PDA

View Full Version : Please help me to examine what lens this is?

alon96
10-Mar-2010, 04:20
I have purchased strange lens in EBAY, I thought it is possibly the PETZVAL structure lens.But I do not look up any about its material.

Steven Tribe
10-Mar-2010, 05:31
Nothing strange about this! Primus is a Beck trade name which was used when items were sold by retailers - in this case, Phillips & Co. This is probably F.G.Phillips of various E.C. addresses in London. He is noted as an agent for Voigtländer and Rodenstock at various times (VM). Is the black lacquer original? The likely date/design looks like the late plain brass era. There are 2 Beck lenses which match - the autograph portrait from 1889 and the Portrait lens from around 1906 (this would match the black lacquer quite well). Both of these are petzvals. It doesn't look like an extra rapid RR which is the only other lens which is described as a portrait lens from Beck.

Steven Tribe
10-Mar-2010, 05:56
I found the lens on "completed listings" - where it says it didn't meet the minumum price! Well done! The sellers estimate of F.4 matches with the range of F3 - F6 given for the late portrait petzval made by Beck. The trademark Primus does appear elsewhere in optics without connection to Beck - but I think my reasoning is the most plausible.

alon96
10-Mar-2010, 08:09
I found the lens on "completed listings" - where it says it didn't meet the minumum price! Well done! The sellers estimate of F.4 matches with the range of F3 - F6 given for the late portrait petzval made by Beck. The trademark Primus does appear elsewhere in optics without connection to Beck - but I think my reasoning is the most plausible.

Hello! Steven Tribe ,
I used 380US to buy it in private, felt spent the money not preferential benefit.The worry is not a good price.
Moreover your introduction is extremely good.Let me know him initially.
Thanks! Thanks! ;)