PDA

View Full Version : Durst L1200 Multigraph head

Matthew Rolfe
8-Mar-2010, 08:49
I recently purchased this wonderful enlarger but I am having trouble getting it to do what I want. I have plenty of experience printing black and white, on a wide variety of enlargers. But the 'keyboard' or 'control panel' is driving me insane!!

I am running some tests for PEI, N, N+1 ETC.. All I want to do is set the exposure time and set the contrast and do some test prints. Just how you would with an enlarger without a 'keyboard'. Every time I try it always adjusts the exposure time to compensate for contrast, or vice versa. I would imagine that the previous owner had programmed it for his own work, so I need to erase or reset so that I can start from the simplest of printing and then programme it for my own work.

Can you reset all settings?
How do I go about using the enlarger so that I can select exposure time and grade without it constantly adjusting what I put in??

I'm in no doubt that I will fall in love with the enlarger, and all of its calibration features will work perfectly for me in the future. But right now I just want to put in an exposure time, put in a grade and print....just like any simple enlarger. Help!!:confused:

Renato Tonelli
8-Mar-2010, 10:59
The keyboard can be reprogrammed to the paper you are using. Durst published the data for various papers ( some of it no longer up to date) on the owner's manual. You input the data for each channel to a specific paper. New papers can be tested to obtain the data (I have not had to do this yet).

You can 'override' the system:

Pick a Channel and set the contrast.
Input the exposure time.

The contrast will not change unless you want to change it.
The time will change every time you make changes in the contrast but you can defeat this feature by simply pushing the (+) or (-) buttons to add or subtract seconds; you can also do this with the %+ / %- feature, which is very helpful for dry-down.

I have one of these and I truly love it. You will be spoiled by it.

Let me know if you need more information.

Matthew Rolfe
8-Mar-2010, 12:10
Thanks Renato,

I select a channel, select a grade, then input the exposure time I require. When I press expose the timer it actually starts counting down from a longer time (I input 2 secs and the timer starts at about 3.2 seconds)

From reading the manual I know that the head will make minor adjustments just before exposure to maintain a constant light output. But surely it is something else that is overriding my exposure input?

Renato Tonelli
8-Mar-2010, 13:25
Thanks Renato,

I select a channel, select a grade, then input the exposure time I require. When I press expose the timer it actually starts counting down from a longer time (I input 2 secs and the timer starts at about 3.2 seconds)

From reading the manual I know that the head will make minor adjustments just before exposure to maintain a constant light output. But surely it is something else that is overriding my exposure input?

Ah yes! This drove me to distraction until someone at Durst explained it to me in simple terms: depending on the contrast grade and time combination, the shutter in the head needs extra time to open and close. The unit is also adjusting for filtration density in order to maintain the required exposure. That's why, even though you may have entered 8 seconds, when you hit expose it will start a countdown from 13 seconds or whatever..

To make a long and confusing explanation short: The unit is working correctly.-

Matthew Rolfe
9-Mar-2010, 06:38
Renato, many thanks for clearing that up.

All the best.

Matthew