back to Pentax, which they said they did, and it returned the same way. I also asked them to check another meter or two, and they said they were off too.

I checked the meter with a bare light bulb and found that it reached maximum well before the marked spot reached the edge of the bulb. A comparison Sekonic and Pentax indicated correctly.

So there was apparently a batch that had a problem.

Cheers, Steve

Terence McDonagh
18-Mar-2010, 08:47
The Pocket Spot guys are indeed a bit spotty on replying to emails, etc. They basically make the meters as a hobby. I was on their list for a long, long time, but I did eventually get my meter. And I love it. I do this as a hobby as well, so to me, it was worth the wait. If I did photography as a business, the equation would be different.

But it IS an excellent, innovative meter, at a fair price.

I also have a Zone VI modified Pentax Digital Spot, which I like, but have never loved. While obviously an excellent meter, it's too bulky for my tastes.

Aahx
18-Mar-2010, 09:31
The Pocket Spot guys are indeed a bit spotty on replying to emails, etc. They basically make the meters as a hobby. I was on their list for a long, long time, but I did eventually get my meter. And I love it. I do this as a hobby as well, so to me, it was worth the wait. If I did photography as a business, the equation would be different.

But it IS an excellent, innovative meter, at a fair price.

I also have a Zone VI modified Pentax Digital Spot, which I like, but have never loved. While obviously an excellent meter, it's too bulky for my tastes.

Oh.. I still want the meter, I just am concerned I have not heard back from him since December. I was a year on the waiting list before he contacted me last December to let me know there was one available. I don't mind the wait, its the lack of communication when money is spent that I have a small issue with.

Terence McDonagh
18-Mar-2010, 15:02
True. I was on the wait list from probably almost two years ago the first time they decided to do another batch. When they decided the second time, my name was still on their list.

Admittedly, I don't think I paid long before actual shipping. That IS a bit different. But I will say I think they're honest folk, but distracted/slow, as it seems more of a hobby for them.

When it DOES show up, I think you'll be quite pleased with the product, though. As an engineer, it satisfies my desire for good, practical design. And as a klutz, it seems to satisfy my need for equipment hardened against all but nuclear attack.