David Luttmann
10-Mar-2010, 16:30
Just heard that Fuji is discontinuing the following:

Pro 160S - All formats
Pro 160C - All formats
800Z - All formats
T64 - All formats
Neopan 400 - 120

This means no more sheet film for C41 from Fuji to the best of my knowledge. Sad day as I love 160S in 4x5!

David Luttmann
10-Mar-2010, 17:03
I heard the u.s was going to be the first country with universal health care.

Do you have this in writing? If not, why bother posting it here?

Came from Scott Shepard of Inside Analog Photography. He had spoken with Fuji reps and was finally able to confirm what a lot of us heard as rumours.

Henry Ambrose
10-Mar-2010, 17:07
Well that sucks.

Greg Blank
10-Mar-2010, 17:16
Seeing is believing. That makes (0) Business sense. Unless Fuji and Kodak are taking separate paths to gain more of specific type of film sales and trim inventory.

Where is the link to that info? Personally I do not appreciate or like unsubstainated rumors.

Came from Scott Shepard of Inside Analog Photography. He had spoken with Fuji reps and was finally able to confirm what a lot of us heard as rumours.

David Luttmann
10-Mar-2010, 17:17
Seeing is believing. That makes (0) Business sense. Unless Fuji and Kodak are taking separate paths to gain more of specific type of film sales and trim inventory.

Where is the link to that info? Personally I do not appreciate or like unsubstainated rumors.

I didn't post unsubstantiated rumors....so you don't need to appreciate it if you don't like. Wow, I pass on information and people here get all pissy! Geez....find out for yourself in a while when you can't order your film then!

Here's my post quoting Scott's findings:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/73536-interesting-news-about-fujicolor-pro-14.html

r.e.
10-Mar-2010, 18:58
Wow, I pass on information and people here get all pissy!

Sometimes people react to things that they don't want to hear by lashing out :)

Some of this - Neopan 400, T64 and a more restricted discontinuance of Pro 160 - has already been reported on this forum: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=59335&highlight=fuji

Dirk Rösler
10-Mar-2010, 19:06
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=566537&postcount=35

r.e.
10-Mar-2010, 19:13
Of these discontinuances, the only one that surprises me is Neopan 400 for 120.

The reason that the Neopan surprises me is that the rest is a consolidation to 400 film, which surely can't be a big surprise.

I have a serious freezer, and the resources to fill it, but none of this has me running for my credit card.

Songyun
10-Mar-2010, 19:26
so QL is discontinued, this time for sure?

r.e.
10-Mar-2010, 19:34

Just as I have discovered that there is life after Readyloads, you may discover that there is life after Quickloads :)

Dirk Rösler
10-Mar-2010, 20:46

Sure - sort of. Until you see it's gone for good.

I have trouble to understand the reason for this unclear (non-existing?) communication towards their customers, most of them loyal over many years.

Sevo
11-Mar-2010, 00:39
Quickload and 800Z have been discontinued-and-revived a few times - it would not be surprising at all to see them cancelled for good.

As to the 160xC all formats discontinuation, bear in mind that that is a statement by the US local representatives - which do not decide what is being made, but which of the available products they distribute. In a similar vein Fuji UK seem to have discontinued their import and distribution of Astia in all formats. Local reps jumping off a particular film is of course critical as well, as it will create a decline in worldwide sales that might finally lead to a discontinuation at the factory - but at that point, it is still possible (and sometimes succesful) to demand they bring it back.

Sevo

David Luttmann
11-Mar-2010, 06:33
Quickload and 800Z have been discontinued-and-revived a few times - it would not be surprising at all to see them cancelled for good.

As to the 160xC all formats discontinuation, bear in mind that that is a statement by the US local representatives - which do not decide what is being made, but which of the available products they distribute. In a similar vein Fuji UK seem to have discontinued their import and distribution of Astia in all formats. Local reps jumping off a particular film is of course critical as well, as it will create a decline in worldwide sales that might finally lead to a discontinuation at the factory - but at that point, it is still possible (and sometimes succesful) to demand they bring it back.

Sevo

No. Sorry. Fuji is not going to produce the 160 in an format....anywhere. This has nothing to do with distribution....is has to do with production.

Antonio Corcuera
11-Mar-2010, 07:14
This is a hard blow. I really would have expected Kodak to drop color neg before Fuji.

mikebarger
11-Mar-2010, 07:16
Guess Fuji was doing a better job masking the size of it's customer base.

Mike

BetterSense
11-Mar-2010, 07:47
Guess Fuji was doing a better job masking the size of it's customer base.

Apparently! I still can't believe that they will now have NO 400 speed film 120. I LOVED Neopan 400, too.

I really would have expected Kodak to drop color neg before Fuji.

I would expect the opposite. With Kodak discontinuing kodachrome, bringing out Ektar 100 across all formats, and Fuji's historically strong E-6 line of films, I'm bracing myself for further consolidation of Kodak E-6 films, while Fuji's discontinuation of CN films doesn't surprise me.

BetterSense
11-Mar-2010, 08:03
Gunn continued: “In the case of Neopan 400 120 our hand has been forced by environmental concerns over one of the raw materials used in its production.”

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/fujifilm_retires_three_films/

Just another reason for me to loathe the neo-environmentalism zeal that is invading everything good in the world.

mcfactor
11-Mar-2010, 09:42
Wait, so once fuji stops making C-41 in sheet film, kodak will be the only company making C-41. that means we would be one step away from no C-41 sheet film at all. That is very scary. I really cant believe that fuji would discontinue all of these films. That is terrible!

mcfactor
11-Mar-2010, 09:53
Sorry, i just read the link that bettersense gave to fuji's press release and they say they will keep fuji 160s in sheet film and rebrand it as 160NS:

"The remaining films in the Pro 160S range are to be re-branded as Pro 160NS, to fall in line with a global name change. The film itself remains unaltered.

In further product development news, from early Summer 2010 Fujifilm’s ranges of 5"x4” and 10"x8” films will be packed as 20 sheet boxes instead of the current 10 sheet packs."

So, they will not be getting rid of sheet film, just consolidating a little. I can live with this.

Lenny Eiger
11-Mar-2010, 09:58
It also means that there is no tungsten film available on the market, in chrome or neg. My lights for shooting fine art and reproducing it (which I do occasionally) are now useless....

Lenny

neil poulsen
11-Mar-2010, 10:11
I've been reading a lot of these threads. It's interesting to speculate. But it seems to me that a lot of it is based on "he said/she said" information. My interest is in what Fuji discloses on their U.S. website.

With that said, I'm most interested in what happens with 160S sheets. I hope it survives. At least for black and white, there are reasonable alternatives.

SamReeves
11-Mar-2010, 10:12
Wait, so once fuji stops making C-41 in sheet film, kodak will be the only company making C-41. that means we would be one step away from no C-41 sheet film at all. That is very scary. I really cant believe that fuji would discontinue all of these films. That is terrible!

It will be coming. I think all we'll have left for 4x5 are the chromes.

Larry Gebhardt
11-Mar-2010, 10:20

Looks like the Pro 160S will be renamed Pro160NS. And sheets of 4x5 and 8x10 will now come in boxes of 20 instead of 10.

Sevo
11-Mar-2010, 11:31
It also means that there is no tungsten film available on the market, in chrome or neg. My lights for shooting fine art and reproducing it (which I do occasionally) are now useless....

Filters do exist. In any case, the decline of tungsten film has been going on for decades - if any, I might be sad because the end of tungsten films means the end of the most old-fashioned slide films still in existence, in colour rendition and granularity. But emotional qualities aside, I never touched tungsten film (of either brand ) any more after Provia, Astia and E100G/GX hit the market - any of them has so much better long time exposure behaviour than the aging last surviving tungsten films that they usually even work out as faster with filters included...

Paul Kierstead
11-Mar-2010, 11:37
Doom! Gloom!

Looks like the Pro 160S will be renamed Pro160NS. And sheets of 4x5 and 8x10 will now come in boxes of 20 instead of 10.

Oh. Well, then, good show.

IanMazursky
11-Mar-2010, 11:48

Thats better news, i love 160s and a name change is better then a discontinued product.
Thanks for posting the info Larry!!

Ivan J. Eberle
11-Mar-2010, 12:43
"The news of my demise is greatly exaggerated"-- I think Mark Twain said that first.

Today it's done to drive traffic to somebody's website. Or -- just maybe-- to get everybody to horde a bunch of film, buying it up and putting it in their freezer, instead of sitting in a warehouse cooler with the expiration date clock ticking away.

Pro 160S may be renamed, they may be dumping QLs, but it's the probably the very last Fuji emulsion that would go away entirely.

Eric Leppanen
11-Mar-2010, 13:19
Wasn't Pro 160NS always the product name for Pro 160S in the Japanese market? Isn't Fuji therefore consolidating their 160NS/160S packaging into a single worldwide product?

Dirk, does this make sense?

Bob Salomon
11-Mar-2010, 14:17

Lenny

Then it is a great time to invest in some Rosco lighting gels. They make gels that covert anything to any color temperture you may need. Commonly used on location to balance artificial light to various flourescents to daylight window light (see the newsroom scenes in All The President's Men) for instance.

Kirk Keyes
11-Mar-2010, 14:44
Then it is a great time to invest in some Rosco lighting gels.

And gels are a LOT cheaper than buying new lights!

Brian Ellis
11-Mar-2010, 15:01
I've never used Fuji films so this has no effect on me but wasn't Fuji the company that vowed to be the last film company standing or something like that?

Ron Marshall
11-Mar-2010, 15:09
I've never used Fuji films so this has no effect on me but wasn't Fuji the company that vowed to be the last film company standing or something like that?

Companies are not always honest!

Dirk Rösler
11-Mar-2010, 15:14
Wasn't Pro 160NS always the product name for Pro 160S in the Japanese market? Isn't Fuji therefore consolidating their 160NS/160S packaging into a single worldwide product?

Dirk, does this make sense?

Yes, that's also my understanding.

Fujifilm Professional has announced the withdrawal of three of its films. The affected products are Neopan 400 120, Superia Reala 35mm, and Pro 160S 35mm.

The remaining films in the Pro 160S range are to be re-branded as Pro 160NS, to fall in line with a global name change. The film itself remains unaltered.

Ross Gunn, Fujifilm UK: "In the case of Neopan 400 120 our hand has been forced by environmental concerns over one of the raw materials used in its production."

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Fujifilm-withdraw-Neopan-400-120-Superia-Reala-35mm-and-Pro-160S-35mm-13173

Songyun
11-Mar-2010, 15:50
Yes, that's also my understanding.

Fujifilm Professional has announced the withdrawal of three of its films. The affected products are Neopan 400 120, Superia Reala 35mm, and Pro 160S 35mm.

The remaining films in the Pro 160S range are to be re-branded as Pro 160NS, to fall in line with a global name change. The film itself remains unaltered.

Ross Gunn, Fujifilm UK: "In the case of Neopan 400 120 our hand has been forced by environmental concerns over one of the raw materials used in its production."

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Fujifilm-withdraw-Neopan-400-120-Superia-Reala-35mm-and-Pro-160S-35mm-13173

Does that mean they might come up with a new 400iso b&w film? like RVP II?

tgtaylor
11-Mar-2010, 16:03
Well, I'm glad to hear that they will be keeping 160C and 160S. The 20 sheet boxes sound good too.

Sal Santamaura
11-Mar-2010, 16:13
Does that mean they might come up with a new 400iso b&w film? like RVP II?I can say, beyond the shadow of a doubt, the answer to your question is yes. Fuji might. :)

Any other questions? ;)

Dirk Rösler
11-Mar-2010, 19:18
Strictly in the rumour category...

http://www.aphog.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13026

"Was noch nicht so ?ffentlich ist: Fuji wird (wohl noch in 2010) einen Nachfolger pr?sentieren."

Translation:
What it is not official yet: Fuji will (probably still in 2010) present a successor.

A friend of mine emailed Mr. Schroeder and asked about the source, and he said this statement is from Fuji in Germany.

Sevo
12-Mar-2010, 02:41
What it is not official yet: Fuji will (probably still in 2010) present a successor.

If the Fuji statement is right about 120 being cancelled due to environmental concerns, chances are that they'll reintroduce it with a 135-alike production. Not unlike the TXP/new TX transition of Kodak - which was not exactly celebrated by the majority of former TXP users...

Sevo

mikebarger
12-Mar-2010, 03:23
But was by TX users.

Dirk Rösler
12-Mar-2010, 05:34
According to an individual who reportedly got in contact with Fujifilm JP, they claim the material they can no longer use is called PFOS and apparently illegal for manufacture use.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/neopan/discuss/72157623596550024/#comment72157623478226823

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfluorooctanesulfonic_acid

Blumine
12-Mar-2010, 05:44
According to an individual who reportedly got in contact with Fujifilm JP, they claim the material they can no longer use is called PFOS and apparently illegal for manufacture use.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/neopan/discuss/72157623596550024/#comment72157623478226823

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfluorooctanesulfonic_acid

Perfluorooctanesulfonic acid is bad news stuff, you really want to avoid it. Was used heavily in the semiconductor industry until about 10 years ago, but they have mostly phased it out.

Currently the only China is producing the stuff. If it was used in Neopan, I can understand why they discontinued it.

Blumine

BetterSense
12-Mar-2010, 07:50
The question is why it's used in the manufacture of the 120 film, and not the 35mm film.

Perhaps the 35mm film is also not long for this world?

Sevo
12-Mar-2010, 10:04
It is a extremely powerful surfactant that once was a common additive to glues for plastics like PTFE, HDPE or nylon which normally cannot be glued. Is the 400 film perhaps on a PET base?

Oren Grad
12-Mar-2010, 10:41
Is the 400 film perhaps on a PET base?

The Neopan 400 data sheet says that it's on the usual cellulose triacetate base.

neil poulsen
12-Mar-2010, 12:12

Lenny

It's true, filters exist to use tungsten lights with daylight film. But, is it really the same? I really like using tungsten film with tungsten lights. For example, using flash with daylight film gives a faint cooling effect to the image that I didn't care much for.

Songyun
12-Mar-2010, 12:16
Translation:

A friend of mine emailed Mr. Schroeder and asked about the source, and he said this statement is from Fuji in Germany.[/I]

If they present a successor, will it also be available in sheets? :D :D Is that too much to ask for?:D

Greg Blank
12-Mar-2010, 16:44
I think better.

Use a CC filter on the lens opposed in cast you want to remove. They make 5cc filters. If you use filters you will probably gain tighter control, plus you can use ANY daylight filter of your preference and any lights. I would say EPP or is it EPN :) In a pinch E100G.

It's true, filters exist to use tungsten lights with daylight film. But, is it really the same? I really like using tungsten film with tungsten lights. For example, using flash with daylight film gives a faint cooling effect to the image that I didn't care much for.