PDA

View Full Version : Ebony Mirrors

Lenny Eiger
10-Mar-2010, 11:21
The coolest thing on an Ebony, IMO, is the mirror-level thing. What a great tool, an obvious help. I'm thinking of adding them to my other camera - a Canham 8x10.

Does anyone know where to get these? Are they available?

Lenny

Michael Alpert
10-Mar-2010, 11:31
I don't think Ebony sells the mirrored-level unit apart from their cameras. In a world where everyone steals everything, I agree with their business practices. I would only add that from my point of view "the coolest thing" about an Ebony camera is the whole package.

Lenny Eiger
10-Mar-2010, 11:44
I don't think Ebony sells the mirrored-level unit apart from their cameras. In a world where everyone steals everything, I agree with their business practices. I would only add that from my point of view "the coolest thing" about an Ebony camera is the whole package.

It is an awesome camera.

Keith Pitman
10-Mar-2010, 11:51
I tried to buy one a few years ago and was told by the US rep (Ian?) that they do not sell separately. I wonder whether you could find a really small woman's compact and adapt it. Probably would not be titanium, though!

Jack Dahlgren
10-Mar-2010, 11:59
Can someone post a picture of one?

Nathan Potter
10-Mar-2010, 12:02
Ya. What are we talking about here? Sounds interesting.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Eric Leppanen
10-Mar-2010, 12:10
Can someone post a picture of one?Here is the mirror on an SV810U I used to own...

Brian Ellis
10-Mar-2010, 12:18
Ya. What are we talking about here? Sounds interesting.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

The mirror is just a flip-up thingy on top of the rear housing that allows you to actually see the level that's on top of the rear housing with the camera on a tripod, unlike some other cameras (e.g. Linhof Technikas) that have a flat level on top of the rear housing that can't be seen with the camera on a tripod around eye level and so are essentially useless. The mirror/level was the only thing that was really special and nice about the two Ebonys I owned (a 45Te and a 45Ti). They were otherwise very unexceptional cameras that cost quite a lot of money.

Robert Hughes
10-Mar-2010, 12:29
If they'd combine that with a cigarette lighter and USB port I might be interested.
Besides, it's not even ebony, it's just metal. Sheesh...

Michael Alpert
10-Mar-2010, 12:47
The mirror is just a flip-up thingy on top of the rear housing that allows you to actually see the level that's on top of the rear housing with the camera on a tripod, unlike some other cameras (e.g. Linhof Technikas) that have a flat level on top of the rear housing that can't be seen with the camera on a tripod around eye level and so are essentially useless. The mirror/level was the only thing that was really special and nice about the two Ebonys I owned (a 45Te and a 45Ti). They were otherwise very unexceptional cameras that cost quite a lot of money.
Brian,

Just about every time an Ebony camera is discussed here, you pipe in with the same song and dance. As I understand it, at least one of your Ebony cameras was purchased used and perhaps in slightly damaged condition. You had these cameras for only a short period of time. Also, you have said a number of times that you much prefer Linhof all-metal rigs. I also think that those Linhof cameras are terrific and beautiful, but to use them as a measure to judge wooden field cameras is idiotic. The two are different species, with distinct assets and liabilities. Everyone here has heard your tune. Enough!

David de Gruyl
10-Mar-2010, 12:58
Here is the mirror on an SV810U I used to own...

Looks like a 1940's compact. (not that I am an expert). It is just a flip up box with a mirror in it? It sounds wonderfully useful, but not very hard to craft.

Jack Dahlgren
10-Mar-2010, 13:43
I guess the point is that it is simple and useful, not that it is a marvel of sophisticated technology. I kind of like it, but I tend to level by eye...

David Swinnard
10-Mar-2010, 14:39
Seems like a nice solution. My camera doesn't have this particular but does have a large flat area that takes the don't-forget-me-behind orange torpedo level I keep in the bag. Works well in all three axes, just like the bubble level on top that I can seldom see easily.

Solutions that work, and are simple are nice to have.

Brian Ellis
10-Mar-2010, 20:01
The Ti was purchased used from MidWest Camera Exchange. It appeared to be in mint condition, there was no damage to it that I could see. The Te was purchased new. I used the Ti for a very short time. I don't remember exactly how long I used the Te but it was at least a year, maybe two.

I realize you like your 5x7 Ebony camera very much and that this isn't the first time you've taken issue with someone who thinks less of Ebony cameras than you do. But try to understand that different people have different opinions and we're all free to express those opinions here, even when they're different than yours.

Mark Woods
10-Mar-2010, 20:39
I like the little touch with the flip up reflector.

Bill_1856
10-Mar-2010, 21:13
It seems like an unnecessarily complicated thing. With the Linhof Technika one just slides the bubble level into the accessory shoe -- works fine.

Lenny Eiger
10-Mar-2010, 21:42
Geez, everyone's complaining. It's too expensive, it ain't so great. Whatever. I thought the mirrored level was a cool trick and wanted to see if someone knew of a source. When you often set the camera to the same viewing height as your normal vision, you can't see a normal level on the back unless you bring along a ladder to get up over the camera. I'm sure everyone can use a level, a torpedo level, their iPhone or whatever. This was nice because the mirrors allowed you to easily see it from the back without getting on your tip-toes. It doesn't warrant spending an extra $2K for a camera, but it is a very nice touch.

I have had a lot of different cameras in my time and others can possibly equal it, but none have been better than the Ebony SV45T. They have obviously gone the extra mile with their work. The wood is excellent and stiff, workmanship is superb, it folds nice, feels great in your hand and the knobs, made of titanium, work like butter.

I also like Keith Canham's work, I have his lightweight 8x10, and his workmanship is also excellent. I like working with a camera that is built so well that its a work of art in of itself and inspiring to use. I like supporting master craftsmen when I can - I know there are others and I celebrate them as well. There are so few left and they deserve our support. I think, if nothing else, it's important to give them their due.

Lenny