PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify this notch code - please

HMG
11-Mar-2010, 21:38
Have about 20-25 sheets of film in a Fuji Provia RDPII box. But I don't know that it's really Provia. Notch code is 2 triangles 1/2 inch apart (center to center) in the upper right corner, sort of like this:

--------------------------------\/-------------\/-------|

The film has a tan emulsion side and a greenish gray base side.

One reference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notch_code) show this as TMax 100, but that doesn't seem to match what Kodak says. Another site (http://photondetector.com/tools_ref/filmdata/) shows something similar for APX100, but the AGFA pdf doesn't match what's in the website.

Any thoughts?

Barring a "known" answer, what would be the best way to develop an unexposed sheet so the edge marking is apparent? I don't know if it's E-6, C-41, or b/w film.

Thanks.

Heroique
11-Mar-2010, 22:46
If it’s TMax-100, it may be the "older version."

The current version has four triangular notches (over 1/2"), but the older version, I think, had two.

Simmons’ Using the View Camera shows two notches for this film.

Other b/w films have two notches; maybe go ahead and develop a test sheet that way.

Jack Dahlgren
11-Mar-2010, 22:54
Doesn't the box have the notch code on it somewhere? See if it matches.

HMG
12-Mar-2010, 08:32
Doesn't the box have the notch code on it somewhere? See if it matches.

The box does, but it doesn't match the film in the box.

brian mcweeney
12-Mar-2010, 08:42
I think it is old TMax, because I'm looking at some old b&w negatives I shot that have that exact notch code.

lenser
12-Mar-2010, 09:19
Go to wikipedia under notch codes and that seems to indicate that this is either Royal pan (400 speed) or current Tmax 100. It shows the codes, so you can decide which is correct.

Good luck.

Tim

Jack Dahlgren
12-Mar-2010, 10:03
Go to wikipedia under notch codes and that seems to indicate that this is either Royal pan (400 speed) or current Tmax 100. It shows the codes, so you can decide which is correct.

Good luck.

Tim

Current tmax is 4 notches. Old tmax was 2 spaced apart. Codes changed over time and I've not seen a comprehensive chart. My guess on this is old tmax though. New tmax is almost black on the back.

lenser
12-Mar-2010, 10:10
Jack,

What I was looking at showed the likely candidate to be Tmax 100 in the wikipedia set up. I thought that was for current, but thanks for the revision.

HMG
12-Mar-2010, 10:25
I'll try an unexposed sheet in hc-110 tonight and see what comes out.

Jack Dahlgren
12-Mar-2010, 11:25
I'll try an unexposed sheet in hc-110 tonight and see what comes out.

I'd expose a sheet at 100 speed and see what comes out. That way you at least get some useful information out of it.

Paul Kierstead
12-Mar-2010, 11:29
Haven't tried it, but I think even if it is C-41 or E-6, a B&W development will give you the edge markings.

Jack Dahlgren
12-Mar-2010, 11:42
Some film doesn't have edge markings.