PDA

View Full Version : "simple" forum skin glitches

CarstenW
10-Mar-2010, 03:24
I have switched to the simple skin, and prefer it to the heavier normal skin, not least because I sometimes read via my iPhone, but there are a few glitches. Specifically, some images are not found:

The "View Post" image generated when someone is quoted is not found:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/simple/buttons/viewpost.gif

The "Multi-Quote this Message" image is not found:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/simple/buttons/multiquote_off.gif

The Trashcan image used in the thread listings is not found:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/simple/misc/trashcan_small.gif

It would be great to have these broken links fixed.

Thanks!

P.S. I believe that this forum software has the possibility of running a skin optimized for mobile phones like the iPhone. For example, the l-camera-forum.com forum is very similar, but has this skin. Would it be possible to add this here?

csant
10-Mar-2010, 10:41
This was reported ages ago (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=47833), but nobody cared back then either. Maybe there is just very few of us that use the simple skin…

CarstenW
10-Mar-2010, 10:55
I guess few people change this setting, but that doesn't really seem like a good reason not to fix it. I hope someone comes along and has pity with us :)

Kirk Gittings
10-Mar-2010, 11:00
This was reported ages ago (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=47833), but nobody cared back then either. Maybe there is just very few of us that use the simple skin…

This is the kind of comment that makes moderating this forum the highlight of my day. The only official way to report a problem and insure that the right moderators see it is by sending an email to the all the moderators via the "contact us" tab at the bottom right of the page. That way both the day to day sheep herders like myself and our software gurus will see it. Right now they are immersed in trying to figure out the slow posts problem. I will bring this it to their attention.

CarstenW
10-Mar-2010, 11:36
Thanks Kirk, sorry if it came across harsh.

csant
10-Mar-2010, 13:27
This is the kind of comment that makes moderating this forum the highlight of my day. The only official way to report a problem and insure that the right moderators see it is by sending an email to the all the moderators via the "contact us" tab at the bottom right of the page.

Sorry Kirk if it came across harsh. I assumed "Questions and answers about the LF Photography Home Page and Forum" in the "Feedback" forum encompassed… feedback about the LF forum. I have sent an e-mail (as a reply to the forum notifications - probably that was the wrong channel, too) about another minor thing, too, that went unanswered - so I thought you guys had enough on your plate moderating to forum to be interested in feedback. I have to admit I had not noticed the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page - again, my apologies.

P.S. I have re-submitted that other glitch through the proper feedback now.

Ginette
11-Mar-2010, 18:55
These ones can be used to solve the broken images.
/forum/simple/buttons/multiquote_off.gif
/forum/simple/buttons/multiquote_on.gif
/forum/simple/misc/trashcan_small.gif
/forum/simple/buttons/viewpost.gif

Tom Westbrook
13-Mar-2010, 07:16
OK, I've loaded Ginette's replacement gifs (Thanks!) into the simple style. Let us know if it isn't working for you.

I'll check to see if there is a mobile phone compatible style available for vBulletin. I don't have the time to create these myself, though. The 'simple' skin was off the shelf and was missing these gifs when I installed it.

csant
13-Mar-2010, 15:04
Thank you for the fixes!

CarstenW
14-Mar-2010, 15:54
Looks great, thanks!

I am not sure if this is the best place to post it (in fact, I am pretty sure it is not), but since you are here, Tom, reading this thread:

Re: the slow posting: I have noticed since a short while that posts take forever to go through. Kirk pointed out above that the developers here are busy looking at that.

I just noticed, by accidentally pushing the "post quick reply" button twice, that this bypasses the slow posting, and goes directly to a "posting too quickly twice" warning, after which I can immediately go back and see my reply. In other words, by posting a reply, pressing "post quick reply" twice in quick succession, then pressing the browser back button, I am able to do quick posts.

This makes me wonder if the implementation of the countdown for double-posting is somehow involved/responsible in the slow posts?

Edit: I verified that the slow posting workaround works on this very post: it does.

Tom Westbrook
14-Mar-2010, 18:40
Thanks for the tip. We noticed that the issue is that while the post is added quickly, the refresh is taking forever. I'd guess clicking the button twice short-circuits that .

We'll keep looking into it, but this sounds like a good workaround.

Lachlan 717
15-Mar-2010, 00:22
Can anyone let me know how to override the iPhone/mobile view and get the Classic view back?

I've searched everywhere I can, but can't work out how to do this (I much prefer the original screen, even on my iPhone).

Thanks in advance.

Tom Westbrook
15-Mar-2010, 03:38
I turned off auto-detection for iPod/phone. You can select the skin manually if you want to use it. I saw an iphone specific skin on the vbulletin site, so when I get some time this week I'll put it in for a trial.

rdenney
15-Mar-2010, 08:38
Carsten,

The posts are happening at normal speed (quickly). What's slow is the confirmation screen and the return to the thread.

When I hit the button to post, I wait less than five second and hit the back button back to whatever search I was looking at. My post is always there.

Rick "finding that counters and ads are usually the culprits for slow internet responses" Denney