PDA

View Full Version : Aristo 8100 VCL equivalent exposures

jeroldharter
8-Mar-2010, 15:06
I picked up one of these light sources. Have not received it yet (I will hope for the best). Have never used one either.

Does anyone have a method for equivalent exposures at different contrast grades similar to using a dichroic head where for example the exposure at 20Y + 40M at grade 2 = 10Y + 60M at grade 2.5?

Or maybe a time multiple so that if I make contrast grade changes then I can make time or B/G proportion changes to maintain the equivalent exposure?

Is this wishful thinking? Thanks.

Keith Pitman
8-Mar-2010, 16:36
I've never used one, but you can pretty easily set up a test protocol and then use the BTZS software (I think I've seen you say that you have it), to establish the grades. That's what I did when I was printing with a Zone VI non-VC head. Steve Anchell also describes a similar testing method that can be done without a densitometer in his VC printing book.

ic-racer
8-Mar-2010, 16:49
You are going to have to tough it out and make the chart :) . Its not too bad, but tedious.
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/55179-making-multigrade-calibration-table-color-head.html

jeroldharter
8-Mar-2010, 17:58
You are going to have to tough it out and make the chart :) . Its not too bad, but tedious.
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/55179-making-multigrade-calibration-table-color-head.html

Thanks for the link. That is what I thought. The right answer is always "test" but the irresistible impulse is to ask if testing is necessary.

Any way to use a color analyzer to adjust the aperture to equalize one filtration to the next, sort of like cibachrome printing?

evan clarke
9-Mar-2010, 05:38
F stop timer and meter, almost never misses...Evan Clarke

jeroldharter
9-Mar-2010, 07:19
F stop timer and meter, almost never misses...Evan Clarke

Thanks Evan. I will give that a try. After a very long ramp up period (and with help from others - thanks Evan), I am just about ready to make my first 8x10 enlargements. And just as I am getting started, I buy a new light source. I have 20 sheets remaining to process before I get going and plan to finish that today.

evan clarke
9-Mar-2010, 07:31
Cool. I'm off on a new tangent, bought an 11x14 and have just started making sheets/contact prints. Pretty happy so far, can dodge and burn them just like enlargements..TTYL..Evan

ic-racer
9-Mar-2010, 08:55
Thanks for the link. That is what I thought. The right answer is always "test" but the irresistible impulse is to ask if testing is necessary.

Any way to use a color analyzer to adjust the aperture to equalize one filtration to the next, sort of like cibachrome printing?

No, a meter or analyzer won't help. You would need to somehow have it programmed for a 'middle-gray-based-speed' for every permutation of contrast you intend to check. That is because the paper speed (based on middle gray) will be different for all the contrasts (otherwise you wouldn't need to make a chart ! ) Basically, to calibrate the meter, you need to do the trial-and-error test prints and you end up just making the chart you wanted in the first place. Then you don't need the meter.