PDA

View Full Version : Ilford HP4: Help Evaluating two Exposures

rguinter
5-Mar-2010, 11:18
Greetings:

In my early days of LF phtography I was not so efficient at recording field notes. I wonder if anyone can help me identify which photo is which. Two attached: both taken with Ilford HP4 film. One without any filters and the other with a Red-25 and two stops additional exposure.

Finally getting around to scanning these many years later and I'm at a loss to say which is which. And I have a whole series that were done the same from different locations around the mill. Any thoughts from those with more experience? The mill building is a moderate brown color. Thanks. Bob G.

dsphotog
5-Mar-2010, 11:32
Hi Bob,
I'd say the one on the left was shot w/ the red filter. The blue in the sky is darkened, & the mill building has been lightened by it.

Scott Walker
5-Mar-2010, 11:35
I'll second that, image on the left is filtered.

Gem Singer
5-Mar-2010, 11:39
I agree. The one on the left was shot with a red filter.

Assuming that the bridge is a rusty (red) color, and you mentioned that the mill is a brownish color, a red filter will lighten the two.

Also, the sky (blue) is slightly darker on the photo on the left.

Lachlan 717
5-Mar-2010, 13:25
Are you going to ask a supplementary question, "Which do people prefer"?

rguinter
6-Mar-2010, 11:04
Are you going to ask a supplementary question, "Which do people prefer"?

Actually no I wasn't going to ask about preference. These two shots never got beyond looking at the negatives on a lightbox many years ago. Then put away until I finally got around to scanning them this week. They were among my first B&W photos on 4x5-inch film.

Thanks to all who confirmed which is which. I was thinking that the red-25 should lighten a medium brown building and that was my original thought. But due to the two stop increase in exposure the overall difference between the two shots was subtle. And to make matters worse, way back when I reversed the labels on the negatives adding to the confusion.

About preference well mine is for darker skies and I have moved on to doing a lot of infrared lately. About this mill building, I've photographed it many times over the years but only recently gotten a few photos that I actually like. Nice that its close enough to make it an easy trip.

Cheers. Bob G.

sun of sand
6-Mar-2010, 15:20
Did anyone else laugh?

LOL

neil poulsen
6-Mar-2010, 16:37
To me, there's a good panorama there if you cut off about the top 20% and the bottom 25%.

rguinter
6-Mar-2010, 20:37
Did anyone else laugh?

LOL

Best when you can laugh at yourself. I have to chuckle a bit when I think back how I made this photo... lugging a vintage 4x5-monorail camera out onto the ice with all the lenses and accessories. I'm older and less foolish these days. I also climbed out to center span on that rickety old railroad bridge. Missing quite a few of its ties. And wasn't the best place for setting up a tripod.

No I still don't like these series of shots enough to print them. I'll have to keep trying. Bob G.

sun of sand
6-Mar-2010, 23:33
I wanted to be clear I wasn't laughing at you
well not personally
or

I found it funny

?

Did he ask whi

...the

one on the left

k

stare