PDA

View Full Version : Darkroom apron - do you use one?

William McEwen
5-Mar-2010, 16:57
I don't, but maybe I should. Feel free to tell me about yours - where you got it, if it's saved your clothing, etc.

Richard Wasserman
5-Mar-2010, 17:04
No, I just wear expendable clothes, although I can't remember ever messing anything up with photo chemicals. I do however wear a lab coat when selenium toning–not quite sure why....

Ken Lee
5-Mar-2010, 17:11
I bought one at a cooking store. Black, strong, with a couple of pockets.

bvstaples
5-Mar-2010, 17:14
Yes, makes me feel like a mad chemist!

Louie Powell
5-Mar-2010, 17:35
I have two. One is plain black and came from at art supply store. The manufacturer originally sold it for use as the basis for a fabric decorating project. I tend to use this one in workshops or similar public appearances.

The other one I bought for $1 at a flea market. It came with a silk-screened decoration advertising the supplier - a Vermont specialty machine shop. It started out beige with green silk-screening, but after being used for more than 20 years, it has acquired many distinctive darkroom stains. I do wash it occasionally - every three to four years if it is really grungy.

Steve Feldman
5-Mar-2010, 17:39
Developer will stain your clothing. A/B litho developer will badly stain clothing, fingers and fingernails.

Jon Wilson
5-Mar-2010, 18:57
I got one from APUG a couiple of years ago and it has the apug logo.....it does save clothes.

bigdog
5-Mar-2010, 19:10
I often wear one when mixing chemicals or emptying trays, but not when just printing or processing film. I have one of those apug ones and another cloth one (very similar) that was a few bucks at a woodworking store.

Jeremy Moore
5-Mar-2010, 19:25
I just wear old clothes, no darkroom apron.

Oren Grad
5-Mar-2010, 19:29
No apron, I just have a set of old clothes reserved for the darkroom.

Renato Tonelli
5-Mar-2010, 20:57
I wear one when mixing chemicals and cleaning up - sometimes I will also wear a white lab jacket to protect my long-sleeve shirt.

Vick Vickery
5-Mar-2010, 21:44
I always did...clothes are expensive! :)

Louie Powell
6-Mar-2010, 05:15
I just wear old clothes, no darkroom apron.

All of my clothes are old.:)

Louie Powell
6-Mar-2010, 05:18
On a more serious note - - -

Many years ago I bought a small bottle of Kalt Stain Out at a photo shop (that's a store that sells photographic stuff - not a computer program).

Stain Out removes photographic stains from clothing. The bottle has lasted a long time because I don't need it often (because I use an apron in the darkroom), but when I do need it, it is invaluable.

Filmnut
6-Mar-2010, 08:45
I just wear old clothes. A friend of mine got one of those orange "prison style" jumpsuits
to print in though. Pretty neat!

BetterSense
6-Mar-2010, 10:35
I always did...clothes are expensive!
Exactly. Who needs them. I certainly don't, not when it's nearly 30C in my darkroom.

Tracy Storer
6-Mar-2010, 10:55
I have a stack of old darkroom-only towels, and wash them often. Sometimes I wrap one around my waist or tuck it into the pants as an ad-hoc apron.

Ben Calwell
6-Mar-2010, 12:34
I used to wear one, and I think it was made by Kodak -- a black vinyl thing that wasn't too comfortable. Now I just wear old clothes in the darkroom.

Thom Bennett
6-Mar-2010, 12:56
I wear one that is rubberized cloth that I got from a medical supply store. It is long, too and very comfortable. I also wear those urethane Birkenstock clogs; you can spill anything on them and they are great for standing in the darkroom all day.

William McEwen
6-Mar-2010, 13:02
It appears Sally Beauty Supply has some good ones that are well made and reasonably priced.

jeroldharter
6-Mar-2010, 13:15
I like wearing an apron. Most of the time I am in the darkroom is in cold weather so it does help keep me warm somewhat. Also, it has pockets for pens, pocket safelight, Q-tips and cotton balls, etc.

I use an apron from Duluth Trading Company that is not made anymore, but something like these:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/85021.aspx?feature=product_3&kw=apron&processor=content

http://duluthpack.com/canvas-apron.html

Eric Woodbury
6-Mar-2010, 13:53
I started wearing a lab coat when I'm using Amidol. That stuff stains. Anyway, it's not bad. Makes me look like a doc and it gives me a couple of pockets.

jmcd
6-Mar-2010, 16:31
I have lightweight plastic one that Photographer's Formulary used to sell—if you have little clothes on you have to remember that this one is clear! I like it but it is on its last legs, so I will study this thread to find another type.

Graham Patterson
6-Mar-2010, 17:57
I have a black cotton apron. I put a snap clasp on the waist ties to make it easier to put on and take off. My rationale is that I am only likely to spill chemicals when I am not wearing it, so wearing the apron helps keep the floor clean! I try not to wear really good clothes when the wet side is in use.

Joseph O'Neil
7-Mar-2010, 12:23
Never use an apron ( though not a bad idea), but I do keep a supply of hand towels I buy from the local dollar and/or discount store.

Oxyclean seems to do a good job getting fixer stains out of fabric. Your mileage may vary.

Fred L
7-Mar-2010, 16:11
used to use a fabric one but errant sprays of water would soak through. currently using a nylon Ilford one but find it's too stiff. anyone have experience with Freestyle aprons ?

William McEwen
7-Mar-2010, 17:49
http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=apron

Here are a few of the aprons from Sally Beauty Supply.

Frank Petronio
7-Mar-2010, 19:43
In the day, myself and a lot of my pro darkroom friends would wear a towel tucked into the fronts of our pants. And in the Summer a gym towel around our necks, Vietnam style.

Vaughn
7-Mar-2010, 19:47
I use an old Kodak freebie. I should wash the thing again someday.

Mark Sawyer
8-Mar-2010, 00:09
Does a bathrobe count?