PDA

View Full Version : Gitzo 1548 Carbon Fibre Tripod

David Nash
8-Apr-1999, 13:23
I'm considering this tripod, after a leg clamp snapped on my Manfrotto/Bogen.

I use fairly heavy monorail cameras (Arca M-Line 5x4" with an Arca B2 monoball, and will also use an Arca 10x8" M-Line).

I know the Gitzo 1548 only extends to around 5 feet, but I can live with that. It appeals because of its light weight for this class of tripod, and I think it might be solid. I've not actually seen this model, so I'd like some feedback be fore I buy one.

I'd like to know if anyone has used this particlar model; whether it's stable an ough for large 10x8" cameras; whether it's well-built and likely to last a long time, etc.

I'm not sure if I like the Gitzo leg locks - they seem hard to operate, but then the Manfrooto clamps are obviously weak, and they can be knocked open accidentl y.

Any opinions would be grateflly received...

David Nash

Carlos Co
8-Apr-1999, 14:43
David, you might want to consider the Ries A series tripods as well.

Ellis Vener
8-Apr-1999, 15:59
Are you doing studio or field work?

Sean Donnelly
10-Apr-1999, 15:10
I shoot 4x5 from a Gitzo 1348 and have found the tripod to have ample stability and freedom from vibration. I believe it's plenty of tripod for any 4x5 and all but the heaviest (e.g. Sinar P2) 8x10 cameras. The 1548 is considerably beefier than the 1348; I think it's big enough for any 8x10.

The Gitzo leg locks are secure and nearly indestructable, and never need adjustment. I think new users tend to tighten the locks more than is necessary -- they clamp really well with only modest torque -- causing them to be unnecessarily difficult to loosen.