PDA

View Full Version : Wow, insanity on ebay with 135mm f3.5 Planars

Vick Ko
6-Mar-2010, 20:27
Wow, insanity on ebay with 135mm f3.5 Planars

And they aren't even the T* coated lens:

120532203383 - sold $10K
290406923288 - didn't sell but wanted more than $8888

Seems that I remember a T* version of the lens selling for much much less last year, but I understand the T* version is supremely special.

Vick

Frank Petronio
6-Mar-2010, 21:16
Yeah like $1800 was average last I looked. And $800 for the pretty much the same lens in the Xenotar flavor. And that was when the economy was better!

On another thread some people made points that these outlandish prices could be some sort of scams.

Allen in Montreal
6-Mar-2010, 21:58
I got one of these from a friend of my dad years and years ago,
they are really nice in black and white,
BUT NOT 10K nice!!
is this the new money laundering thing? Expensive glass? :D

Jay Wolfe
7-Mar-2010, 07:56
A few years ago some guy called them "Future Classics." I guess the publicity was self fulfilling.

Brian Ellis
7-Mar-2010, 10:09
It seems like there's been a spate of auctions in the last few weeks where the winning bidder supposedly has paid well into five figures for a relatively unremarkable camera lens. It looks like some kind of trick or joke or scam or something other than a true arms-length sale between unrelated parties is going on.

Richard K.
7-Mar-2010, 10:16
It seems like there's been a spate of auctions in the last few weeks where the winning bidder supposedly has paid well into five figures for a relatively unremarkable camera lens. It looks like some kind of trick or joke or scam or something other than a true arms-length sale between unrelated parties is going on.

I would hope that this isn't an exploitation of Second Chance Offers (where the high (shill) bidder renegs). It would seem unlikely to get up into the stratosphere that way, though. Maybe the scammer (if there IS one) thinks that after people have seen those lenses a few times at those prices, they don't want to lose out the next time (he decides when because he still has it) when a coiuple of them bid it up? I duuno. Any other thoughts on how this could work?

Nathan Potter
7-Mar-2010, 10:32
Is there not some kind of federal restriction on shipping more than $10K out of the US for purchase of goods or for deposit in foreign banks? Or maybe that's just a maximum amount of cash you can have when traveling out of the country? The laundering scheme using *bay seems like a good idea but I'm not sure one could move enough cash that way.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

CG
7-Mar-2010, 10:51
Stupid.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
7-Mar-2010, 10:53
Moving sums more than $10,000 needs to be declared to customs, that is all.

Is there not some kind of federal restriction on shipping more than $10K out of the US for purchase of goods or for deposit in foreign banks? Or maybe that's just a maximum amount of cash you can have when traveling out of the country? The laundering scheme using *bay seems like a good idea but I'm not sure one could move enough cash that way.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

8x10 user
7-Mar-2010, 23:01
Another possibility is that it is a scammer. I know that there are some scammers who target sellers of high interest high value easy to sell items. I once had someone spoof a Paypal payment in my email that did not actually show up in my Paypal account in an attempt to get my to ship the item without payment. I also get a lot of spoof emails that try to get me to put my log in information onto a fake PayPal/ebay website. Those get forwarded straight to spoof@ebay.com.