PDA

View Full Version : You Have To See This Collection of Lens Catalogues!!

Richard K.
13-Mar-2010, 08:13
If this doen't make you drool, you should check with your endocrinologist!! Incredible collection of company catalogues:

http://www.cahanbooks.com/pdf/CAHANCOLL-PART3.pdf

That's just one .PDF file. To see the other two, just change the 3 in the URL to 2 or 1.
Unfortunately, they must all be bought together. I'm afraid to ask the price!! :eek: Maybe one of you is brave enough to find out for us? :rolleyes: There should be an e-mail link at Andrew's web site:

http://www.cahanbooks.com/cgi-bin/cahan/index.html

Steven Tribe
13-Mar-2010, 08:34
Fortunately, I can't download this adobe version!

Richard K.
13-Mar-2010, 08:41
Fortunately, I can't download this adobe version!

You can DL Acrobat reader for free or Foxit...:)

Richard K.
13-Mar-2010, 08:48
I have maybe 4 of the 232 items listed in this Part 3 of the listing. And then I realize that some items have multiple pamphlets/brochures with item #232 itself consisting of approximately 100 trade catalogues! Anybody have a spare $100 or so? :D :rolleyes:

seven
13-Mar-2010, 11:48
"This collection is being offered as a single unit for $1,500,000.00"

goamules
13-Mar-2010, 15:51
Stark raving mad. Like the guy selling a "collection" of 3 canon SLR bodies and a bunch of lenses on craigslist, quoting prices he paid....in 1979. A great buy for only $2500. Pshhht. For 1.5 Million I think I'd just buy a library. Or some classic artwork...or....

Paul Bujak
13-Mar-2010, 19:25
Since I live about 5 miles from the bookstore, maybe I'll have to trot over there someday and check it out. For 1.5 million, they should be there for the next day or two. :)

Jim C.
13-Mar-2010, 19:57
For 1.5 Million I think I'd just buy a library. Or some classic artwork...or....

.... just live off the interest.
:D
1.5 mill buys a lot of film too !

Brian Ellis
14-Mar-2010, 09:23
The asking price certainly seems high but maybe isn't totally ridiculous considering that the only realistic buyer for a collection like this is an individual or institution with a major collection of photo gear, which means they also have a lot of money. Apart from historical value, there's bound to be a ton of information in all this stuff that isn't available anywhere else.

Richard K.
14-Mar-2010, 09:53
Apart from historical value, there's bound to be a ton of information in all this stuff that isn't available anywhere else.

That's why I DLed the PDF file; to peruse at my leisure and see what might be worth trying to find and buy. Just that file is an interesting read! :)

BarryS
14-Mar-2010, 10:00
Google should buy the whole lot and digitize it so the photographic world can benefit from this treasure of information. What good does it do hoarded by some collector or only available to a select few researchers?

Sevo
14-Mar-2010, 10:37
The asking price certainly seems high but maybe isn't totally ridiculous considering that the only realistic buyer for a collection like this is an individual or institution with a major collection of photo gear, which means they also have a lot of money. Apart from historical value, there's bound to be a ton of information in all this stuff that isn't available anywhere else.

Well, one third are less than 300 lots, the majority smallish brochures of less than 50 pages, and even the bulk lots among it seem to be batches of about a hundred single page leaflets. It will amount to more than a thousand dollars per lot, or $10 per page. Libraries don't work that way, unless they find a sponsor with a fetish for that particular subject.

Sevo