PDA

View Full Version : Negative stains

Ramiro Elena
9-Mar-2010, 07:04
It's the first time it's happened to me but I think it is a common issue in the realm of negative stains. I can't recall what the origin is though.
Do you recognize it?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2760/4419262115_873a3368d2_o.jpg
Plus-x
D-76 (1:1) at 20º
Tetenal Superfix
Ilford wash Aid (I normally use Kodak's Hypo Clear)
Developed in tray.
The whole 6 negatives have the same stains in different degrees.
It might have been the last of the D-76 bottle.

Daniel Stone
9-Mar-2010, 07:32
looks like undissolved chemistry to me.

but a good wash should have taken care of that.

interesting.... that's why I switched from D76 to HC-110, the syrup's easier to work with.

try straining d76(or any powdered dev) through a coffee filter before using, or decanting into another clean bottle.

-Dan

Ramiro Elena
10-Mar-2010, 08:25
Thanks Daniel, I tried again the whole batch and had no problems. This time I really used the very last of the developer. So who knows...

Thanks for the reply anyway!

Robert Hughes
10-Mar-2010, 08:31
It's just Eczema... I've had those spots on my hand for years ... ever since I started developing my own film ... :eek:

jp
10-Mar-2010, 09:30
Between the spots and the wipe looking streaking on the middle and ring finger, I'm inclined to think it's water spots. Looks kinda like you're shooting through a pane of water sprayed glass. It could be on the negative, it could be on your scanner glass?

When you photoflo the negative, don't reuse the dilute photoflo mix. Use either distilled water or alcohol for the mix.

Ramiro Elena
11-Mar-2010, 09:58
Thanks Dann, I don't use stop bath just water. I'll re-wash today and see if it has a simple solution. I recall a photographer friend having a stain problem that was caused by water quality. Water here is incredibly hard.
So rewash and photo-flo with distilled or drinking water for now.

ic-racer
11-Mar-2010, 12:54
Do you ever freeze/thaw your film in opened packets?

Ramiro Elena
11-Mar-2010, 16:39
This film has seen all scenarios. First of all, it is super expired. I had it in the refrigerator all the time until I closed my studio and now I keep it in a drawer.
Out of the 25 sheet box, it only happened with this batch so it has to be chemical related.
I was photo-floing some Polaroid 55 just now and I noticed some bubbles sticking to the film and not running down like they usually do. Not saying this could be it but it made me think.
I haven't done lab stuff in a long time so I could be I little rusty.

IanG
13-Mar-2010, 11:58
Maybe that's the first batch some mould started to attack.

The stains are remarkably similar to what I've seen on some old glass plates that came in some plate holders I've bought.

Ian

bob carnie
13-Mar-2010, 12:13
I agree

Between the spots and the wipe looking streaking on the middle and ring finger, I'm inclined to think it's water spots. Looks kinda like you're shooting through a pane of water sprayed glass. It could be on the negative, it could be on your scanner glass?

When you photoflo the negative, don't reuse the dilute photoflo mix. Use either distilled water or alcohol for the mix.

Ken Lee
13-Mar-2010, 17:30
How do you know it's a stain ?

Have you tried cleaning a small part of the film with some alcohol or film cleaner ?

Have you tried washing one piece in water, and letting it dry again ?

Greg Blank
13-Mar-2010, 18:51
Hola Elena!

Mejor conjetura es una emulsión húmeda o soporte de película húmeda. Al descongelar la película asegurarse de que sus completamente descongelado .... más de 24 horas:)

or your super fix has particulate.

Gregorio.

It's the first time it's happened to me but I think it is a common issue in the realm of negative stains. I can't recall what the origin is though.
Do you recognize it?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2760/4419262115_873a3368d2_o.jpg
Plus-x
D-76 (1:1) at 20º
Tetenal Superfix
Ilford wash Aid (I normally use Kodak's Hypo Clear)
Developed in tray.
The whole 6 negatives have the same stains in different degrees.
It might have been the last of the D-76 bottle.

Ramiro Elena
14-Mar-2010, 04:09
How do you know it's a stain ?

Have you tried cleaning a small part of the film with some alcohol or film cleaner ?

Have you tried washing one piece in water, and letting it dry again ?

Well, to call it something... it's the first time i've experienced any issue at all with developing so I really don't know what it is.

I swear I was just thinking about rubbing a q-tip with some alcohol while sitting in the toilet just 5 min ago :D
I'll try the re-wash although I get the feeling it will not work. The "spots" don't seem to be superficial to the base but in it.

Also, the film hasn't been frozen nor refrigerated, I keep it in a drawer. I think it might have been the last 6 sheets of the box and the rest were fine.