PDA

View Full Version : Cheap darkroom

Karmelo Martin
9-Mar-2010, 16:20
Hi all,

I'm starting in the LF world (4x5 BW) and I've been scaning some test shots for a while to get to know better the development.

Well, the thing is I'd like to start making some wet prints, but the cost of the 4x5 enlargers is horrendous, so I'm wondering if I should start making some contact prints first, but I have some doubts...

a) Which is the minimum material I should buy? I guess a contact printing frame, some RC paper (Does it have to be any specific paper?), some kind of light source (Which light source should be OK?), some trays and a bit of Dektol... Right?
b) Is really a good idea to make 4x5 contact prints? I guess the size will be tiny :-(

Thanks and sorry for the very basic question,
Kar

BetterSense
9-Mar-2010, 16:47
4x5 contact prints are small, but that makes them easy to store and catalog. Plus, you can get a pretty decent scan out of a 4x5 contact print with any flatbed scanner.

You don't need a contact printing frame, really. Just a piece of glass.

I would buy some 5x7, glossy RC variable-contrast paper. Dektol is all I use. Trays are good. You can use a lightbulb for a light source. At my old apartment I used to use the regular bathroom lightswitch to expose my contact prints.

jp
10-Mar-2010, 09:40
4x5 enlargers are commonly purchased used. You'll pay as much for shipping as for the enlarger. If you buy used, make sure it's complete and ready to use.

Slightly more expensive is an Epson v700 scanner.

Any RC paper will work to get started. I prefer variable contrast so you don't need to stock so many papers. (You'll need a set of VC filters, again cheap used).
I like Foma 311 and Ilford Multigrade Warmtone for glossy paper choices. There are really a huge amount of subjective choices for paper, much like in the inkjet world.

ethics_gradient
10-Mar-2010, 14:09
4x5 enlargers are commonly purchased used. You'll pay as much for shipping as for the enlarger. If you buy used, make sure it's complete and ready to use.

Seconding this. Try your local online classifieds (here in the US, we use Craigslist), or search eBay by distance from your location (many people won't ship an enlarger, and sell them as "local pick-up only"). You might also try putting out a wanted ad, as it seems like a lot of photographers who used to use them just store them in the garage/attic and haven't gotten around to getting rid of them. If you're lucky/patient you can get a real bargain, my Omega Pro-Lab 4x5 enlarger was going to cost me $50, but the lady e-mailed me out of the blue after a week or so (I got caught up with work and hadn't replied to her last e-mail) and said I could just have it for free if I picked it up. Still have a couple more accessories to get before it's fully operational, but all told I doubt it'll run me over $100.

Karmelo Martin
12-Mar-2010, 06:49
Thanks for all your comments,

I'll give it a try
Kar